By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you prefer when a video game has a story?

Do you prefer when a video game has a story?

No storyline 7 6.36%

Light storyline 11 10.00%

Heavy storyline 69 62.73%

I dont have a particular preference 23 20.91%

Total:110
Icyedge said:
jester2358 said:

Can't say,.while I had a ps2 and a ps1 I didnt really start "gaming" until the hd consoles launched. The HD collections are a great thing for me.

I quite literally cant play games without a story. tetris, limbo and games that have low quality stories i just wont play. Not worth it to me If I dont get a good yarn. 

Same here, the latest exception I can think of are the PixelJunk game. Did you try pixel junk shooter? I found the game to be quite enjoyable even though the story is almost non existent. If not, I dont really care for the story when I play couch multiplayer game, games a la little big planet or NSMB.

I dabble in downloadable titles but cant commit more than a few hours to anything without an interesting narrative

I did enjoy pixeljunk shooter but I only played it for maybe 2 hours, any longer and the lack of story would have got to me.

Around the Network

No, I don't like stories ruining games.

No game has ever needed a story just as no film needs a game (except Tron obviously).

Would Buckaroo have been a better game if the horse had a name and a history? What about the patient in the game of Operation?

I asked a five year old, why does Bowser kidnap the Princess? The response was that if he didn't we wouldn't have a Mario game to play.

Excessive story is a cheap gimmick to try and keep people 'playing' the game instead of using replayability like a real game does.

The truth about videogames, the great ones at least, is that they could have all the story removed, the graphics and music could be reduced to 8 or 16 bit quality, and they would still be the greatest games of all time.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Aiddon said:

well, if we're going by the argument that stories are somehow required or make a game better I have to be blunt: NO. Games did not start with stories and are not exactly meant to tell one. Mario, Pokemon, and Contra for instance have SETTINGS but I wouldn't say they have stories to tell. Entire GENRES don't havce stories such as puzzle games or fighting games. And a lot of the time a game just gets bogged down by a story because it gets in the way of the gameplay so story and gameplay are sort of mortal enemies. For instance, MGS4, Xenosaga, FFXIII, and Alan Wake have TERRIBLE or poorly told plots that get in the way of the gameplay. Heavy Rain might as well NOT have gameplay because it's so focused on telling a story that it sacrifices the game aspect. Same thing with Enslaved and Heavenly Sword.

Now, that's not to say that a game CAN'T tell a story. If you can tell a story that's GOOD, go for it but make sure you never bring up the question of "why didn't you just write a book/movie?". Stuff like Matsuno's entire catalog, Metroid: Other M, Xenogears, Silent Hill, Chrono Cross, Valkyrie Profile, Blazblue, Bioshock, Odin Sphere, Bioware's titles, No More Heroes, the SMT franchise, quite a few of the FF series, and Parasite Eve (excluding Third Birthday -shudder-) have told compelling, interesting narratives with three-dimensional characters. But that doesn't exactly make them BETTER than the non-story games like Vanquish or Tetris, it just makes them equally as good in a different way because variety is a necessity.

But anyway, a story doesn't make a game better, that's just plain untrue. I wish Yahtzee would understand that.

Agreed but I would swap Xenosaga from the 1st paragraph with Metroid Other M thats in the 2nd paragraph.

Icyedge said:
dunno001 said:

If a game has a story, great. But, first and foremost to me is gameplay. A game with great gameplay but no story is better than a game with a lot of story and mediocre gameplay. Unfortunately, things are shifting more to the latter on that, at least from my perspective...

I agree, but personally, story is still more important then gameplay. Like you, I dont want a crap gameplay. But if the gameplay is only average, but the story is very good, see Xenosaga as example, its perfectly fine with me. I do understand it isnt the case for everyone though. So what do you think of game with average gameplay but good story? Do you like playing them or not?

I can enjoy them, but very frequently, they get bumped by something that has better gameplay. I've beaten DQ9, for instance- it does have a weak story, but the gameplay (and daily DQVC) keep me playing it even still. My problem with something that's story-heavy, even if the gameplay is great, is replayability. My first time playing Persona 3, the game ate me up wholesale- great story AND great gameplay. But, because of the story playing such a strong role in it, Persona 3 Portable languishes in my PSP.

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...

Rob-Ot said:
Aiddon said:

well, if we're going by the argument that stories are somehow required or make a game better I have to be blunt: NO. Games did not start with stories and are not exactly meant to tell one. Mario, Pokemon, and Contra for instance have SETTINGS but I wouldn't say they have stories to tell. Entire GENRES don't havce stories such as puzzle games or fighting games. And a lot of the time a game just gets bogged down by a story because it gets in the way of the gameplay so story and gameplay are sort of mortal enemies. For instance, MGS4, Xenosaga, FFXIII, and Alan Wake have TERRIBLE or poorly told plots that get in the way of the gameplay. Heavy Rain might as well NOT have gameplay because it's so focused on telling a story that it sacrifices the game aspect. Same thing with Enslaved and Heavenly Sword.

Now, that's not to say that a game CAN'T tell a story. If you can tell a story that's GOOD, go for it but make sure you never bring up the question of "why didn't you just write a book/movie?". Stuff like Matsuno's entire catalog, Metroid: Other M, Xenogears, Silent Hill, Chrono Cross, Valkyrie Profile, Blazblue, Bioshock, Odin Sphere, Bioware's titles, No More Heroes, the SMT franchise, quite a few of the FF series, and Parasite Eve (excluding Third Birthday -shudder-) have told compelling, interesting narratives with three-dimensional characters. But that doesn't exactly make them BETTER than the non-story games like Vanquish or Tetris, it just makes them equally as good in a different way because variety is a necessity.

But anyway, a story doesn't make a game better, that's just plain untrue. I wish Yahtzee would understand that.

Agreed but I would swap Xenosaga from the 1st paragraph with Metroid Other M thats in the 2nd paragraph.

um....no. I've played the Xenosaga series and they have TERRIBLY told stories that kill the momentum of the narratives with cutscenes that go on and on and on and on. It doesn't help that most of the playable cast is essentially pointless, including the heroine Shion (who is one of the most selfish, bratty, unlikable heroines I have EVER seen). No where near its spiritual predecessor Xenogears that had an interesting cast (Fei and Elly especially) that had complex arcs and a legitimately epic plot. Say what you will about Other M, it at least had the decency to keep its story relatively simple despite having a bad case of telling and not showing and having long scenes near the end of the plot. Sad part is, as mixed as that narrative was Samus is still more interesting than 90% of gaming heroines and the plot is better than 90% of videogame plots (looking at you Third Birthday, FFXIII, FFXII, and MGS4)

Around the Network
Aiddon said:
Rob-Ot said:
Aiddon said:

um....no. I've played the Xenosaga series and they have TERRIBLY told stories that kill the momentum of the narratives with cutscenes that go on and on and on and on. It doesn't help that most of the playable cast is essentially pointless, including the heroine Shion (who is one of the most selfish, bratty, unlikable heroines I have EVER seen). No where near its spiritual predecessor Xenogears that had an interesting cast (Fei and Elly especially) that had complex arcs and a legitimately epic plot. Say what you will about Other M, it at least had the decency to keep its story relatively simple despite having a bad case of telling and not showing and having long scenes near the end of the plot. Sad part is, as mixed as that narrative was Samus is still more interesting than 90% of gaming heroines and the plot is better than 90% of videogame plots (looking at you Third Birthday, FFXIII, FFXII, and MGS4)

I think the story of Xenosaga was quite awesome. Did you played all 3? I also liked how it was told.There was a lot of details and backstory. Though, I cannot give you my opinion about Metroid the other M since I didnt played it.

dunno001 said:
Icyedge said:
dunno001 said:

If a game has a story, great. But, first and foremost to me is gameplay. A game with great gameplay but no story is better than a game with a lot of story and mediocre gameplay. Unfortunately, things are shifting more to the latter on that, at least from my perspective...

I agree, but personally, story is still more important then gameplay. Like you, I dont want a crap gameplay. But if the gameplay is only average, but the story is very good, see Xenosaga as example, its perfectly fine with me. I do understand it isnt the case for everyone though. So what do you think of game with average gameplay but good story? Do you like playing them or not?

I can enjoy them, but very frequently, they get bumped by something that has better gameplay. I've beaten DQ9, for instance- it does have a weak story, but the gameplay (and daily DQVC) keep me playing it even still. My problem with something that's story-heavy, even if the gameplay is great, is replayability. My first time playing Persona 3, the game ate me up wholesale- great story AND great gameplay. But, because of the story playing such a strong role in it, Persona 3 Portable languishes in my PSP.

I agree, its quite harder to replay a story heavy game for me too. Its more like a one time thing. I can always go back for once more after a couple of years but will usually get bore before finishing it. Lately, I did finish Suikoden 5 once more though. Getting all the characters.

Pyro as Bill said:

No, I don't like stories ruining games.

No game has ever needed a story just as no film needs a game (except Tron obviously).

Would Buckaroo have been a better game if the horse had a name and a history? What about the patient in the game of Operation?

I asked a five year old, why does Bowser kidnap the Princess? The response was that if he didn't we wouldn't have a Mario game to play.

Excessive story is a cheap gimmick to try and keep people 'playing' the game instead of using replayability like a real game does.

The truth about videogames, the great ones at least, is that they could have all the story removed, the graphics and music could be reduced to 8 or 16 bit quality, and they would still be the greatest games of all time.

I didnt know I wasnt playing real game all this time. I also didnt know the sun revolve around Pyro as Bill.

Racing games and sports games and stuff like that aren't really games that stories arerequired to be in, in order for them to be good games. Games that aren't in one of the genres that can excel on gameplay but have no story, need a heavy and great story otherwise it will be a shit game imo.