By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you prefer when a video game has a story?

Do you prefer when a video game has a story?

No storyline 7 6.36%

Light storyline 11 10.00%

Heavy storyline 69 62.73%

I dont have a particular preference 23 20.91%

Total:110
Scoobes said:

Depends on the genre. Certain game genres (mainly traditional core genres) and storytelling tend to go well together. RPGs and adventure games immediately come to mind (the heavy story option). But other less obvious genres like FPS/TPS, RTS, platformers and even sports games (where you start your own character/career) can benefit from some sort of narrative (the light option). In these genres the narrative isn't essential however, but is nice to have something present to push the game along.

Other genres however don;t need any storyline whatsoever and can thrive completely on gameplay like puzzle games, beat-em ups etc. 

Agreed, good post. Personally, I tend to not like puzzle games, beat em up ect. since theres no story. But I agree those genres arent easily suitable for story telling. Im sure combining both is possible though (puzzle quest comes to mind). You example about sports game where you start your own carreer is quite good.

Around the Network

I don't have a particular preference.

My favorite genres are p&c adventure, RPG and action adventure, but atm I'm playing Tetris.

Scoobes said:

Depends on the genre. Certain game genres (mainly traditional core genres) and storytelling tend to go well together. RPGs and adventure games immediately come to mind (the heavy story option). But other less obvious genres like FPS/TPS, RTS, platformers and even sports games (where you start your own character/career) can benefit from some sort of narrative (the light option). In these genres the narrative isn't essential however, but is nice to have something present to push the game along.

Other genres however don;t need any storyline whatsoever and can thrive completely on gameplay like puzzle games, beat-em ups etc. 

Good post.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

I sooner finish an average game with an average story then a great game with no story.

For example this year I finished Alan Wake and Enslaved before even touching Mario Galaxy 2. The storylines kept me going through fallout NV despite all the crash bugs, same for RDR.  Without the backstory and character storylines Mass Effect 2 just turns into an average shooter instead of goty material.

The lighter the story the less chance I'll play the game. I already got bored within the demo time of just cause 2 and crackdown.

I would like to see a revival of pre-rendered cutscenes. They used to be a reward and a treat to watch. Nowadays they mostly highlight all the short comings of the game engine, ugly close ups with blurry textures, geometry and textures popping in when switching camera angles, badly rendered shadows. And most of the cutscenes are very timid not to stress the engine.

Final fantasy 13 got the cutscneres right at least. The cutscenes in white knight chronicles where far and few between but they were stunning. Ratchet and clank crack in time also did it right. Turn up the detail, the lighting, the shadows and use some high res textures for the cutscenes, do some crazy stuff, make me want to watch them a 2nd time. Make me look forward to the next gen where the gameplay might look like as good as the cutscenes now.

And don't use bink 'destroy your video' compression ever again ugh.

It's nice to say games can match toy story 2 like graphics, can the cutscenes please strife for toy story 3 / Avatar like quality. It's not 1999 anymore.

It heavily depends on the game.

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

Around the Network
RageBot said:

It heavily depends on the game.

But what is your preference? Do you prefer genre that usually dont have (or need) story?

I need a good story but more importantly I need that story grounded in a strong universe.  The more immersed i am in a game the more i enjoy it.

Games like mass effect 1 and 2, heavy rain, alan wake, dragon age origins, infamous, red dead and the uncharted games all are gaming highlights to me because I enjoyed the games story, characters, atmosphere and universe.  

jester2358 said:

I need a good story but more importantly I need that story grounded in a strong universe.  The more immersed i am in a game the more i enjoy it.

Games like mass effect 1 and 2, heavy rain, alan wake, dragon age origins, infamous, red dead and the uncharted games all are gaming highlights to me because I enjoyed the games story, characters, atmosphere and universe.  

They are highlights to me too (beside RDR since I didnt play it). I also found the PS2 library to be quite compelling in this regard, and you?

all i have to say is what i want in sequels is a new story line just that

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

zgamer5 said:

all i have to say is what i want in sequels is a new story line just that

Agreed! Personally, im fine with the basic idea staying the same, but I want something different going on. As seen with games like Uncharted, Final Fantasy, MGS...