By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Last Story Press Conference Thread (It Starts At 12:00 AM)

Rob-Ot said:
psrock said:
Rob-Ot said:
psrock said:
Rob-Ot said:
psrock said:

Why wouldn't people be waiting for the next FF when you guys are craving JRPG so much,  some of you have fallen in love over a game none of you have played, know the story or read one review about.

I actually feel bad for the game because people are expecting a masterpiece out of an new IP. 

Because the latest FF games have ranged from bad to mediocre.

You just described JRPG's period. It's an old and boring genre that people are craving a new direction, And I still haven't seen the game that's going to change people's mind.

Seeing TLS, the first game that came to mind http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3UC0hIJSxw&feature=related

This is why The Last Story is special. The battle system is the most innovative in JRPG gaming since Final Fantasy IV on the SNES.

What's so innovative about it. And don't almost every JRPG have their special battle system?

It made the Active Time Battle system, a core entity in almost every Final Fantasy game from then onwards. Then Final Fantasy V made the job system excellent (III had it, but III was a mediocre game even for its time).

I asked you about the Last Story, what's so innovative about the battle system you just saw yesterday.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network
Rob-Ot said:
Chibi.V.29 said:
Rob-Ot said:
Chibi.V.29 said:
Rob-Ot said:
Jumpin said:
psrock said:
Why wouldn't people be waiting for the next FF when you guys are craving JRPG so much,  some of you have fallen in love over a game none of you have played, know the story or read one review about.

I actually feel bad for the game because people are expecting a masterpiece out of an new IP. 

There is a 90 minute live demonstration of the game which shows off its battle system, walking around towns, dialogue, interaction with other people in the town. As well as a lot of the different sorts of things that can be done in battle (the battle system looks WAY cooler than anything yet seen in an RPG). it is also being made by the guy who created Final Fantasy, and worked on FF1-10, as well as Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, and many other critically acclaimed titles. That is why there is all this hype for it now.

Don't give Sakaguchi credit for Xenogears. Thats Tetsuya Takahashi's masterpiece and the best game of all time. 

...have you actually played it yet?

10 times and if your going to complain about Disc 2. Final Fantasy VIII is fully responsible for that as the game was over budget and Square-Enix took budget out of Xenogears development and gave it to the FFVIII team.

Ah before you go on another rant mission i thought you said xenoblades ^^ As for the budget part im glad they did :3

Rant mission haha. No I haven't played xenoblade, hopefully Nintendo will localize it, then I will be able to take the piss out of Final Fantasy in Xenoblade threads too haha. (only joking)

Xenogears is such a shame too, if the game was in it's completed package, it would have been miles better than FF8 . I have played Xenoblade btw, better than FF13 imo, shit has some scale for a Wii game, downside is characters are butt ugly but you are fighting for the most part anyways so you won't pay attention to it.

I really wish they can remake Xenogears in it's complete form without changing the old direction, I really do, it's really about time.

Rob-Ot said:
psrock said:
Rob-Ot said:
psrock said:

You just described JRPG's period. It's an old and boring genre that people are craving a new direction, And I still haven't seen the game that's going to change people's mind.

Seeing TLS, the first game that came to mind http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3UC0hIJSxw&feature=related

This is why The Last Story is special. The battle system is the most innovative in JRPG gaming since Final Fantasy IV on the SNES. It can be a game changing JRPG. God Eater is nothing like it, are you seeing the same Last Story videos?

Woah woah woah here. The battle system is in no way the most innovative in 20 years. Not even close. Never.

You guys are majorly overhyping The Last Story.

psrock said:
Rob-Ot said:
psrock said:
Rob-Ot said:
psrock said:
Rob-Ot said:
psrock said:

This is why The Last Story is special. The battle system is the most innovative in JRPG gaming since Final Fantasy IV on the SNES.

What's so innovative about it. And don't almost every JRPG have their special battle system?

It made the Active Time Battle system, a core entity in almost every Final Fantasy game from then onwards. Then Final Fantasy V made the job system excellent (III had it, but III was a mediocre game even for its time).

I asked you about the Last Story, what's so innovative about the battle system you just saw yesterday.

Huge variety in ways to defeat and enemy. Combined action RPG elements with strategy elements, general feel of it with breakable terrain is not common at all in the genre, especially on such a scale. The online modes the game has show how good the gameplay is matched to such events, that only tells you of the potential the combat system has within the main game itself. Finally when you see it in action it feels fresh, something JRPG combat systems haven't felt for a long time. Its taken inspiration from western RPG's, Japanese RPG's, third person shooters to give us what is hopefully the new de facto JRPG battle system.

Rob-Ot said:

Lightning <3 . One of the redeeming features of FF13, she deserved a much much better game. Hopefully she does similar things in Dissidia Duoedecim.

like smacking Tidus in the head or punching his stomach? i'd like that, i cant stand Tidus

Around the Network
psrock said:
Rob-Ot said:
psrock said:
Rob-Ot said:
psrock said:
Rob-Ot said:
psrock said:

The Magic Circle thing is cool as shit, the ability to change your way of playing by toggling auto attack, interacting with surrounding objects in a way that no other JRPG has done before (Just that flip thing along changes everything,) an entirely active 6 player team each with his or her unique roles on the battle field, and all that while still being able to issue commands to the location you want which went even further than what ME2 had. It's balling yo!

psrock said:
Wyrdness said:
psrock said:

Square Enix makes Dagron Quest, so why would they care?

No they don't Yuji Horii owns the full rights to it himself SE only have a contract with him to publish his games, DQ games are developed by his Armor studio who collaborate with other devs like L5 which is why L5 have been a consistent figure in DQ's development. Horii at any moment could decide he won't renew his contract which is why FF declining should be taken more seriously by them.

Who takes in the money when Dragon Quest does well?

He takes the majority he owns the rights, fact is if he left and DQ overtook FF they won't be taking a penny and be left with a very strong rival franchise, you asked why they should care well that's why DQ under SE is not set in stone and given SE's performance this gen DQX is on it's inevitable run to being the top console JRPG of the gen.

dahuman said:
Rob-Ot said:
Chibi.V.29 said:
Rob-Ot said:
Chibi.V.29 said:
Rob-Ot said:
Jumpin said:
psrock said:

There is a 90 minute live demonstration of the game which shows off its battle system, walking around towns, dialogue, interaction with other people in the town. As well as a lot of the different sorts of things that can be done in battle (the battle system looks WAY cooler than anything yet seen in an RPG). it is also being made by the guy who created Final Fantasy, and worked on FF1-10, as well as Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, and many other critically acclaimed titles. That is why there is all this hype for it now.

Don't give Sakaguchi credit for Xenogears. Thats Tetsuya Takahashi's masterpiece and the best game of all time. 

...have you actually played it yet?

10 times and if your going to complain about Disc 2. Final Fantasy VIII is fully responsible for that as the game was over budget and Square-Enix took budget out of Xenogears development and gave it to the FFVIII team.

Ah before you go on another rant mission i thought you said xenoblades ^^ As for the budget part im glad they did :3

Rant mission haha. No I haven't played xenoblade, hopefully Nintendo will localize it, then I will be able to take the piss out of Final Fantasy in Xenoblade threads too haha. (only joking)

Xenogears is such a shame too, if the game was in it's completed package, it would have been miles better than FF8 . I have played Xenoblade btw, better than FF13 imo, shit has some scale for a Wii game, downside is characters are butt ugly but you are fighting for the most part anyways so you won't pay attention to it.

I really wish they can remake Xenogears in it's complete form without changing the old direction, I really do, it's really about time.

I feel it is miles better than FF8 in its current form haha. I agree though Xenogears was so excellent, but could have been so much more. So much of the plot could have been more thoroughly explored and covered. Sometimes I think it would have been better to do a Xenogears Episode 1,2 and 3 as the ambition and scale of Xenogears was massive for just a single game.

A remake of Xenogears, actually stop that, its just making me hope for something that can never ever happen. Nice to hear you enjoyed Xenoblade.

@Boutros

Then what else is? To me this is the most fresh JRPG combat system I've seen since FFIV. Do you have any contenders?

Boutros said:
Rob-Ot said:
psrock said:
Rob-Ot said:
psrock said:

This is why The Last Story is special. The battle system is the most innovative in JRPG gaming since Final Fantasy IV on the SNES. It can be a game changing JRPG. God Eater is nothing like it, are you seeing the same Last Story videos?

Woah woah woah here. The battle system is in no way the most innovative in 20 years. Not even close. Never.

You guys are majorly overhyping The Last Story.

keep in mind that the person did say JRPG, which is kinda true tbh, now, if you mix in other genre, Bayonetta is the hotest combat I've seen in the past 20 years.

rutea7 said:
Rob-Ot said:

Lightning <3 . One of the redeeming features of FF13, she deserved a much much better game. Hopefully she does similar things in Dissidia Duoedecim.

like smacking Tidus in the head or punching his stomach? i'd like that, i cant stand Tidus

Agreed, add in Vaan for good measure.. Come on Lightning you can do it!