By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Last Story Press Conference Thread (It Starts At 12:00 AM)

LordTheNightKnight said:
Chibi.V.29 said:

arguing with you is pointless >_> i hates smg i did since the day it came out i hate its art style and its effect just look cheap to me. stop quoting me as fior the 4th time its MY OPINION! Welcome to the internet ^^ Only place left that you realy cna have whatever opinion you want.

Those are acceptable opinions. It was arguing about scale that was faulty, since that is a quantative aspect of the graphics.

I found galaxy's scale to be huge yes but kind alike just cause. it was so empty. The scale was basicaly just the different parts of the levels shown infront of you rather than pieced together.

Yeah i know my spelling sucks but im dysgraphic so live with it :3    

---------------------------------------------------Bets--------------------------------------------------

Conegamer - I say that the PS3 will beat the DS next week in Japan  (for hardware sales) Forfeit is control over others avatar for 1 week.

Around the Network
Rob-Ot said:
Jumpin said:
Rob-Ot said:
Jumpin said:
Chibi.V.29 said:
Jumpin said:

This is what Final Fantasy 13 would have been, had Sakaguchi not left Square.

His track record since leaving square hasnt been great so i beg to differ ^^

This is his first major project since leaving Square.

It also looks way better than FF13 turned out to be. FF13 severely damaged the Final Fantasy brand, but with the way Last Story has turned out, it looks like a worthy successor; I would say a good spiritual successor to the series up until FF10, the last FF game he worked on.

The Last Story looks nothing like FF10. If anything FF13 is the spiritual successor to that mediocre game.

Kind of arrogant calling it mediocre when FF10 is one of the most critically and commercially successful RPGs of all time. It was the last Final Fantasy game that Sakaguchi worked on; that's why I draw the mark there.

Arrogant? Even FFXIII is critically successful and extremely successful commercially. FF12 is critically successful too, that doesn't stop me from calling them out. I even call out Call Of Duty.

FFX made many mistakes that were repeated in FFXIII (Linearity, 2 dimensional characters, terrible dialogue and the list goes on). Sakaguchi's involvement in FFX was actually quite limited. FFX's positive reception encouraged Toriyama and Kitase to make FFXIII in the form it was released in, thinking they could get away with mediocrity for a second time. Thankfully this time fans realized how mediocre the game really was. So yes I hold FFX fully responsible for how FFXIII turned out because all the mistakes FFX made were just made again in FFXIII on a bigger level.

FF12 and FF13 haven't been topping any charts like FF10 has; for the most part, the reception of FF13 has been very negative for players, but you'll still find many who consider FF10 the best in the series; on Gamefaqs recent best game of the decade poll, FF12 was done in the second round, but FF10 ended up in the semi-finals, and only lost by 0.1% (something like 49,500 to 49,400 votes) to the game that won the tournament. That sort of fanbase does not exist for FF12, and won't for FF13 either. Not to mention, FF10 topped Famitsu's top games of all time list.

Most of those "mistakes" you claim FF10 makes are not really accurate. As linear as Final Fantasy 13? Not even close, FF10 is about on par with FF9 in terms of linearity. Bad dialogue? It has one of the best scripts in the series; in fact, I would argue that only FF8 and FF9 surpass it to any degree. Two dimensional characters? Sorry, but that argument really only works with Kimari, FF10 has several of the best characters in the FF series. 

You have a bias against FF10, that much is very obvious. Particularly if you think the reception of the game was the same as FF13; FF10 wasn't topping or nearly topping most disappointing games of the year lists throughout the world.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Rob-Ot said:
Chibi.V.29 said:
Rob-Ot said:
Chibi.V.29 said:
Rob-Ot said:
Chibi.V.29 said:
jarrod said:
Chibi.V.29 said:
Jumpin said:

I'd counter that Square's track record since he left has been far worse. :P

Also, Galaxy 1/2 destroy GOW2.  The gorgeous lighting and pixel effects, the texture work, perfect modeling, rock solid 60 fps... GOW2 has great art and epic scale, but technically it doesn't even come close.

There are plenty of Wii games I'd say rank beyond PS2's best technically (Galaxy 1-2, Prime 3, MH3, Xenoblade, and now TLS).  None of those games could be done on PS2 without some major concessions.  Hell, even some GC games (Star Fox Adventures) couldn't be done on PS2 as is.  Hell, it almost choked on RE4.

For the 3rd time now its my opinion >_> i thought galaxy looked terrible compared to alot of ps2 games once again that is my opinion so can you anyone who disagrees please keep it to themselves XD

You can't have an opinion with graphics. Technical things like that aren't a matter of opinion. Art Style? Fair enough. But graphics itself is not an opinion. Super Mario Galaxy has better graphics than almost all PS2 games, fact.

I can argue about graphics and i am. yh galaxy might have some slightly better textures but the scale of god of war 2 (which i regard as graphics) crushes galaxy to an inch of its life. fact.

No the scale of Super Mario Galaxy is just as massive as God Of War if you have played the space battleship galaxy level. fact.

arguing with you is pointless >_> i hates smg i did since the day it came out i hate its art style and its effect just look cheap to me. stop quoting me as fior the 4th time its MY OPINION! Welcome to the internet ^^ Only place left that you realy cna have whatever opinion you want.

You are mixing up art style with graphics. I could say Final Fantasy 9 has better graphics than every PS2 and PS3 game if I pretended to believe graphics equal art style (Because I feel FF9 does have a better art style than any PS2 or PS3 games)

The discussion was on a technical level, on a technical level Super Mario Galaxy blows most PS2 game sout of the water, if not all of them. Facts on a technical level aren't a matter of opinion.

I told you not to quote me again >_> lets end this with the wii has bad graphics compared to both the other 2 7th gen consoles. the end. bye.

---------------------------------------------------Bets--------------------------------------------------

Conegamer - I say that the PS3 will beat the DS next week in Japan  (for hardware sales) Forfeit is control over others avatar for 1 week.

Chibi.V.29 said:
Jumpin said:
Chibi.V.29 said:
Jumpin said:

It also looks way better than FF13 turned out to be. FF13 severely damaged the Final Fantasy brand, but with the way Last Story has turned out, it looks like a worthy successor; I would say a good spiritual successor to the series up until FF10, the last FF game he worked on.

Can i point out that no one has played the last story yet ^^ can people please wait until the game comes out before judging it :P

True, but I just watched a bunch of Japanese guys play it for over an hour.

OMG people, plz starting cutting those massive quote blocks! :x

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
Chibi.V.29 said:
Jumpin said:
Chibi.V.29 said:
Jumpin said:

Can i point out that no one has played the last story yet ^^ can people please wait until the game comes out before judging it :P

alot of people didnt like ff13 and you could watch hours of that before it came out ^^

Jumpin said:
Rob-Ot said:
Jumpin said:
Rob-Ot said:
Jumpin said:
Chibi.V.29 said:
Jumpin said:

The Last Story looks nothing like FF10. If anything FF13 is the spiritual successor to that mediocre game.

Kind of arrogant calling it mediocre when FF10 is one of the most critically and commercially successful RPGs of all time. It was the last Final Fantasy game that Sakaguchi worked on; that's why I draw the mark there.

Arrogant? Even FFXIII is critically successful and extremely successful commercially. FF12 is critically successful too, that doesn't stop me from calling them out. I even call out Call Of Duty.

FFX made many mistakes that were repeated in FFXIII (Linearity, 2 dimensional characters, terrible dialogue and the list goes on). Sakaguchi's involvement in FFX was actually quite limited. FFX's positive reception encouraged Toriyama and Kitase to make FFXIII in the form it was released in, thinking they could get away with mediocrity for a second time. Thankfully this time fans realized how mediocre the game really was. So yes I hold FFX fully responsible for how FFXIII turned out because all the mistakes FFX made were just made again in FFXIII on a bigger level.

FF12 and FF13 haven't been topping any charts like FF10 has; for the most part, the reception of FF13 has been very negative for players, but you'll still find many who consider FF10 the best in the series; on Gamefaqs recent best game of the decade poll, FF12 was done in the second round, but FF10 ended up in the semi-finals, and only lost by 0.1% (something like 49,500 to 49,400 votes) to the game that won the tournament. That sort of fanbase does not exist for FF12, and won't for FF13 either. Not to mention, FF10 topped Famitsu's top games of all time list.

Most of those "mistakes" you claim FF10 makes are not really accurate. As linear as Final Fantasy 13? Not even close, FF10 is about on par with FF9 in terms of linearity. Bad dialogue? It has one of the best scripts in the series; in fact, I would argue that only FF8 and FF9 surpass it to any degree. Two dimensional characters? Sorry, but that argument really only works with Kimari, FF10 has several of the best characters in the FF series. 

You have a bias against FF10, that much is very obvious. Particularly if you think the reception of the game was the same as FF13; FF10 wasn't topping or nearly topping most disappointing games of the year lists throughout the world.

FF10 is just as linear as FF13, with calm lands being a poor man's Gran Pulse. Thankfully X had towns and minigames in between, and backtracking. However the plot is just as linear in design. Where did I say FF13 and FF10 had the same reception, if you actually read my post you'll see I said FF10's good reception made Kitase and Toriyama believe they could put out similar mediocrity again. I definitely don't trust Famitsu top games lists", the last one had DQIX 1st and FF13 second. Looking at sales XIII has done over 6 million, thats extremely successful I never realized it reversed the decline of the series.

Wait you think FF10 has some of the best dialogue in all Final Fantasy games? No point continuing this discussion if you have such opinions. FF10's dialogue would even make the crappy script for the Star Wars prequels cringe and go purple.

Chibi.V.29 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Chibi.V.29 said:

Those are acceptable opinions. It was arguing about scale that was faulty, since that is a quantative aspect of the graphics.

I found galaxy's scale to be huge yes but kind alike just cause. it was so empty. The scale was basicaly just the different parts of the levels shown infront of you rather than pieced together.

Okay, that is a better point. The question would be how much was in each level at any given point, and would one game involve more streaming than the other, which would change how much could fit in the memory at any point.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Rob-Ot said:
psrock said:
Rob-Ot said:
psrock said:
Rob-Ot said:
psrock said:
Pavolink said:
psrock said:

I

Yeah right. You would rather have The Last Story than FF15, sure i believe you.

I

FF13 is enjoyable, but if FF15 is being made by the incompetend FF12 people that ruined Matsuno's work then I'd rather not see a FF15. 

Dragon Quest IX was ok, nothing compared to Dragon Quest V, VI and VII that combined a great story with addictive gameplay that lasted for hundreds of hours.

That's the thing, Plenty of people loved FF12, Just because you don't like it it doesnt mean its bad   at all. That's the beauty of SE, each of these games are just so different and have their own followers, that's refreshing to me. We know FF15 is going to be different, and I can't wait to see what they do next.

I never said everyone should think FF12 is bad, I just told you why I might not be interested in FF15. I know every FF game has its group of lovers, even FF13 managed to get the readers choice JRPG of the year award on this websites main awards bit. I acknowledge people may like the series and its games, but I would take The Last Story over Final Fantasy XV any day for the reasons I gave you and other people feel this way too.

Its good some of you are looking forward to FFXV, continue to forgive Square for making mediocre games, maybe you will build up enough good karma to get the first good Final Fantasy since FF9.

Why wouldn't people be waiting for the next FF when you guys are craving JRPG so much,  some of you have fallen in love over a game none of you have played, know the story or read one review about.

I actually feel bad for the game because people are expecting a masterpiece out of an new IP. 

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Chibi.V.29 said:

alot of people didnt like ff13 and you could watch hours of that before it came out ^^

I didn't actually ever see any videos of people actually playing the game before I played it myself. Although I will admit that I was very impressed with what I saw of FF13, but it is unfortunate that a lot of what was shown did not even end up in the game. Almost all that was shown were cutscenes, but the last story actually showed Sakaguchi playing about an hours worth of the game, and showing much of what the gameplay was about.... Then there was a battle royale between Sakaguchi, Uematsu, Matsumoto, and Fujisaka; and it looked like a lot of fun (surprisingly Uematsu stomped everyone else). I have never actually seen any sort of demonstration for any game on that level before.