By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Against the grain: When do our expectations end?

Immortal said:

The gaming industry should do away with reviews, :P. Everybody seems to hate them, xD.

Anyway, I really don't know if gamers can change right now; when you're in a recession without a job, every fifty dollar bill counts. You can't just buy a title that has even the slightest chance of being below par. That would be a complete waste, and considering how long you'll have to wait till you save enough for another video game, experimenting with a <90 Metacritic game isn't worth it, especially since there's always lots of higher rated games left to play.

Not that that's the case with me, :P. I'm definitely not monetarily constrained and I could care less what some silly reviewers who don't even give every Pokemon/DQ game perfect by default have to say about a game, xD.

This is very true. Although I live in the UK, and £50 notes are very rare!

But yeah, reviews are not to blame. I feel as though, maybe, reviews should have no score. Far, far too many people just see the score and think (not buying that) or vice-versa, and then they won't buy the game, or buy a supposedly good game, and not like it, because they didn't read the actual text to se if they'd like it.

My suggestion isn't that we should scrap reviews, but that they should be written, and the best reviews promoted. This way, people won't just read the score at the end, and they can therefore make a more informed decision on what to spend their hard-earned cash on

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network
Conegamer said:
Immortal said:

The gaming industry should do away with reviews, :P. Everybody seems to hate them, xD.

Anyway, I really don't know if gamers can change right now; when you're in a recession without a job, every fifty dollar bill counts. You can't just buy a title that has even the slightest chance of being below par. That would be a complete waste, and considering how long you'll have to wait till you save enough for another video game, experimenting with a <90 Metacritic game isn't worth it, especially since there's always lots of higher rated games left to play.

Not that that's the case with me, :P. I'm definitely not monetarily constrained and I could care less what some silly reviewers who don't even give every Pokemon/DQ game perfect by default have to say about a game, xD.

But yeah, reviews are not to blame. I feel as though, maybe, reviews should have no score. Far, far too many people just see the score and think (not buying that) or vice-versa, and then they won't buy the game, or buy a supposedly good game, and not like it, because they didn't read the actual text to se if they'd like it.

My suggestion isn't that we should scrap reviews, but that they should be written, and the best reviews promoted. This way, people won't just read the score at the end, and they can therefore make a more informed decision on what to spend their hard-earned cash on

That's actually a pretty good idea. It would also increase average gamer literacy, xD.

The problem is, though, that the review sites care more about hits than anything else, something that we can't blame them for doing. And hits will increase if many people are offended/excited by the review. Since the writing won't necessarily reflect how good the game is but just its strong and weak points, nothing will be controversial. That means fewer hits for them. No way they'll agree to that.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Conegamer said:
zgamer5 said:
Conegamer said:
zgamer5 said:

why are you so obssesed with beuli2 stop trieng to get his attention, he hates dogs!

Because he rates everything I do. And he's cool. But he lost his round of newcomer of the year. So I need to soften the blow by making awesome threads.

Also, he can't hate dogs. He has 2. He doesn't seem to be a dog-hater

if people regular posters voted then he woudnt have lost, most of the people who vote their are newcomers, its a really cheesy competition were people vote because they like the avatar of the person or their name, or because that certain person is the host of the competition.

A bit of hate because you didn't win? In the end it was just a bit of light-hearted fun, something which Rainbow Yoshi should be applauded for

you do know that we can get back into round 2 :P, theirs no hate, i just want the competition to be fair, until know its a fashion contest.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

zgamer5 said:
Conegamer said:
zgamer5 said:
Conegamer said:
zgamer5 said:

why are you so obssesed with beuli2 stop trieng to get his attention, he hates dogs!

Because he rates everything I do. And he's cool. But he lost his round of newcomer of the year. So I need to soften the blow by making awesome threads.

Also, he can't hate dogs. He has 2. He doesn't seem to be a dog-hater

if people regular posters voted then he woudnt have lost, most of the people who vote their are newcomers, its a really cheesy competition were people vote because they like the avatar of the person or their name, or because that certain person is the host of the competition.

A bit of hate because you didn't win? In the end it was just a bit of light-hearted fun, something which Rainbow Yoshi should be applauded for

you do know that we can get back into round 2 :P, theirs no hate, i just want the competition to be fair, until know its a fashion contest.

True...however, no I'm helping out I'll try my best to eridicate this!

I'll also suggest you and Beuli should go through; no bias here

Immortal said:
Conegamer said:
Immortal said:

That's actually a pretty good idea. It would also increase average gamer literacy, xD.

The problem is, though, that the review sites care more about hits than anything else, something that we can't blame them for doing. And hits will increase if many people are offended/excited by the review. Since the writing won't necessarily reflect how good the game is but just its strong and weak points, nothing will be controversial. That means fewer hits for them. No way they'll agree to that.

Yes, but hits don't mean anything. Perhaps being paid a regular sum of money for each reviewed game, be it positive or negative, would get around this issue. This would also mean more shovelware gets reviewed, showing how poor it is, so less people buy them.

Sounds like a plan!

Around the Network

I will say this though, video game ratings in general are more objective and reliable than movie or music ratings. Die Hard got a score of 70...cold-war paranoia must have clouded their judgement.  And music, you have to experience that for yourself.  

pacman91 said:

I will say this though, video game ratings in general are more objective and reliable than movie or music ratings. Die Hard got a score of 70...cold-war paranoia must have clouded their judgement.  And music, you have to experience that for yourself.  

True, but perhaps the entertainment therefore needs to overhaul the way they review games and introduce a new system? Maybe more demos are needed, no matter the media, so you can try for yourself. Different people like different things, duh

I try not to care about review scores or other peoples opinions anymore when it comes to games.

People will have tastes that differ then my own. There's no way I'll know if I like a game until I play it anyway.

I don't think it's too big of a deal though. It may be like the news. People tend to gravitate toward the opinions that they agree with. Conservatives will watch the conservative news, and liberals will watch the liberal news. Review scores may be the same. People go to sites that say the games they like are good... until the trend stops. Who knows.

silicon said:

I try not to care about review scores or other peoples opinions anymore when it comes to games.

People will have tastes that differ then my own. There's no way I'll know if I like a game until I play it anyway.

I don't think it's too big of a deal though. It may be like the news. People tend to gravitate toward the opinions that they agree with. Conservatives will watch the conservative news, and liberals will watch the liberal news. Review scores may be the same. People go to sites that say the games they like are good... until the trend stops. Who knows.

Exactly; instead if moaning about review scores people should actually go and BUY the game first

Example: FF13

OK people, I've put up my NEW thread, based on mature titles on the Wii, and why they all flop

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=121479

Expect to see something about the PS3/PSP this weekend!