By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PlayStation 3 versus Xbox 360 - End all Arguments - Please Help

Jessman said:
Crzzynab is a wanker.... your making it like a religion "non beleivers" dude... do you go to the playstation store every sunday and pray?
rant over.

Post edited by stof 

Man, I would've left it at "you put Liar in a list of good games", but what you posted is taking it too far.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Around the Network

This is your warning Jessman. Bigotry doesn't fly around here. If I see that again you're out of here.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

stof said:
This is your warning Jessman. Bigotry doesn't fly around here. If I see that again you're out of here.

darn you, you were like 30 seconds faster then me lol. He is lucky you got to him first. I would have banned him ike i did W29 for saying something similar.

@topic. From reading everything Mike has said. He is actually correct about 95% of what he has said about the tech specs/working with it. The other 5% is basically opinion.

Anything that devs said about each console should be taken into account because they are the ones who are working with the consoles.

Developers:

EA has a hard time with the PS3.

Ubisoft has minor issues with the PS3 and 360 still.

Activition has no issues with either.

Epic Games has no issues with either console.

Bungie has no issues with the 360

Square Enix has no issues with either the 360 or PS3.

Polyphony Digital had issues making GT5 engine.

Insomiac has no issues with the PS3.

Incognito has no issues with the PS3.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Uberian said:
Is MikeB making a living by Defending Playstation3?

No. But I love technology, when I first heard about the Cell I knew this could and should become something special (potential for hefty innovative assynchronous multiprocessing like the original Amiga did in the 80s, a step back towards efficiency and innovation like we saw in the 80s). I hope to see the Cell in many other kinds of products, including consumer upgrade boards for PCs.

My technology background and interest in the Cell have made me quite a PS3 expert, researching every little fact and as somebody who never owned a PS2 and owned various Nintendo consoles I have to give Sony credit where credit it is due, the PS3 rocks from a technological and quality perspective! Kudos to Sony for that, shame on especially many XBox 360 trolls who claimed the machine has fundamental flaws (yes I have looked at this platform as well mostly due to all this misinformation spread by fans, but such fans should investigate their own platform better for flaws) other than immature game engines and software!

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB wrote:

I hope to see the Cell in many other kinds of products, including consumer upgrade boards for PCs.

Don't get me wrong I am perfectly happy that every PS3 comes with identical high specifications as this offers many benefits for software development. The most popular home computer was the c64, early games for example are a far cry compared to later c64 games truly tapping into the machines limited capabilities:

c64 -Forbidden Forest (1983)
link

VS.

c64 - Creatures 2 (1992)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=B6hFXpZ3QBU
http://youtube.com/watch?v=0BcIjsp94uM

On the PC with ever changing specs and a (increasingly) resource draining desktop OS, you will never come close to the hardware's true potential.

On the PS3 there's so much headroom the platform can easily last for many years to come rivalling PC solutions. As the technological transition from PS2 to PS3 doesn't have to be evolutionary technically Sony was able to leapfrog current PC technology from many regards, of course being so different this brings some startup problems to the table, gaming engines suddenly need to be radically redesigned to take full advantage. Thus legacy game engines are being moved to the SPEs step by step, each step bringing huge performance gains.

I hope to see a Macintosh-like G5 platform someday with a Cell processor included with the potential of upgrading with as more Cell upgrade board (for example researchers are using multiple PS3s connected to receive a linear increase of performance gains. However I am not that much of a fan of MacOS X, BeOS (RIP, an OS inspired by AmigaOS) could have been a better fit as it's build from ground up to take advantage of mutliple CPUs: "Pervasive multi-threading architecture (operating system is divided into small threads which profit optimally from several CPUs)", early BeBox prototypes had up to 4 CPUs to work with.

Sadly on PowerPC Apple wasn't very friendly towards alternative OS providers taking Be Inc too much resources to continuosly re-engineer drivers and such, so they moved to x86 instead where they got killed by Micro$oft:

Interesting points regarding Be Inc's problems with Microsoft:

Be Inc is suing Microsoft for the destruction of its business. A damages figure isn't enumerated, but Be points out that at one stage the company was valued at over $1 billion.

But BeOS as a desktop system effectively ceased to compete for OEM attention in the New Year 2000.

Microsoft sent two U.S. managers to Japan who expressed their 'anger' with Hitachi over its arrangement with Be, and 'reminded' Hitachi of the terms of its Windows license," according to the claim.

Compaq and Gateway declined to market dual-boot 'Creativity PC' systems Be had co-developed with Intel, citing the Windows license. Even when Be offered the OEMs the operating system for free.

Be alleges that Microsoft scuppered a 1998 deal with with Compaq to produce an internet appliance after Compaq boss Eckhard Pfeiffer received a personal visit from Gates as part of a Microsoft "Digital Appliances Review.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/02/20/be_inc_sues_microsoft/

M$ settled with bankrupt Be Inc for a mere 20 million USD, with Microsoft admitting no wrongdoing.

Regarding Amiga, Gateway former owner of Amiga wanted to reintroduce a new Amiga system based on QNX Neutrino:

Amiga Inc's CTO stated in an interview that Gateway was scared because of Microsoft making threats. It was about Gateway losing good deals on Windows if they would go up against Microsoft. Long after this allegation Gateway got involved in the anti-trust suit against Microsoft. M$ reached a settlement paying $150 million over a 4 years period admitting no wrongdoing.

In March 2002, a Gateway marketing executive (Anthony Fama) testified before Judge Kollar-Kotelly in State of New York et al. v. Microsoft, Case No. 98-1233 (CKK), about how Microsoft used its MDA program in order to force OEMs to market Microsoft’s operating system exclusively: “Given the substantial nature of these discounts, participation in the MDA, as a practical matter, is not optional. In other words, not receiving :these discounts would put Gateway at a substantial competitive disadvantage, and Gateway has communicated that self-evident proposition to Microsoft.

http://boycottnovell.com/2007/09/01/antitrust-failure/

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network
Uberian said:
Is MikeB making a living by Defending Playstation3?

No, he's touching old men for a living.

He's defending Sony, cause MS screwed his family (really sad story, about a boy wishing for cellulite, his amiga, and a broken floppy).

After hearing of the latest movie of Steven Spielberg (a passionate Bluray supporter) he expands his crusade.

He's now defending be os, which stars in Bee-Movie.

One thing I have yet to see debunked is the 360 having more memory. Some try to deny it, or pretend that EDRAM does not make up for its small size, even though its speed is the reason further Cell systems are using EDRAM for its main memory, despite the smaller size.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs