By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Kinect is on pace to be the fastest-selling device of all time

Still don't understand about sales slowing significantly after the holidays.  Has that ever happened before with a hot product that people are enjoying like this???

Around the Network

Quality over quantity.People need to understand because something has sell a lot of units it doesn't mean its good.

Transformers 2 sold a lot of tickets and gain millions,but...it still sucked the big one

I think that title goes to Wii Fit balance board.....but then again I'm sure something else has sold faster. uhm

Well done Microsoft!

Will probably pick one up next year.

dany612 said:

I think that title goes to Wii Fit balance board.....but then again I'm sure something else has sold faster. uhm

Nope!

Check your numbers.

Kinect is slightly ahead of Wii Fit sales (launch aligned).

After 5 weeks:

Wii Balance board: 3,329,646

Kinect: 3,551,315  (Japan sales of just 3 weeks)

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
PlaystaionGamer said:

Kinect is selling amazingly and that will continue for a long time!

but... iphone 4 sold 16.5million in 3 months (in the summer period). Kinect has sold 4 million in a month at christmas. How is it even close to the fastest selling device of all time? 

this puzzles me too... I have seen other claims like this one, its like phones dont count or something?

They don't count phones and certain other devices - so it's a bit of a caveated 'best'.

I don't get the rules for where they draw the line.  If you check some of the source posts for the Ipad for example you'll see they note phones are not included.  I'm also not sure if the 'best' is global or US, all the sources seem a little ambivient there.  It's also a hard comparison as obviously price is a factor, and iPad's, for example, are a lot more expensive.

Still, huge sales as a new peripheral at that price point, whichever way you look at it, certainly outperformed my expectations.  I thought it would sell well in US but not at that level, and I thought price/space would hold in back in UK but in both cases I was too pessimistic.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Simply PR talk imo..

Darth Tigris said:

Still don't understand about sales slowing significantly after the holidays.  Has that ever happened before with a hot product that people are enjoying like this???

It would be unheard of for a consumer electronics device to not slow a little after the holidays.  Think about it, you've got normal demand plus gift demand across the holidays - that's a huge spike normally particularly for consumer electronics.

After the holidays people buying it as a gift should disappear and it should drop down to normal demand. Plus, people tend to overspend in the run up to the holidays then we see a frugal Jan/Feb for electronic devices (I mean in general of course).

Now, sometimes something becomes so hot, and supply constrained, during the holidays that demand continues at very high levels for a while after the holidays, but its very rare.

Demand for Kinect should almost definately drop.  If it doesn't, then Kinect will be really hot.  If it drops by normal percentages then all's still fine just Kinect is behaving in line with most electronics.

The question is will it be significant or not?  Depends on your view of what significant means.  Most electronics see a fairly big dip post holidays and that's considered normal.  I think given the launch right before the holidays it'll be a while before we can tell what significant means for Kinect and what is normal thought.

I disagree. The Rabbit seems to be the fastest selling device, thanks to the many women of the world. =P

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

kowenicki said:
Reasonable said:
Darth Tigris said:

It would be unheard of for a consumer electronics device to not slow a little after the holidays.  Think about it, you've got normal demand plus gift demand across the holidays - that's a huge spike normally particularly for consumer electronics.

After the holidays people buying it as a gift should disappear and it should drop down to normal demand. Plus, people tend to overspend in the run up to the holidays then we see a frugal Jan/Feb for electronic devices (I mean in general of course).

Now, sometimes something becomes so hot, and supply constrained, during the holidays that demand continues at very high levels for a while after the holidays, but its very rare.

Demand for Kinect should almost definately drop.  If it doesn't, then Kinect will be really hot.  If it drops by normal percentages then all's still fine just Kinect is behaving in line with most electronics.

The question is will it be significant or not?  Depends on your view of what significant means.  Most electronics see a fairly big dip post holidays and that's considered normal.  I think given the launch right before the holidays it'll be a while before we can tell what significant means for Kinect and what is normal thought.

it will drop for sure... no question

as you say the only question is by how much.

However, it seems clear it isnt going to simply stop after a while (as some very odd people have suggested)... it just doesnt have that feel to it.

I think outside US a standard drop is fairly likely... in US, after the numbers for 360/Kinect... it'll drop, but it might be less that I would have thought originally for a device with that price point.  I think it might hold some extra momentum in US for a while.