By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Crysis Sold 3+ Million!

shio said:
Chroniczaaa said:

The game looks like it cost a fortune to make it look and play that good, so congrats to the makers on the sales.

It only cost $22 millions, and that probably includes the engine's development costs.

Killzone 2 cost $60 millions, 3 times as much, yet still sold less than Crysis.

Halo 3 cost $250 millions, including the marketing costs. That's 11 times more expensive than Crysis, but it "only" sold less than 4 times as much.

$60 million? Its $20 million.

$60 million is for GT 5.

Around the Network
mantlepiecek said:
shio said:
Chroniczaaa said:

The game looks like it cost a fortune to make it look and play that good, so congrats to the makers on the sales.

It only cost $22 millions, and that probably includes the engine's development costs.

Killzone 2 cost $60 millions, 3 times as much, yet still sold less than Crysis.

Halo 3 cost $250 millions, including the marketing costs. That's 11 times more expensive than Crysis, but it "only" sold less than 4 times as much.

$60 million? Its $20 million.

$60 million is for GT 5.

I think $60 million is already counting the marketing costs for Killzone 2. But the budget for the development is $45 million, not $20mil

I think Crysis is no doubt far more profitable than Killzone 2, and possibly even more profitable than Halo 3.

shio said:

I think Crysis is no doubt far more profitable than Killzone 2, and possibly even more profitable than Halo 3.

Yes, its the most profitable benchmark tool ever made. Way more profitable than 3D mark Vantage or any of that other stuff...

Seriously though, you said Halo 3 cost 250 million? What are you smoking? The game cost 30-40 million and had a 10 million advertising budget. I really want to find a thread where you don't completely embarass yourself with rediculous claims...

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/10/17/tech/gamecore/main3377433.shtml?source=RSSattr=GameCore_3377433

kowenicki said:

that not very many is it... ?

4.5 million is pretty good for two games (Warhead probably costed fraction of original as it used pretty much same assets). Outside of Halo and Cod I can't think other shooters this gen that sold 4.5 million (or 3 million). Resistance is another if you combine both games but other ?

Around the Network

for the info that game has been 10 dollars in Australia for almost 2 years now

Bet with Conegamer and Doobie_wop 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

kowenicki said:
KillerMan said:
kowenicki said:

4.5 million is pretty good for two games (Warhead probably costed fraction of original as it used pretty much same assets). Outside of Halo and Cod I can't think other shooters this gen that sold 4.5 million (or 3 million). Resistance is another if you combine both games but other ?

Shooters or fps?

whats the pc gaming install base?  we have no idea.... but its effin huge.

It is huge, but what does that have to do with anything? Any game selling 3 million copies is a good thing.Those sales mean they can afford to move to consoles and release console versions meaning more profit for them so it's a win-win.

That, and remember this is Crysis. The install base that can actually run the game is probably a lot smaller then for a game like Half-Life 2.

One of the reasons I suspect Crysis has sold so well is that it is still the game that it is one of the few games that can show off new hardware (to some extent) ...

While most PC games are designed around the performance of the HD consoles (similar to 5 year old gaming PC performance) Crysis was released and designed to push hardware that didn't exist at the time; and this makes it one of the few games on the market which can show off what a modern GPU can do.

disolitude said:
shio said:

Yes, its the most profitable benchmark tool ever made. Way more profitable than 3D mark Vantage or any of that other stuff...

Seriously though, you said Halo 3 cost 250 million? What are you smoking? The game cost 30-40 million and had a 10 million advertising budget. I really want to find a thread where you don't completely embarass yourself with rediculous claims...

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/10/17/tech/gamecore/main3377433.shtml?source=RSSattr=GameCore_3377433

Says $55 million with a $200 million marketing budget here- http://kotaku.com/5479819/report-the-ten-most-expensive-video-game-budgets-apparently-are

kowenicki said:

For a game that was widely derided as a flop on a supposedly dying platform? I'd say it was plenty, unless of course you expect COD/ Halo-type figures. For comparison, Far Cry 2 looks like it sold less across 3 platforms, and that was considered a success. Regardless, it was very profitable (by far the most important thing and something which seems to be routinely forgotten on here) for Crytek and allowed them to substantially expand their studios.