By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you prefer when a video game has a story?

Do you prefer when a video game has a story?

No storyline 7 6.36%

Light storyline 11 10.00%

Heavy storyline 69 62.73%

I dont have a particular preference 23 20.91%

Total:110

I decided to do this thread after having a strange argument over personal preference when it comes to story in video-games. (http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=121989&page=8&str=1688447335#7)

Personally, story is very important and an integral part of the video-game experience. Like I said multiple time in the other thread, I respect and can easily understand that story isnt important to all gamers. But, I was quite surprise by some claim made in that thread. I almost felt like I was a sub par gamer for preferring story heavy game.

So what do you guys prefer, story or not? Feel free to comment.

P.S.: I want to know your preference, so even if you play all kinds of game, what do you actually prefer playing.

Around the Network

I started playing games when they didn't even have ending--they just went on and on forever.  When I finally got my hands on games that had something that resembled a story (Super Mario Bros./etc) I REALLY got into games.  When cinematic heavy games like Ninja Gaiden (nes) or Astyanax (nes) came out, I think I had my first orgasm.

I don't seem to care if its good or bad.  I LOVE when a game has a narrative!

Story is important in games. Though the word "story" doesn't have to mean an entirely predetermined one with heavy narration.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

That ressemble my experience and point of view. Although, I care a bit if its good or bad :P.

Demotruk said:

Story is important in games. Though the word "story" doesn't have to mean an entirely predetermined one with heavy narration.

You could select "light storyline" then. Though, for the sake of the poll and to understand each other, games with only an introduction and ending, would be no story.

Around the Network

Presentation in games is very important to me. The game has to look great, have an interesting story and it has to have some decent voice acting before I can really get into it. I do like games without stories, but I rarely ever finish them. The story also doesn't have to be particularly good, it just has to be interesting enough to hold my  attention until I finish the game, which is an experience I share with games like Bayonetta.

God of War was the first game that set those standards and it's one of the many reasons that I've backed away from Nintendo games this generation. 

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

I prefer when a story is completely optional and you can go looking for it if you want, but no cutscenes are in the main progression, like Metroid Prime.

it is a really big MOTIVATION point for me

well.............. yeah......... story is a key element, along with music and gameplay

Yes, but only in certain types of games.