By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony buys back Cell processing plant from Toshiba; makes a killing

Lol thats kinda a win for sony XD

Yeah i know my spelling sucks but im dysgraphic so live with it :3    

---------------------------------------------------Bets--------------------------------------------------

Conegamer - I say that the PS3 will beat the DS next week in Japan  (for hardware sales) Forfeit is control over others avatar for 1 week.

Around the Network

Ha poor Toshiba, making mistake after mistake, first HD DVD and now the Cell processor.. Does IBM do anything interesting lately with the Cell? or did they just intergrate the knowledge into other chiplines? Cause if not from the original STI Alliance only Sony is still in Cell.. which makes the future of Cell looking rather bleak..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

So would this positively affect production costs on PS products?

On another note it does show that Sony must be atleast some what back in good fiscal management.

"Rainbird: Why don't Nintendo and Microsoft Copy the Sony Blog?

Bagenome:You can't shoot things on a blog, and babies can't read, so I don't think it would suit either one's target audience."

d21lewis said:
Honestly, do JRPG makers even realize how hard it is to save the world? That shit is impossible!

I hope they make it more accessible for the devs than this gen, thats all that matters. 

Around the Network
NiKKoM said:

Ha poor Toshiba, making mistake after mistake, first HD DVD and now the Cell processor.. Does IBM do anything interesting lately with the Cell? or did they just intergrate the knowledge into other chiplines? Cause if not from the original STI Alliance only Sony is still in Cell.. which makes the future of Cell looking rather bleak..

All future PPC processors from IBM have are CELL based

I think Toshiba sold the fab because they really didn't need it. They already had a fab that makes Cell processors and cell based TVs aren't selling super well yet (even though I'd buy one of theirs if I could, its a beautiful TV)

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Actually given the quantity of depreciation of the assets in that plant they didn't make a killing at all. They lost money when they sold it and they still lost money overall when they bought it back.

Tease.

Not quite overall we can say they bought the plant for 550 and sold for 850. That still means that out of the blue toshiba essentially gave sony 300million dollars. Now I don't know how deep plant depreciation works but I don't think it's that much

"Rainbird: Why don't Nintendo and Microsoft Copy the Sony Blog?

Bagenome:You can't shoot things on a blog, and babies can't read, so I don't think it would suit either one's target audience."

d21lewis said:
Honestly, do JRPG makers even realize how hard it is to save the world? That shit is impossible!

Good to know sonys in the position to spend half a billion USD.

Also,

"The maker of Cyber-shot cameras will buy back from Toshiba Corp. a factory making chips used in PlayStation 3 game consoles and convert the plant into an image-sensor production facility, Tokyo-based Sony said today in a statement."

LINK