By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii shortages costing Nintendo $1 billion: analysts

Keyword is unmade sales. But come on how many do they expect Nintendo to produce haha. I mean geez to meet the demand they would have needed to produce and ship over 25-30 million this fiscal year. How can you blame a company for not doing that. Especially in year 1.

Around the Network

First: Analsyts = Don't know any more about the true Wii demand than we do.

Second: You definitely didn't diserve some of the rude responses in that thread, I won't argue with that. But this idea that they could easily be selling double, while I'm sure flattering to Nintendo, really doesn't have anything more backing it up than the belief that they could only sell 10-20% more, or any other increase.

Most people will agree they could be selling a lot more units but I have a hard time believing that they could truly sell double, particularly in Japan and Europe. I find it a lot more likely in the US, and I probably wouldn't be completely floored by the ordeal if it happened in the others regions..but still fairly shocked.

No matter how you look at it selling double the units would essentially mean that the monster November they had would become a small month....below average...just "ok". And while I wouldn't mind seeing them with that kind of success I do have a hard time believing it....and I'v been called a Wii-fanboy...

To Each Man, Responsibility

The silly notion that Nintendo intentionally limits supply has been dealt a mortal blow,

But the soul still burns

</soulcalibur announcer> 

I believe (just as some analysts do) the Wii could have easily sold double in the U.S., U.K., Australia and several other countries.

Oh well.

lenardo said:
one thing wrong

its GAMESTOP

not GAMESPOT-that is a website..

but you know i agree for the most part. if they shipped 3 million units a month.. currently they'd SELL about 3 million units a month

I always mix up those names when talking about either one. I catch myself but I still keep making that mistake. Verbal dyslexia?

The best problem in the world is having a demand that outstrips your uncanny supply. The only task is to meet it.

Believe me. Nintendo's not happy on missing out on all this opportunity either which is why I say in 2008 they will be more prepared resulting in the 60 million end of 2008 number I predicted.

John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

Around the Network

I have heard this argument over and over again....

The question is not whether Nintendo can, would or should have made more units....

The question is....why would they? Why should they?

Nintendo has increased the amount of units made at least three times now....and people still want more and more....it is almost a never-ending desire.

Nintendo has created something everybody but the die-hard, anti-Ninty fanboys want and it cannot produce enough...but if they manage to do it, if they manage to meet or even surpass the desire, is that a good thing? If it is, who is it good for? Nintendo or us? Certainly for us, and us only. Because we will all be able to have a system. But if everybody does, what is left to satisfy our desire? The games of course. But if most of the third-party companies discounted the Wii before it even came out and Nintendo can only make so much games themselves, you have few games to count on and few reasons to keep the customers satisfied. There are still great great games for the Wii, but if Ninty's past two systems have failed, few companies other than Nintendo themselves would believe in the Wii enough to make QUALITY games. So Nintendo will make the systems, they will give the customers what they want as much as they can, but why would they go out of their way to make an obscene amount of systems w/o enough quality games to satisfy everybody? What would be the point of making all those systems without the software to support them? Not everybody are buying the system JUST for Wii Sports, as much as fanboys would like to think....

Besides that, isn't Nintendo still currently producing more units than Sony and Microsoft? And yet Nintendo is still blamed for not making enough? Sony is probably one of if not the BIGGEST company when it comes to selling electronics, yet are they making this many units per month for any of the consoles they made? Isn't creating demand for one's product more important than satisfying the customers all at once and then stop?

I guess I should just end my rambling now...not enough sleep

Explanation of sig:

I am a Pakistani.....my name is Dan....how hard is that? (Don't ask about the 101...apparantely there are more of me out there....)

Costing nintendo 1B? What are you insane? Its not costing them anything. you should have put that they could have made an extra 1B.

mM

On the plus side, demand for your product is always a good thing.

I'm a filmmaker, writer, and gamer. Add me on Xbox Live or message me!

XBL Gamertag: StraitupBeastin

Yes yes yes... it's a good problem to have in the grand scheme of things.

But there's no getting around the fact that Nintendo would make a crapload more money if they could get product on the shelves. And with respect to the hindsight is 20/20 comment. It doesn't take much foresight to understand that they needed a heck of a lot more then 1.8 million units a month for the holiday season.

How many other companies have not been able to keep product in stock for over a year? You can rationalize "unprecedented demand" all you want, it's still poor business management.

While we are talking about woulda/shoulda, how much money did the third parties leave on the Wii table? If only they had grab a few people off the street, told them to build some great games (or even better, ones that sold well), like Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition or Rayman Raving Rabbids, they too could have made a lot more money!!!!!

While hindsight is 20/20, it does look like some are actually doing this. Carnival Games has been moving along nicely and is over 300K in America, with I would assume, future releases in the rest of the world. Good profits for them, however... (back to panic mode)

OH NO!!! MILLIONS lost by NOT releasing it yet in the rest of the WORLD!!! Sales are lost and will go to Wii Sport and Wii Play. And never will be recovered by Carnival!!! They are extremely lucky to have sold their 300K to the US prior to people buying Wii Sports and playing that game. After all, Wii Sports is ranked here 1 point higher than Carnival.

Torturing the numbers.  Hear them scream.