By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Last Demographic- Will The 360 Hold, or for how Long?

Yeah, "lower" as in "below the waist".

Seriously, though, your usage is definitely the more obscure, at least in my neck of the woods. I just wanted to make sure you weren't accidentally misusing the word or mistaking it for another.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network

im 17 and everyone i know has 360 my age, only a few own a wii (mostly girls......)

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.
Kyros said:
In the end I think the Wii is pondering to the 14year old insecure boy demographic as much or more than the other systems. Using the Wii controller to simulate choking people in GodFather? Shoot&Kill with the Zapper and Medal of Honor? Slicing them up in Red Steel?

No the Violence has not much to do with the system choice. I will concede though that 14-30 year old males are more impressed by the technical brilliance and beautiful looks of games on the other two. I couldn't play a Wii or PS2 game anymore (besides a quick round of Tennis with friends) They look like hell on a HD-TV.

Besides 360/PS3 simply have by far the more sophisticated games. Yes everyone can play Wii Tennis or Mario Kart but if you are able to play games that give you more options, a bigger world, a better storyline why not use it? Bioshock, MAss Effects, Assassin's are all games that give you many options, a great story and innovative gameplay. Console games on PS3 and 360 have become more mature that is correct but not (only) in the violence section. PC games also started off simple but they evolved into more complex beasts like realtime strategy games, advanced role-playing games etc. pp.

I think that is the main distinction. The Wii is more accessible, 360/PS3 have the more complex, advanced games. At the moment keeping it simple lets the Wii sell more units but if you like your games complex, beautiful with great stories and many options you will not be content with the Wii. Both approaches have their merit and you have to choose the right system for your gaming requirements. Or buy both.

Now this is a good post. It doesn't even contain vague stereotyping or chest-thumping.

At the end of the day the demographics that the 360 performs well in can be loosely defined as the informed gamer, the gamer that perhaps spends a lot of time reading game impressions and reviews and spends a reasonable amount of time discussing games with others. You win these people over by releasing great games.

Now the Wii has some great games, but they tend to be from franchises that were great on the Gamecube and great on the N64. Basically if these demographics didn't want a Nintendo console then, then they really have no reason to change their opinion now. Informed gamers have already factored in that there will be a great Zelda title and a great Mario title and so it has no impact upon their decision-making. Winning over this demographic is not about releasing violent videogames its about releasing interesting, ambitious and innovative gaming titles.

Debating with fanboys, its not
all that dissimilar to banging ones
head against a wall 

i like all the consoles (even after sony gave me a form of dissapointment last year.) there is one fact that will always be apparent 2 all and that is the fact that the 360 cannot succeed WITHOUT JAPAN AND EUROPE WHERE THE WIIS3 IS TROUNCING IT!!

Damn things have changed since 2009 began. Here are my new visions for the end of the generation.

Wii: 135 mil

Ps3: 85 mil

360: 60 mil

True Genius

im 23. i want to get a wii but stupid nintendo hasnt made any black ones yet!! idiots!!!

yea, i have a ps3 but i typically dont like shooters. particularly FPSs.

Metalcore, Hardcore, Punk, Emo, Rock.

Around the Network

Funny happy thymes. So many assumptions and generalizations and the way people gently caress them.

Red blood, MOAR. Girls, MOAR!

They will be washed away, for they are the unclean. And there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

@OP: I agree on the violence part, it does interest kids since they think it's something that makes you mature.
But there's also another point of view, and this is about shooters. I actually wrote something similar to another topic. So, brains are in a state of constant change in ages between 12-25 (could start before 12, but should end at latest in the age of 25) and the brain chemistry is somewhat disturbed until brains reach it's maximum. These brains also need a lot of testosterone, which you can give to them by playing a simple fast-paced game, which really don't require thinking, only reflexes and preferrably constantly. When they feel like they've accoplished something (in this case for example fragged someone online), brain rewards itself with a hefty amount of endorphines, which is comparable to injecting morphine (endorphine actually is relative to morphine). When you're around 15-16, the change is in it's maximum and at that age, the games i mentioned, hit the best.
The reason why they play this kind of games, is that it's competition, if you don't compete in games, you compete in something else, sports, driving etc. It's all about natural behavior of becoming "hunter", "warrior" or even "fisherman", in other words, the alpha-male, who gets to choose first with who to reproduce, get your own genes forwarded before others.
Now, after you reach your personal alpha-male status, you also calm down, compete only that much, what's necessary to remain your status.
The reason why gaming in general is seen "kiddy" is the competition aspect in games, which is considered for immature unsecure people, who still haven't found their social status. When non-competing, in other words, fun, is considered to be more mature, since it's something that secure matures do to pass time. So, basically you compete only with people, who can challenge your status, or as a challenger, you compete people with higher status.

@dgenerate: If half of the money EA makes with Wii goes for developement for other consoles, it means certain financial irrationalities. Which means, that they will focus on Wii, since it makes more profit. It's as simple as that.

@gebx: Maybe the people grew out of Halo? Anyway, it doesn't mean, that everyone who bought earlier Halos are Halo fans. The newest Halo was bought by people who are fans, people who just saw it as quality game for 360 and people who haven't played Halo ever and wanted to find out what the hype was all about.

@Kyros: Innovative gameplay, game depth and sophistication have hardly anything to do with hardware it's running. But at the moment 360 and PS3 games have more depth and sophistication than Wii games, on average. But things can change quickly. The best (independently) selling game on Wii happens to be the most sophisticated and has the most depht of Wii games. This should tell the developers, that this kind of games sell on Wii.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

"Innovative gameplay, game depth and sophistication have hardly anything to do with hardware"

There are some exceptions (I couldn't imagine the huge open Jerusalem with all its inhabitants on a Wii/PS2) but generally I would agree with that statement. (Although GTA also simulates a huge open city so most likely hardware ist not the decisive factor)

"But things can change quickly. The best (independently) selling game on Wii happens to be the most sophisticated and has the most depht of Wii games. This should tell the developers, that this kind of games sell on Wii."

Yes things can change but I would disagree with quickly. A really good game needs years to develop. And they cannot simply port 360 or PS3 games. I would imagine that there are some Wii projects starting at the moment but so far there are too many cash-ins. If I get a Wii then for playing with friends where the Wii really excells the competition, but only after the price has dropped.

HappySqurriel said:

The insecure 14 year old boy demographic (including the insecure 14 year old boys at heart) will probably never embrace the Wii because its technical specs are not drool worthy and it will (probably) never have as many pointless ultra-violent games as the other systems do ...

I remember being in that mindset when I was 14 as well, and I can honestly say that it would be difficult to sell Mario Galaxy to these gamers when Kane and Litch was available ...

I don't know.  Sega was not as tech spec as SNES and it was really popular with those that wanted to be cool because of marketing.  I bought a PS1 in high school, even though the N64 had better graphics.  The games were just cooler for what I was looking for at the time.  The 3d fighting games and Square moved over to PS1.

But I think the majority of hardcore 15-30 year old guys in America will still think the 360 is better than the Wii 3 years from now. 

And about girls and older people, I could not agree more.  My dad enjoys the Wii and every girl that has tried it, loved it. 

currently playing: Desktop Tower Defense (PC), Puzzle Quest (DS), Trauma Center New Blood (Wii), Guitar Hero III (Wii), Ghost Squad (Wii), Actraiser (SNES), Donkey Kong County (SNES), The Legend of Zelda (NES), Kirby's Adventure (NES)

will play next: Paper Mario (N64), Golden Axe II (Sega), NiGHTS (Wii)

Join the Ron Paul RLOVEution, support Ron Paul for president in the 2008 Republican presidential primary! http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Theres more 360ers than people who have a wii at my school. But pretty much everyone that has a 360 wants a wii for smash bros next year. I dont think wii is doing that bad with teens. But a few more mature games couldn't hurt it.