By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony CONFIDENT sales of PS3 to top 11 million by End of this fiscal year!!

Too much worrying about the exact number of PS3s that will be sold isn't that helpful at this point.

Right now Sony just needs to focus on building a stellar game library as it has been doing and the sales will follow.

Gamers don't buy a console because of Sony's sales predictions; they buy it because it has great games.

Around the Network
ClaudeLv250 said:
Squall_Leonhart said:
Sullla said:
rickytan said:
It's possible. If it sells 400k a week like it did this past week. I'd say it'll sell 10 million strong.

This is a point that also needs to be addressed. We have a lot of newer members at VGChartz who aren't familiar with what sales look like in a non-holiday period. The numbers for all consoles will plummet after we cross over into 2008. Expect sales for all platforms to drop by about 80% in January. Here are the numbers for the PS3 from last January and February, for example:

Feb. 24: PS3 49k
Feb. 17: PS3 52k
Feb. 10: PS3 66k
Feb. 03: PS3 69k
Jan. 27: PS3 73k
Jan. 20: PS3 78k
Jan. 13: PS3 88k
Jan. 06: PS3 135k

These are worldwide weekly sales, not specific to any region. Now I expect that the PS3 will sell better in 2008 than it did in 2007, but expecting much over 100k weekly is really pushing it. If you think that the system will be able to move 400k units weekly, prepare to be disappointed.

Thing is about these figures you have to take into account that there were no PS3's  being sold in the PAL regions (which is a huge gaming area) so these figures for the console will be higher this time around. Also you have to take into account the fact that there are much more games out on the console now, a few of which i would class as AAA (R&C and Uncharted being two)...

I hope that Sony manage 11 Million consoles, it would be a great turnaround :D 

Even taking these into account doesn't mean much. Sales will still plummet below a level where they could reasonably obtain such a goal, and R&C and Uncharted are hardly pushing consoles.

Well it will still be higher than the numbers quoted so i am still correct! And as for Uncharted not pushing systems, i'm sure a load of PS3 owners in the PAL regions will disagree with that, as 220,000 consoles sold in one week speaks for itself :P

I think they won't sell 11million ps3 this fiscal years,not to costumers, nor to retailers

FishyJoe said:

11m LTD by March 31, 2008 is a made up number. It's not the number published in Sony's own financial documents. The only people perpetuating this number are the uninformed.

The OFFICIAL number published in Sony's own financial statements is 11m for the fiscal year of 2007 only. The previous fiscal year, as reported in Sony's own financial statements, the PS3 recorded 3.57 million shipments.

Therefor the total number of expected PS3 shipments as of March 31, 2008 is 14.57 million.

Let me repeat, 14.57m is the expected PS3 shipments as of March 31, 2008 and is clearly specified in Sony's OFFICIAL financial statements.

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/07q1_eleki.pdf

FishyJoe is right. Even though this has been repeated countless times by different posters in several threads, most people still seem to be posting without this in mind.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

ya right.

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
FishyJoe said:

11m LTD by March 31, 2008 is a made up number. It's not the number published in Sony's own financial documents. The only people perpetuating this number are the uninformed.

The OFFICIAL number published in Sony's own financial statements is 11m for the fiscal year of 2007 only. The previous fiscal year, as reported in Sony's own financial statements, the PS3 recorded 3.57 million shipments.

Therefor the total number of expected PS3 shipments as of March 31, 2008 is 14.57 million.

Let me repeat, 14.57m is the expected PS3 shipments as of March 31, 2008 and is clearly specified in Sony's OFFICIAL financial statements.

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/07q1_eleki.pdf

FishyJoe is right. Even though this has been repeated countless times by different posters in several threads, most people still seem to be posting without this in mind.

That's because most of the people reporting these things don't get that... cause they are lazy and just filling headlines. Unless Sony is suddenly trying to pull a slick trick and say they meant 11 million total instead of 11 million for the fiscal year.

@NJ5

many people are new n uninformed..

you just can't expect everyone to know this..

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

Consoles owned - SNES, N64, PS, GC, PS2, PSP, PS3

I DO NOT support Xbox

My prediction for YEARS END:

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

Playstation 3 - 8.5 Million

Kaz is smoking some serious hashish. The only way Sony could pull this off, is to do some "trick" like selling 2-3m units to their own "retail" stores.

They will end up with around 11m sold (lifetime) by end of March '08 - which is around 2.5m for the qrt (Q1 '08). Give 1.5m (approx) for shipments/channel stuffing, and they will miss their forecast by 2-3m.

The price cut has moved them closer to their target - but they are still off by a mile. I don't know what BIG titles they have hitting Q1 '08 to help them either - no GTA, no MGS, no LBP, HOME?, Killzone, etc...

All in all, the numbers have turned out pretty much as expected - see posts from 9 months ago (when Sony first announced the 11m target) for proof.

Its also worth noting that Sony selling 2.5m units in Q1 '08 - will be a challenge in itself. Its a 14 week period - thats an average of almost 200k / week (worldwide) sustained. They were selling less than half (80k/week) in the same qrt 12 months ago.

If sales drop off 75%-80% (post Xmas) as expected - sales will be around 100k / week.

I'm looking forward to see what tricks they have to pull out of their bag post-Xmas... 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

I would like to see that,. Maybe 11 million by may 2008, the sales are not high enough yet, however they are picking up.

I don't know why everyone's ripping on sony here. the 11 million or whatever it is, is an estimate! its not a guarentee, its not a promise, so why make a big deal about it?