By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When will the Wii catchup with the Xbox360 in h/w sales ??

vanguardian1 said:

Crackdown with the Halo3 Beta and Lost Planet didn't seem to change the numbers for 360's sales, why would Mass Effect?

And what is this Elite game?  It's the first time I've heard it mentioned. 

I don't know if your are joking about the elite game, but it isn't a game it is simply a new version of xbox360: bigger hard drive and stuff

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

Around the Network
mrstickball said:

SpaceJace -

Did you ever bother to take a look at Halo2 launch numbers and see the actual "temporary blip"? November 2004 was the highest Nov. for the Xbox, the highest (or near highest) November EVER for a non-launch month for a console in history, and allowed the Xbox become the ONLY system to beat the PS2 out for a month. It shattered PS2 sales in December as well. (they both sold nearly the same # of units). Thats a huge coup for Xbox in 2004, as PS2 sales were nearly as strong the next Dec.

Fact is, weather people like it or not, GTAIV and H3 coming out within 1 week of eachother on the same system is HUGE. I hate Halo, and I really could care less for the game, but it's proven to be a system mover, and will do that immensely in November. I see the 360 easily beating the Wii and PS3 out in Nov and Dec. heck, it could beat Wii+ PS3 combined in November. Unlikely? Not when you consider that the Xbox did the same vs. PS2 and GC when H2 came out...And that was w/o a GTA game coming out on the system, and no price drop that was near it (as significantly as the $100 will be when MS does it before both games come out)

Honestly, did ever anyone think about Halo to bomb? I don´t mean really "bomb" but the graphics seem to be far away from the best on the consoles. Yes, it has it´s name but XBox owners want great graphics too and Halo 3 doesn´t look that great - good but not great. I think this could really drop the sales of Halo 3. And btw: Nintendo DS sells better than PSP even if something like Monster Hunter portable 2nd is released in Japan - so maybe the wii could too? (I don´t know...)

Kwaad said:

http://vgchartz.com/amonthly.php?date=38292

x-box outsold PS2.

Tsk, Tsk.

So when Halo 2 first came out ( read - its first month sales- ) it outsold GTA: San Andreas for PS2...when San Andreas was in it's second month of sales. 

Of course, GTA:SA for PS2 outsold Halo 2 overall on it's own. This does not include the latter Xbox sales.

Dear Forum,

Here is your moment of daily zen:

"There are lies, damned lies and then there are statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

"There are three types of lies : Lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli ( Made famous by Mark Twain )

PSN ID: DeviantPathways

Wii Number: 0081 3044 1559 2355

Umm actually Kwaad, that link still shows PS2 outselling Xbox for the month....Halo 2 did sell quite a lot, but on 3.5+m games sold only 820,000 xbox's were sold. As for the argument that halo 3 will put a huge hardware surge for 360, that does not make sense. The type of gamers who would go out and buy a 360 for Halo3 already did that for Gears of War. As it is the same type of game and was a great game. I would expect similar sales to Halo 2. 3.5-4m in game sales and 800,000 or so hardware sales. In a November month, the Wii will probably sell 1.2m+ easy, when combined with a new genre on wii, Super Smash Bros: Brawl. No contest. As for the argument that there are still 10m+ people out there who were xbox owners wanting to buy a 360...please. The same could be said about Wii and to a much greater extent PS3. This holiday will prove to you all that Wii will be the dominant console this gen.

DoesWhatNintenDont said:
Kwaad said:

http://vgchartz.com/amonthly.php?date=38292

x-box outsold PS2.

Tsk, Tsk.

So when Halo 2 first came out ( read - its first month sales- ) it outsold GTA: San Andreas for PS2...when San Andreas was in it's second month of sales. 

Of course, GTA:SA for PS2 outsold Halo 2 overall on it's own. This does not include the latter Xbox sales.

Dear Forum,

Here is your moment of daily zen:

"There are lies, damned lies and then there are statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

Halo 2 - 1st week of sales - 3.5 Million

GTA 3 -  1st week of sales - 2.2 Million

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Around the Network

superchunk said:
Umm actually Kwaad, that link still shows PS2 outselling Xbox for the month....Halo 2 did sell quite a lot, but on 3.5+m games sold only 820,000 xbox's were sold. As for the argument that halo 3 will put a huge hardware surge for 360, that does not make sense. The type of gamers who would go out and buy a 360 for Halo3 already did that for Gears of War. As it is the same type of game and was a great game. 

This holiday will prove to you all that Wii will be the dominant console this gen

it hit in november. A part of the  Hardware sales were high due to Xmas shopping not Halo2

holiday wont prove anything for the wii.

Hus said:

It will when Wii more than doubles PS3 or 360 even after all of their 'killer' apps come out.

superchunk said:

Hus said:

It will when Wii more than doubles PS3 or 360 even after all of their 'killer' apps come out.

LMFAO

... Wii will sales 4 million in Nov/Dec....

Remember that the units that Nintendo ship (DS and Wii) aren't all that they produce a month... basically their financial reports state that they are putting out about 1 million a month (up until March) that means 100,000 units is being put aside each month to contribute to the christmas time stockpile (it is stupid for a company with such demand to do it or they will not capitalise on christmas sales). They will also be taking a chunk off the top of the DS as well, i'd say more than 100,000 units a month and with increased capacity more than this. I can see DS and Wii going incredibly insane this christmas period, there will be at least 2 million units in around the world from the stockpile and also from that months production for Wii (so maybe 3million available world wide for christmas?) DS I really don't have much of an idea this year, I think last year will have been bigger, but who knows, Japan might continue to be huge again in Japan this Christmas (DQIX)

I never thougt Halo was so popular it is not so popular in Europe in fact I don't know anyone of my friends who have one of the first two Halo games. The numbers are incredible: Halo 2 America : 6.11 sold Others: 1.67 (Others = is not only Europe so pretty impressive in America). Hmm Halo 3 will skyrocket the X360 in America for sure ^^