By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

And so much people said: Wii is dead. If Wii is dead, PS 3 and XBOX 360 are in hell xD

SEGA, the Game is never over!

Around the Network
binary solo said:
Darth Tigris said:
4k1x3r said:

Darth Tigris said:

Well the demeaning is the crux of my point.  If it wasn't for EMEAA (and no, I've never liked that grouping), GT5 would be nothing.  But the same can be said of, say, Halo Reach and Americas.  But those purchasers in Americas are quite often demeaned in this community for it as well as the series in general, but GT5 sales in EMEAA have been celebrated for carrying the title.

For the record, this is NOTHING against these games.  They've pretty much proven themselves.  I'm just calling out an inconsistency in the way the community responds to these things.  In fact, if I wanted I could bring up the same inconsistencies with the response to Kinect's performance in Americas ...

Using Polyphony shipped numbers without GT5 data ftm.

Americas Japan Europe Asia EMEAA Worldwide
Total 20,05 9,72 25,94 0.66 26.6 56.36

- Americas : 35.6%

- Japan : 17.2%

Europe : 46%

Asia : 1.2%

- EMEAA : 47.2%

Using VGchartz numbers including GT5.

Americas Japan EMEAA Worldwide
Total 20.38 10.02 27.87 58.27

- Americas : 35%

- Japan : 17.2%

- EMEAA : 47.8%

Now let's check Halo, with VGChartz numbers because that's all we have.

Americas Japan EMEAA Worldwide
Total 30.89 0.50 10.17 41.56

- Americas : 74.3%

- Japan : 1.2%

- EMEAA : 24.5%

Now you see why Halo and GT case are not alike.

Except, outside of special edition consoles, Halo games weren't bundled.  If you remove GT3 from that comparison (which was HEAVILY bundled in Americas), how does it look at that point?

I don't know where you get this "demeaning Halo because it primarily sells in the Americas" from. I've seen a lot of people hate on Halo for no good reason, but that it gets its impressive sales performance mostly because of the Americas isn't one of those no good reasons. I mean really there are almost no big selling FPS games that aren't dominated by Americas sales on 360. Look at MW1, MW2, WaW, Black Ops, Left for Dead 1 & 2, Borderlands... So there's really no legitimacy to singling out Halo as having a large Americas:EMEAA sales imbalance. FPS Games that have a <2:1 sales ratio on 360 are the exception to the rule (or they've sold like crap across the board), meaning Halo games simply follow the normal FPS pattern on 360. End result is that this whole discussion is based on a false premise, as is any flaming about Halo's sales pattern (of which I've seen none).

GT5 is failing to light up the Americas because PS3 has (relatively) failed in the Americas. All those GT owning people who went from PS2 to 360 in the Americas went and got themselves FM2 and especially FM 3, and haven't looked back. There's no reason for those people to buy a PS3 just because of GT5, and there's especially less perceived reason now given GT5 has received a lot of media criticism and significantly lower review scores than FM3. Just look at the difference in regional sales for FM3 compared to other similar games on 360. So GT5 is pre-destined to sell lower in the Americas than any main GT game before it. EMEAA on the other hand is a different matter for GT5. It will certainly outsell GT2, probably outsell GT1 and potentially get very close to GT3.

Anyway, on to what I really wanted to talk about: Does anyone else get the impression that EMEAA numbers are more likely to get substantial adjustments when they get posted early? Seems like it would be better to take the time to refine the numbers and publish them later in the week than push out numbers early in the week only to see substantial adjustment week or 2 later. Kinda plays havoc on the weekly sales analysis articles.

Dunno if it's been mentioned already, but PS3 has just achieved a 2 million console lead over 360 across EMEAA by crossing 21 million in sales on the same week 360 crosses 19 million. I think that's officially a substantial lead. 360 has done extremely well in grabbing a substantial market share, but by itself it didn't do a lot of damage to the Playstation brand. to put PS3's abject failure as a console in perspective: before the end of 2010 PS3 will sell more consoles across EMEAA than Gamecube sold worldwide, and some time in 2011 it will sell more consoles across EMEAA than XB did worldwide. Also some time in 2011 PS3 will have higher in the Americas than N64 and SNES. Assuming another 2 years of sales at least it will surpass all Nintendo home consoles other than Wii, and within that time,and all this while possibly remaining  the 3rd placed console for the generation.

Oh yeah, some nice numbers for the week. Sad to see Heavy Rain out of the top 200, but it had a good run and achieved well above what was expected.

Good post.  I'd note that in US GT sales historically were downtrending anyway before this gen, with GT3 being a bit of an outlier due to high levels of bundling in US (at least that's my understanding).  Forza has clearly been developed to better align to US desires from such a title - more racer less sim basically.

I believe PS3 lead in EMEAA is for sure sustainable now.  The 360 has two extra holiday periods under it's belt in EMEAA as well so given PS3 has achieved this lead in much less time implies that nothing, not even Kinect, will reverse this change.

The US is more or less the opposite.  The 360 has cemented a great lead (even allowing for the extra time on market) and the PS3 looks unlikely to see anything (with the possible exception of price, which I don't believe is possible) to reverse the trend.  Unless they get adjusted the sales of 360 to PS3 (with Move/Kinect thrown into the equation) in US for the holiday's seem to confirm this.

Both HD consoles remain on a path towards a close tie or one or the other slightly ahead, and depending on market growth and sales US vs EMEAA it could clearly still be either that takes the slight lead.

After these holiday sales for Wii I also think it looks unlikely either HD console will get near it unless they manage to somehow kill its underlying demand outside of the holiday season - looking at the above this would more or less require 360 to divert enough attention to itself/Kinect in US vs the Wii and PS3 to do the same in EMEAA with Move.

Neither seems that likely given that despite all the marketing hype for each (Kinect particularly in US) the Wii saw huge demand nonetheless.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

kowenicki said:
extagénesis said:
Halo 3 (X360)
Microsoft
169 598,075 11,310,494

That is just awsome! In his 3th year in the market, Halo 3 sell over 600,000 (2010)... Still be the best selling exclusive in HD ever!

always will be...

no,no,no,no,no,no! Halo 3 is not the best selling exclusive in HD ever... (FLAMEBAIT) :P

I'm Back! - Proud owner of the best doomed handheld of all time!

Mordred11 said:
kowenicki said:
Beuli2 said:
GuiltySpartan77 said:

Is it just me or does the 360 seem to be really under tracked in EMEAA?

Nah, it is just you.

There are usually sizeable adjustments for Holiday sales in January/February.  Lets just wait and see shall we.

Yeah,I see what you mean kowen.I expect the 360 to be adjusted down 2M in EMEAA,and the PS3 up by 1.5M,I presume you expect the same.

I predict a lot meltdowns next year like "b b but the 360 crushed the competition last year.

PS3ers loves adjustments like 360ers hates it.

Wii is on fire and they're software sales is insane.

Around the Network
Mordred11 said:
What?!And here I thought geniuses think alike.Guess you're not that smart after all...Lol,just messing with you mate :P.I expect the 360 to be adjusted up in EMEAA actually,but not by much.PS3 should stay the same...

Like always .. people never learn.

kowenicki said:
ethomaz said:
Mordred11 said:
kowenicki said:
Beuli2 said:
GuiltySpartan77 said:

Is it just me or does the 360 seem to be really under tracked in EMEAA?

Nah, it is just you.

There are usually sizeable adjustments for Holiday sales in January/February.  Lets just wait and see shall we.

Yeah,I see what you mean kowen.I expect the 360 to be adjusted down 2M in EMEAA,and the PS3 up by 1.5M,I presume you expect the same.

I predict a lot meltdowns next year like "b b but the 360 crushed the competition last year.

why?

Because PS3 will be massive adjusted up and the 360 not... so the figure today will be changed like happened this year, last year, the year before, the first year.

There are a good chance the PS3 be adjusted up in NA next year with numbers coming from LA and Mexico (I read VGC is trying to track these contries).

kowenicki said:
ethomaz said:
Mordred11 said:
What?!And here I thought geniuses think alike.Guess you're not that smart after all...Lol,just messing with you mate :P.I expect the 360 to be adjusted up in EMEAA actually,but not by much.PS3 should stay the same...

and your reasoning?

History. Every year it happens.

But my previous post explain a little.

kowenicki said:
ethomaz said:
Mordred11 said:

and your reasoning?  

Read his post history and you'd know.

The simple fact is that last year the PS3 got big adjustments because the slim PS3 and pricecut were hard to track.  In 2008 the 360 got big adjustments as it's price cut was also hard to track through the holiday season.  This year it's blatantly obvious the console that is most likely to have been mistracked is the 360 with it's slim revision and heavy bundling of Kinect.

January/February is going to be hilarious next year.

slowmo said:
kowenicki said:
ethomaz said:
Mordred11 said:

and your reasoning?

Read his post history and you'd know.

The simple fact is that last year the PS3 got big adjustments because the slim PS3 and pricecut were hard to track.  In 2008 the 360 got big adjustments as it's price cut was also hard to track through the holiday season.  This year it's blatantly obvious the console that is most likely to have been mistracked is the 360 with it's slim revision and heavy bundling of Kinect.

January/February is going to be hilarious next year.

No because PS3 had huge adjustments since 2007... so the next year the will be happen.

I know... I said this every year... and every I won the bet until now.

So next year I will lose? I don't think so.