By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Batch of faulty PS3's

Yeah, and all those old cartridge systems had occasional problems.  I have plenty of fond memories of blowing into Atari cartridges just as much as NES cartridges.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

The only problem I've ever had with any of my consoles have been with the analogue sticks. Remember the countless controller resents when the 64 stick was missaligned? My Xbox does it too.

"Hey, why am I slowly aiming to the left? OH... I'm going to need the toothbrush again."  I realize it's more a case of dirt than faulty equipment, but it's all I've got.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Narfer said:
shams said:

At least its extremely isolated, and isn't killing the system. Be nice if Sony just fixed them though.

ha, be nice if sony just had high quality products like nintendo has had over the years. seriously, with how jacked up and in a way poorly done the ps3 is, and with its predessosor being one of the biggest replaced systems, due to being faulty, ever, your lucky it doesnt explode when it heats up. you can cook eggs on those things. kind of like the amazing ps2 mini (or whatever codename they gave it) yea, that was a great investment. just a pathetic way to make a few bucks. try playing gta for an hour or 2 on those, BOOM! yea, when nintendo made the DS lite is was because they had a HANDHELD that was big and ugly. and its slightly better thant he reg. DS, but not actually different (ie, different harddrive or whatever microsoft keeps fuck'n around with there 20 versions of the 360).

You are out of control.  One batch of bad consoles and all the sudden you say the PS3 is poorly done?  Are you serious?  Maybe if Nintendo tried to incorporate some modern technology in their system they'd encounter some problems as well.  Most people agree (that is, people that write articles for a living) that the PS3 is a superior machine as far as the build goes.  It fits the power brick inside, it fits the wireless inside, it does NOT overheat (ok, unless you enclose it in a small glass case...I mean...duh), and it is quiet despite all the new technology in it.  Meanwhile, 360s have things hanging outside the console and are very loud.

NES and SNES had tons of problems with having to blow on the cartridges and such.  Yeah, eventually they worked (most of the time), but it might take you 30 minutes.  Who has that kind of time?   Anyway, since then Nintendo hasn't exactly been on the bleeding edge of technology (N64's biggest fault not using discs and so on).

Now, I will say that those consoles should be replaced, even though they still work they just make a whining noise.  That is not near the problem M$ had with bricked consoles and having to replace them (which then counted for more sales apparently).

Whining noise does not equal overheating, broken, or anything particularly more than annoying.  Kind of like the 360's DVD drive is all the time.  Anyway, go play your Wii and stop making up crap. 

Narfer said:
NorthStar said:
Yea Nintendo never made anything jacked up lol or maybe your to young to remember having to blow in every game you owned to get that shit to work.Anyway the PS3 really doesn't get that hot or at least mine doesn't.I realy can't Understand why EB will not take the system back exspecially the day after you got it.I really haven't heard any other complaints of noise or overheating...unless you are not giving it enough air to "breathe" Ist of all you do have it on a stand right not on carpet and the other cause could be a confined or "closed space" like a cabnet or drawer.Your PS3 should get warm only at the bottom right really (laying horizontaly) and really my fan is so quiet you can't hear it at all.Lastly is just a question is it always 5 minutes after you turn it on or after the first time it starts making the noise it just makes the noise from then on it just keeps making the noise? If it takes 5 minutes every time then the likelyhood is you just are not giving it enough air supply and need to put it out in the "open"

yes, but it did always work. and how many people who had NES back then still have theres today and have it work just as well? everyone most likly. i dont know anyone whos SNES or NES break, they still work, you just might have to blow in them or even bang em up a little, but once you get them they work fine and dont stop.

I used an SNES that worked 20% of the time when you try for 30 minutes.  Wasn't mine, but I only tried a few times before I gave up.  They aren't perfect by any means.  Also, trying to add a game genie was a whole other problem...

Come on, you guys. Most consoles throughout history have had, to varying degrees, reliability, design or hardware issues to contend with, and this is not limited to consoles (iPod Nano, anyone?). All three console manufacturers are guilty in this regard. Such is the nature of the hardware industry.

What these companies do about handlig these issues is what's important, IMHO, and Sony should repair the defective batch, pure and simple. Whether they do it or not is another issue.

Around the Network

Actually the fans on the PS3 adjust in speed. So if he is putting it in a small area where it wont breathe well. They do get LOUD. That way they dont COOK. (Refrence Wii on standby)

Good ventelation = low air flow, low fan speeds, quiet.

HORRIBLE ventelation = high air flow, high fan speeds, loud.

(air flow through the PS3, not the air around the PS3, as good ventelation means good airflow around the unit, and bad ventelation is no air-flow around the unit)

The unit is quite a bit quieter in vertical than horizontal as well.

“The system itself remains extremely quiet until about five minutes of being on, at which point it becomes very hot and the noise occurs.”

Ok, so it is quiet while the heat-sinks and heat pipes are eating the heat, and the fans are running a minimal speeds. And then it becomes very hot, and the noise occurs. That would be the fans inside the PS3 spinning up to increase the air-flow so it does not fry. You should look into putting it in a less air confined area and it will not have the noise problems. My dad has his PS3 in a cabinet, and has the same problem as you. My brother and I both can not hear our PS3 from 5 feet away unless everything in the room is turned off. However my brothers unit did get quite loud when we put it in his TV cabinet. However now that it is sitting on a table bought for it, BESIDE the cabinet, it has remained silent. Like mine. It is designed into the PS3 to increase fan-speeds to cool it if it starts to get hot. If you are haveing such heat problems, I would highly reccomend you to move it, or else your likely gonna go through 4-5 of them, because you are cooking them.

EDIT: You probibally have had faulty Wii units too havent you?
Edit2: I know the guy is not a forum member, but, this guy is a idiot saying that. He is explaining a overheating issue. Most likely involving where it is.

EDIT3: I just spent the last 30 minutes reading the Sony Forums about that problem. It seems to be a faulty chip. (processor or graphics chip)  If anyone here is experienced with microprocessors, they can get a high pitched scream to them sometimes. That batch, obviously had a bad chip in them. (I would put my money on CELL or RSX) Either way, it is 99% impossible to detect those problems in QA. I got a faulty GeForce5... and I almost cooked my entire computer because of the extreme heat it dumped into my case. And yes, it screamed too. So it was a faulty batch of chips.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Kwaad said:

Actually the fans on the PS3 adjust in speed. So if he is putting it in a small area where it wont breathe well. They do get LOUD. That way they dont COOK. (Refrence Wii on standby)

(air flow through the PS3, not the air around the PS3, as good ventelation means good airflow around the unit, and bad ventelation is no air-flow around the unit)

The system itself remains extremely quiet until about five minutes of being on, at which point it becomes very hot and the noise occurs.

Ok, so it is quiet while the heat-sinks and heat pipes are eating the heat, and the fans are running a minimal speeds. And then it becomes very hot, and the noise occurs. That would be the fans inside the PS3 spinning up to increase the air-flow so it does not fry. You should look into putting it in a less air confined area and it will not have the noise problems. My dad has his PS3 in a cabinet, and has the same problem as you. My brother and I both can not hear our PS3 from 5 feet away unless everything in the room is turned off. However my brothers unit did get quite loud when we put it in his TV cabinet. However now that it is sitting on a table bought for it, BESIDE the cabinet, it has remained silent. Like mine. It is designed into the PS3 to increase fan-speeds to cool it if it starts to get hot. If you are haveing such heat problems, I would highly reccomend you to move it, or else your likely gonna go through 4-5 of them, because you are cooking them.

My Wii is in cabinet, very quiet and doesn't overheat. Don't you think that Sony should learn something from Nintendo? I have had all Nintendos home consoles and there's never been any faults with them. Yes, the cartriges gathered dust if you did not keep them in the box like you should have.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

The Wii actually gets warmer when it's turned off if you use the WiiConnect24 feature, since it turns off the fan completely, but still consumes some power to stay connected. Of course the Wii stays quiet, but it was designed for a different purpose than the 360 or PS3. It's easy to cool a system that uses only 10% of the wattage that the others use.

Anyway, if there's a faulty batch, the right thing for Sony to do is issue a recall for the corresponding serial number range.

HOLY MANGLED HTML TABLES, BATMAN!  Seriously, what's going on with this thread? 

bdbdbd said:
Kwaad said:

The system itself remains extremely quiet until about five minutes of being on, at which point it becomes very hot and the noise occurs.

My Wii is in cabinet, very quiet and doesn't overheat. Don't you think that Sony should learn something from Nintendo? I have had all Nintendos home consoles and there's never been any faults with them. Yes, the cartriges gathered dust if you did not keep them in the box like you should have.

Nintendo shouldn't have heat at all compared to what is in the console. 

Dude i have a PS3 and a Mini PS2 (silver)

no problems whatsoever... the PS3 is beautifully quiet no matter if im playing 20 min or 5 hours...

Same for my PS2 and namely with GTA i played that game to death on my little PS2 and never ever ever had any hint 
that the Hardware was even near failing... this is why im becoming a Happy Sony customer    btw their HD screen are SICK.