By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Mini reviews of random (good) manga. Naruto is not allowed

Onani Master Kurosawa

It's about a teenage guy who's an outcast that masturbates on a daily basis in a abandoned girls bathroom in his school. I was recommended this manga just recently and at first I was kinda putt off by it, but as I kept reading I was just absorbed into the story. You'll start off thinking it's a Death Note parody that  involves masturbation as an answer for every evil deed, but that's only a side product to what's really being told and once I caught on, I loved where it was going. I became emotionally attached to  the characters, I actually related a lot of things they were going through to events and feelings I've had in my life and I'm sure many other people will be able to have that same experience. This manga has made me a better person, I read it all in 6 hours and it's an experience I wish I could have again with another story in the future. I highly recommend it. 10/10

BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad

BECK is special. It's special because it breaks away from a lot of stereotypical elements that hold most manga back these days and actually delivers a real story, something that I can relate to and hope to achieve. I loved BECK, I've read thousands of books, watched hundreds of movies, played hundreds of games and I've seen the ending to TV series that have lasted decades, but BECK is my favourite. It's a story about a young guy who's lost in his own boring little world, he then one day meets a guitarist who changes his life forever by introducing him into a new world of friends, music and love. Slowly, a band begins to emerge out of this friendship and they spend the series trying to become a popular rock band in Japan's underground music scene.

This all sounds simple, but it's really not, the driving element in BECK that makes it special is the relationships the lead builds up with all the characters, real relationships. They don't involve crazy love triangles, mass betrayal, knife fights in the alley, they're just real relationships involving believable characters in a real scenario that many people wish they could be apart of. You know how people want to be Superman? Well, they're crazy, because it's impossible, but what BECK did  was show me a realistic story that I wish I could be able to tell about myself. I won't go on, but I will say that BECK is probably the most under appreciated manga in it's respective medium and it upsets me that many people won't be able to appreciate how special it is. It's highly recommend and I also recommend watching the English Dub of the anime, the music, animation and English voice acting is fantastic and it's only 25 episodes long. 10/10.

Love Hina

A guy fails to get into a high class University and so he's decided to live at his Grandmothers inn, but thing's dont go as planned and he ends up inheriting the Inn (now a girls dormitory) which he has to manage, while trying to live with a bunch of teenage girls who also happen to take baths in the hot spas every chance they get. They also don't like him and they are also involved in plenty of weird naughty situations which is usually caused by random accidents involving the young manager. 

Love Hina is pretty cool. I've never really gotten into the whole teenage love affair/comedy thing that's been really popular with manga in the past, but I actually liked and finished Love Hina. The characters are charming, the setting is interesting, it's genuinely funny and the quirkiness is cool. It's got plenty of under-age bewbs, manga cliché's  and the relationships do drag on a bit, but I did finish it and the wackiness of it all really keeps it interesting. 7/10.

Dr. Slump

Holy Shit! Akira Toriyama is amazing and he doesn't even need Dragon Ball to fall back on. I've only been able to get my hands on the first volume, but I finished it one night and I just couldn't stop smiling throughout the whole thing. It's just that funny, witty and cute. It's about a weird scientist named Dr. Slump who one day builds a robotic daughter named Arale, wacky scenarios then ensue and that's basically the whole plotline. The drawings are also really good, I could stare at a page for minutes just trying to find all the hidden jokes and notes that Akira leaves behind on nearly every page. I highly recommend Dr. Slump. 9/10.

Just to mix it up, I'll also throw in some anime that people should really watch.

FLCL: It's six episodes long, but in those six episodes it tell's an amazing story about puberty, while also showing off some amazing animation, music and fight scenes. It's probably the best directed piece of media I've ever watched and Western directors really need to get their shit together, because they are clearly being outclassed. 9/10.

Trigun: I loved it as a kid, I recently re-watched it and I still love it. It's got a few dull moments, but the characters, action and great comedic timing more than make up for that. 8/10.

Ya'll can throw me some recommendations. I don't like mecha and I'm very picky with my shounen. If anyone knows of any manga that are similar to BECK or OKM, I'd greatly appreciate the recommendation.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Around the Network

Uh... you do realize Manga is the comic book one and anime is the video one right?  Just because of the mentioning of FLCL.

That said... I found FLCL just... dreadful.  It's from that Evangelion school of, "lets throw a bunch of stuff against the wall, and hope it sticks and people will think we're deep" school of story writing.

Just started volume 1 of Pluto the premise of it looks promising.

"Life is but a gentle death. Fate is but a sickness that results in extinction and in the midst of all the uncertainty, lies resolve."

Kasz216 said:

Uh... you do realize Manga is the comic book one and anime is the video one right?  Just because of the mentioning of FLCL.

That said... I found FLCL just... dreadful.  It's from that Evangelion school of, "lets throw a bunch of stuff against the wall, and hope it sticks and people will think we're deep" school of story writing.

I found FLCL pretty simple actually. A normal kid lives in a boring town, he wants to grow up faster than he should, through a series of events he finds out that an adult life is much harder than he thinks it is and by the end he decides to go about his life like a normal kid and develop his relationships more naturally. I thought the animation, length and music drove the show more than the story though.

Evangelion requires way too much digging to actually fully understand what happens, I really enjoyed the show, but even after watching the remakes and the movies, I'm still pretty lost. I understood enough and I liked (hated) the characters enough that the series was great at the time of watching, but I can also understand how people would be putt off by it.

I also mentioned that FLCL was an anime.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Kasz216 said:

FLCL i thought was pure genre parody, so i was able to enjoy it, unlike Evangelion which was indeed the height of pretension

As for the OT: I'd recommend Welcome to the NHK. It runs in a similar vein to Onani Master Kurosawa.

But i tend to have poor taste. I like tits, explosions, and over-the-top characters (not necessarily in that order), so i venture off in the world of the big three and associated ecchi (Queen's Blade) or downright weirdness like Panty and Stocking With Garterbelt , even if i do feel that Naruto and Bleach have severely lost track of themselves. Yeah, Bleach is doing something new finally, but who should care after doing the same singular arc for so long, and Naruto should've killed Sasuke a loooooong time ago, though i am insane for One Piece

Actually, another solid recommendation for people with better taste than i (but something i also found appealing) was Ah! My Goddess, though i watched the anime because, unlike the manga, it had two seasons and fifty some episodes, and hasn't run monthly for twenty friggin' years. Imagine a quasi-harem anime, yet one where the protagonist and his partner have, in twenty years, yet to get further than first base. Sounds maddening, i know, but the world introduces a mythology and over-the-top characters that you can, at the same time, really care for, and observe their growth and really cheer for as well.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
Kasz216 said:

FLCL i thought was pure genre parody, so i was able to enjoy it, unlike Evangelion which was indeed the height of pretension

As for the OT: I'd recommend Welcome to the NHK. It runs in a similar vein to Onani Master Kurosawa.

But i tend to have poor taste. I like tits, explosions, and over-the-top characters (not necessarily in that order), so i venture off in the world of the big three and associated ecchi (Queen's Blade) or downright weirdness like Panty and Stocking With Garterbelt , even if i do feel that Naruto and Bleach have severely lost track of themselves. Yeah, Bleach is doing something new finally, but who should care after doing the same singular arc for so long, and Naruto should've killed Sasuke a loooooong time ago, though i am insane for One Piece

Actually, another solid recommendation for people with better taste than i (but something i also found appealing) was Ah! My Goddess, though i watched the anime because, unlike the manga, it had two seasons and fifty some episodes, and hasn't run monthly for twenty friggin' years. Imagine a quasi-harem anime, yet one where the protagonist and his partner have, in twenty years, yet to get further than first base. Sounds maddening, i know, but the world introduces a mythology and over-the-top characters that you can, at the same time, really care for, and observe their growth and really cheer for as well.

If it was gender parody nobody else seems to have gotten that.

Queens blade... I thin I lasted about 5 minutes with that, then breasts came out and I was done.

One Anime I did find really good by the way was Gunslinger girl.

It kept me engaged without me really liking either ogrinzation, which was quite talented of them.

Kasz216 said:
Mr Khan said:
Kasz216 said:

If it was gender parody nobody else seems to have gotten that.

Queens blade... I thin I lasted about 5 minutes with that, then breasts came out and I was done.

It was a show where a kid teleported extraterrestrial technology in through his skull. It may not have been deliberate parody, but it certainly didn't take itself seriously

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I don't read much manga but when I do, it's usually pretty weird.

ZETSUBOUSHITA!

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Fairy Tail:  Magic plus comedy plus fan service equals awesome sauce.