By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony buys back Cell processing plant from Toshiba; makes a killing

Ok serious question.

What does Sony gain or have advantage of now by buying back the Cell Processing Plant?

I seriously don't know these kind of things.

Around the Network

Hehe,that's a nice move right there Sony,and I too think the Cell should be used in the PS4.

Toshiba probably thought they'd make it out like a bandit selling PS3 components to Sony?

Sony sold it for 90 billion yen and re-bought it for 50 billion yen and so it appears it made some profit, but that's all the positive I see here (if it is indeed a positive, since I know nothing about depreciation of value of processing plants).

When a company that bought a factory sells it at a loss, it means to me that either it badly needed the money and/or what it was manufacturing (the Cell) didn't turn out well for that company. While it is not necessarily a sign of weakness for the Cell, it certainly isn't a sign of strength.

Sony's re-buying the factory could be a sign of financial strength, but could also have been part of the original selling agreement (e.g. there could have been a stipulation that if Toshiba gets stuck with the factory Sony will have to re-buy, albeit at a price after depreciation).

As to Cell speculations - why does almost everybody here read it as obvious future plans for the Cell when Sony themeselves say "that it may repurpose the facility to produce HD image sensors for cameras and smartphones" ?

I could very well be wrong and this could be super positive news for Sony and the Cell, I just don't read it that way and wouldn't no matter what company or processor such news would have been about.

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

I find it funny that the article clearly states the factory will probubly be repurposed to make camera and smart phone technology. Yet all the fans here are talking about it showing Sony's support for the cell. Fact is Sony probubly needed another factory to keep up with cell phone and camera demand so they bought the factory back. Doesn't mean anything or probubly have anything to do with the cell.

Infact Toshiba selling its cell factory is a major blow to the cell not something to be cheering and excited about.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Around the Network

Toshiba has other Cell processing plants, whos to say they didn't ship all the equipment over to the other plants.  Then when Sony bought it back they can easily re-purpose it for cameras.

If Sony does indeed re-purpose the plant, does that mean they have lost faith in the Cell? 

"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."

Quote by- The Imortal John Wayne, the original BADASS!

why would they buy sumthing that they THINK is going to die? if they lost faith on the cell processor they would't have purchased it at all.......

Joelcool7 said:

I find it funny that the article clearly states the factory will probubly be repurposed to make camera and smart phone technology. Yet all the fans here are talking about it showing Sony's support for the cell. Fact is Sony probubly needed another factory to keep up with cell phone and camera demand so they bought the factory back. Doesn't mean anything or probubly have anything to do with the cell.

Infact Toshiba selling its cell factory is a major blow to the cell not something to be cheering and excited about.

Hey hey. Logical reasoning not welcome here.

Shaman said:

why would they buy sumthing that they THINK is going to die? if they lost faith on the cell processor they would't have purchased it at all.......

Did you not see where Sony said that the company would probably be re-purposed to make parts for digital cameras?  How is this a good thing for the cell if it happens?  

"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."

Quote by- The Imortal John Wayne, the original BADASS!

damndl0ser said:
Shaman said:

Did you not see where Sony said that the company would probably be re-purposed to make parts for digital cameras?  How is this a good thing for the cell if it happens?  

How is this a bad thing then? -_- It just means Sony doesn't 'need' another plant for cell manufaturing

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!