By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Power preview Mario Kart Wii

Very short preview but enough to keep me happy! Some old news but who cares lol.. sorry if someone has already posted this.

Some details from the preview…

- Controls very smoothly
- Graphics: much greater visual detail than any other Mario Kart. character animations, rushing water, exploding fireballs
- Sound is great
- 16 brand new courses along with many previous ones.
- new items
- Performing stunts will earn you a sweet reward (doesn’t clarify what it is)
- Match-making process is much better with shortened times to get into a match.

Full Article: 

Some days just rock, like the day you get your driver's liscene or the day you win the lottery. For me, getting to test-drive Mario Kart for Wii was like combining both those events. Nintendo's president, Satoru Iwata, spilled a few beans in an early-October presentation. He excited Mario Kart fans by confirming that the game will include Nintendo Wi-fi connections for as many as 12 players , shortened times for matching up players online , intuitive steering-wheel control that will make it easier for novices to compete with veteran Karters, and the debut of motorcycles in the Mario Kart seris. The video clips that Nintendo showcased online also hinted at the ability to perform cool stunts, such as pulling a wheelie with a motorcycle or spinning your kart 360 in the air. I'm here to tell you that it's not just smoke and mirrors. Not only does executing a successful stunt look cool- you'll get a sweet reward when you do it (Sorry I can't be more specific-the version I played is still quite early, and lots may change between now and spring 2008.

As for the return of Kart must-haves, expect 16 brand-new courses and lots of familiar locations based on tracks from throughout the series, enhanced with new features, of course, and boasting much greater visual detail than in any previous Kart title . You'll sample this eye candy in the character animations and track elements such as rushing water or exploding fireballs. As for items expect some big newbies along with the tried-and-true Koopa shells, bananas, lightning bolts, and varieties of mushrooms. It's too early to comment on all the game modes, but in addition to Grand Prix circuits, a variety of engine classes, and the online multiplayer races, there are sure to be several more challenges . You can also expect a colorful variety of kart styles, as seen in our screenshots.

Maybe the biggest question I had before playing the game was how the motion-based control would handle sharp cornor and twisting course. I can sum up the answer with a single word-smoothly. As Mr. Iwata stated, driving a kart will feel perfectly natural to anyone who has ever used a steering wheel. You hold the Wii-mote in both hands with the buttons facing you (and that's how it'll fit into the steering-wheel accessory). Then you turn the wheel left or right. If you tilt it steeply, you'll make a sharp turn. A gentle dip will ease you to one side. Buttons control acceleration, braking, and item use . I was blown away by the game's elegance (even the sound was great), and there are several months of development yet to go. We'll reveal much more leading up to launch.

link: http://gonintendo.com/?p=31553#comments

My Opinion: Going to be the best Mario kart yet. At first i was very unsure about the motion control but nintendo power have said its pretty much flawless...well smooth to be the word of choice, and all the rest sounds good. I cant wait to see all the other new tracks.... exciting . I hope they reveal some new characters....  but i kinda want it to be a surprise so oh well lol. This is definately a must buy for me and obviously all you Wii owners. I hope we PAL owners get it before you NTSC as a Brawl substitute lol.

Wii Friendcode - 6327 2612 7683 5724

feel free to add me whenever (just PM me to let me know)

Around the Network

It will be huge

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Can't wait! Did it say if there happened to be a non motion controlled steering option?

BAM! There it is!

Wii Code 3456 7941 4060 2924
COD MW Reflex 541192229709
RolStoppable said:
One of my most anticipated games for 2008. Right after Fire Emblem X and Resident Evil 5 for Wii.

RE5 is 2009 and its not on the wii. mariokart will be awesome :)

RolStoppable said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
RolStoppable said:
One of my most anticipated games for 2008. Right after Fire Emblem X and Resident Evil 5 for Wii.

OkeyDokey, I accept 2009. But it will be on the Wii. Exclusively.

Mark my words. Kim Possible is awesome. 

absolutely outrageous! i bid farewell to you sir.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
RolStoppable said:

OkeyDokey, I accept 2009. But it will be on the Wii. Exclusively.

Mark my words. Kim Possible is awesome. 

Gotaa disagree Rol, Kim was lame, Ron, Rufus Wade, Yori, and Shego are awesome

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

radioioRobert said:
Can't wait! Did it say if there happened to be a non motion controlled steering option?

No they didnt but i expect some sort like the wiimote+nunchuk or classic controller (basically kinda like brawl with all the different options)

Wii Friendcode - 6327 2612 7683 5724

feel free to add me whenever (just PM me to let me know)

Dunno if re5 will be on the wii, but I bet Capcom, now wish like hell it was. They most likely put too much time and resources into it for high spec machines for them to scrap it. But having said that, they almost finished re4 and then scraped and started from scratch.

-UBISOFT BOYCOTT!-

Seems that Mario Kart will is in shaping up to be a really good and entertaining game!

Drools...

Currently playing: NSMB (Wii) 

Waiting for: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii), The Last Story (Wii), Golden Sun (DS), Portal 2 (Wii? or OSX), Metroid: Other M (Wii), 
... and of course Zelda (Wii)