By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What will sell more Gran Turismo 5 or Mario Kart wii.

Mario Kart Wii

Just for the simple fact, it appeals to a wide spread of gamers and its on a cheaper and popular console, which is the Wii. So regardless Mario Kart Wii is going to thrash the hell out of Gran Turismo 5 sale.

Around the Network
jjseth said:
Yojimbo said:
Go go GT5 it must have long legs to outsell Mario Kart Wii and I think it will have it.

That's what I expect. Plus, GT5 won't be out until late 2008 (most likely early/mid 2009) and the user base will be much larger for the PS3 at that time then current levels. I predict that GT5 will sell 5 times the number of GT5 Prologue. Many PS3 owners love their racing games and early in a consoles life the hardcore gamers who love the driving sims will give it a great attach rate in comparison to how GT4 did on the PS2 when there were many casual gamers who got frustrated on games like that.

Excuse me but GT a sim? No way... it's way too unrealistic... if you want a racing sim go with Forza 2.

That's not to say that GT5 isn't a great racing game, just not a great sim. 

Mario Kart will sell more units.

Gran Turismo will have a higher attach ratio.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Mario Kart in the long run, I expect GT5 to be a huge release with Halo like sales figures. But a considerable drop off rate. MK will have legs!

mario Kart. Is the only reason I am buying a Wii as of right now.

Around the Network
gamingdevil said:
jjseth said:
Yojimbo said:
Go go GT5 it must have long legs to outsell Mario Kart Wii and I think it will have it.

That's what I expect. Plus, GT5 won't be out until late 2008 (most likely early/mid 2009) and the user base will be much larger for the PS3 at that time then current levels. I predict that GT5 will sell 5 times the number of GT5 Prologue. Many PS3 owners love their racing games and early in a consoles life the hardcore gamers who love the driving sims will give it a great attach rate in comparison to how GT4 did on the PS2 when there were many casual gamers who got frustrated on games like that.

Excuse me but GT a sim? No way... it's way too unrealistic... if you want a racing sim go with Forza 2.

That's not to say that GT5 isn't a great racing game, just not a great sim. 

GT unrealistic?   GT is the grand daddy of racing sims with the most realistic driving experience of any game out there.  Forza 2 is a great game ( i have it) , but it's no where near as good as the GT series has been.
Unless of course, it's the damage for the cars that has made it unrealistic for you.  Well, that will be taken care of in GT5.   The physics by Polyphany is hands down the best when it comes to any racing game out there and the GT series is the best racing sim out there.  

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

tokilamockingbrd said:
Why did GT4 sell so much less than GT3? Been wondering that I have them both and liked GT4 3x better... Is it possible that the popularity for GT is not what it used to be(8 million is still hecka popular)

My guess is the growing number of competition out there in the racing genre. In the old days you had GT >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> all the rest. GT made all the rest look like average at best.

Recently the gap is closing: Forza2, PGR4, Dirt, Motorstorm,  Burnout Paradise, NFS, etc... all decent to very good racers.

When GT4 came out there was already improved competition. And it also had to compete with the next gen racers on the xbox360 already.

tmbh said:
Mario Kart in the long run, I expect GT5 to be a huge release with Halo like sales figures. But a considerable drop off rate. MK will have legs!

GT in the past has had very good opening (1.2 million or around there) and has had legs.... maybe not MK legs, but very good legs.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

tmbh said:

GT in the past has had very good opening (1.2 million or around there) and has had legs.... maybe not MK legs, but very good legs.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

I'd put my money in GT5, but since we don't know when it's coming out, and what the PS3s install base will be (Since we don't know when it's coming out), I'd put my money on MK, because it has a solid release time. But if we don't get GT5 until this time next year, and the PS3 has picked up, I'd put my money on that.