By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you prefer when a video game has a story?

Do you prefer when a video game has a story?

No storyline 7 6.36%

Light storyline 11 10.00%

Heavy storyline 69 62.73%

I dont have a particular preference 23 20.91%

Total:110

well, if we're going by the argument that stories are somehow required or make a game better I have to be blunt: NO. Games did not start with stories and are not exactly meant to tell one. Mario, Pokemon, and Contra for instance have SETTINGS but I wouldn't say they have stories to tell. Entire GENRES don't havce stories such as puzzle games or fighting games. And a lot of the time a game just gets bogged down by a story because it gets in the way of the gameplay so story and gameplay are sort of mortal enemies. For instance, MGS4, Xenosaga, FFXIII, and Alan Wake have TERRIBLE or poorly told plots that get in the way of the gameplay. Heavy Rain might as well NOT have gameplay because it's so focused on telling a story that it sacrifices the game aspect. Same thing with Enslaved and Heavenly Sword.

Now, that's not to say that a game CAN'T tell a story. If you can tell a story that's GOOD, go for it but make sure you never bring up the question of "why didn't you just write a book/movie?". Stuff like Matsuno's entire catalog, Metroid: Other M, Xenogears, Silent Hill, Chrono Cross, Valkyrie Profile, Blazblue, Bioshock, Odin Sphere, Bioware's titles, No More Heroes, the SMT franchise, quite a few of the FF series, and Parasite Eve (excluding Third Birthday -shudder-) have told compelling, interesting narratives with three-dimensional characters. But that doesn't exactly make them BETTER than the non-story games like Vanquish or Tetris, it just makes them equally as good in a different way because variety is a necessity.

But anyway, a story doesn't make a game better, that's just plain untrue. I wish Yahtzee would understand that.

Around the Network

It wholly depends on the game.

To the extremes, if I play something like Final Fantasy VI (my favorite game of all time) it absolutely must have a good story and characters but with something like Tetris (my second favorite game of all time) there's no point in adding a story and adding a story only takes away from it (Tetris Worlds).

Saying all games require a good story is just stupid because not all games require story.  Gears of War would not be any better if it had a fantastic story because that game is all about the action.  The story in Uncharted is completely derivative with a terrible ending (in both games!) but they are both fantastic games.  Mario games have been using the same story for the past 25 years and nobody (that matters) complains about that.  Those games don't rely on strong story because they rely more on other things.

On the other end, a game like Final Fantasty absolutely must have a good story because that's simply what the game is all about.

Aiddon said:

well, if we're going by the argument that stories are somehow required or make a game better I have to be blunt: NO. Games did not start with stories and are not exactly meant to tell one. Mario, Pokemon, and Contra for instance have SETTINGS but I wouldn't say they have stories to tell. Entire GENRES don't havce stories such as puzzle games or fighting games. And a lot of the time a game just gets bogged down by a story because it gets in the way of the gameplay so story and gameplay are sort of mortal enemies. For instance, MGS4, Xenosaga, FFXIII, and Alan Wake have TERRIBLE or poorly told plots that get in the way of the gameplay. Heavy Rain might as well NOT have gameplay because it's so focused on telling a story that it sacrifices the game aspect. Same thing with Enslaved and Heavenly Sword.

Now, that's not to say that a game CAN'T tell a story. If you can tell a story that's GOOD, go for it but make sure you never bring up the question of "why didn't you just write a book/movie?". Stuff like Matsuno's entire catalog, Metroid: Other M, Xenogears, Silent Hill, Chrono Cross, Valkyrie Profile, Blazblue, Bioshock, Odin Sphere, Bioware's titles, No More Heroes, the SMT franchise, quite a few of the FF series, and Parasite Eve (excluding Third Birthday -shudder-) have told compelling, interesting narratives with three-dimensional characters. But that doesn't exactly make them BETTER than the non-story games like Vanquish or Tetris, it just makes them equally as good in a different way because variety is a necessity.

But anyway, a story doesn't make a game better, that's just plain untrue. I wish Yahtzee would understand that.

Its not about one being better then the other. Its about personal preference.

Icyedge said:
Aiddon said:

But even saying that is silly because like I and others have said, not all games need story or a good story.

Saying you only like games with good stories means that you're simply missing out on other games because you're stubborn, not because you don't like those games.

The best way I can put it is it's like you're a wine snob.  If something isn't from a particular vineyard or particular year, you can't drink it even though it could be a pretty good wine.

RolStoppable said:

The importance of story depends on the genre. I don't judge all games by the completely same metrics, because that would be, quite frankly, stupid.

If its those same metric that determine your enjoyability of the game, its not stupid to use them to judge a game. Why wouldnt you respect my point of view if I dont like tetris because theres no story.

Around the Network
Icyedge said:
RolStoppable said:

The importance of story depends on the genre. I don't judge all games by the completely same metrics, because that would be, quite frankly, stupid.

If its those same metric that determine your enjoyability of the game, its not stupid to use them to judge a game. Why wouldnt you respect my point of view if I dont like tetris because theres no story.

Because that's like saying you don't like vanilla ice cream because you can't drive it.

That very well may be your opinion but that doesn't make it any less nonsensical.

twesterm said:
Icyedge said:
Aiddon said:

But even saying that is silly because like I and others have said, not all games need story or a good story.

Saying you only like games with good stories means that you're simply missing out on other games because you're stubborn, not because you don't like those games.

The best way I can put it is it's like you're a wine snob.  If something isn't from a particular vineyard or particular year, you can't drink it even though it could be a pretty good wine.

Saying I like games with story (it doesnt needs to be perfect), doesnt mean im stubborn. lol

twesterm said:
Icyedge said:
RolStoppable said:

Because that's like saying you don't like vanilla ice cream because you can't drive it.

That very well may be your opinion but that doesn't make it any less nonsensical.

No, its like saying you dont like vanilla ice cream because of what it offers, its taste. In this case, I was reviewing Tetris as a video game with no story. Since video game with story exist, making this kind of comparison make sense. In any case, it was an example, I like Tetris even though I prefer playing RPGs.

twesterm said:

It wholly depends on the game.

To the extremes, if I play something like Final Fantasy VI (my favorite game of all time) it absolutely must have a good story and characters but with something like Tetris (my second favorite game of all time) there's no point in adding a story and adding a story only takes away from it (Tetris Worlds).

Saying all games require a good story is just stupid because not all games require story.  Gears of War would not be any better if it had a fantastic story because that game is all about the action.  The story in Uncharted is completely derivative with a terrible ending (in both games!) but they are both fantastic games.  Mario games have been using the same story for the past 25 years and nobody (that matters) complains about that.  Those games don't rely on strong story because they rely more on other things.

On the other end, a game like Final Fantasty absolutely must have a good story because that's simply what the game is all about.

Surely, there is game that dont require a story, or games where a story could be but there isnt. That isnt the point of this thread and poll. The point is to know if you prefer games with no story, light story, heavy story or if you dont have any preference. Sure games like Mario doesnt need a story in order to sell well and have a fanbase, fine for them.

But personally I prefer playing game that has a story. If not, I can simply do other things funnier to me than playing game without story, like working, being here, doing sport, listening music, hanging out ect. If I would force myself to hate games that doesnt have a story, then maybe you could tell me im stubborn, but it isnt the case. I hope you do understand my point now.

Every game has a story, even Pong it's just that it is embedded narrative where you have to think of one yourself really. In terms of do I like a heavily narrated story? Well I guess I do but I don't like it to restrict the rest of the game, I don't like it being too linear, I like to have other things to do at the same time.