By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Bill Clinton president again?

oldschoolfool said:

If your president obama your damed if you do and damed if you don't. lol

*fixed* poor guy lol

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
The Anarchyz said:
Kasz216 said:
The Anarchyz said:
Kasz216 said:

Also, why do people keep thinking Sarah Palin said she could see Russia from her house.

She never said that.

She said she could see Russia from Alaska.  Which is true... and was meant to mean that she's often had to deal with Russia on a state level.

Also likely true... I believe she's actually negotiated with Russia before and no doubt has been briefed on Russia's military capabilties.

It's like asking someone if they know good seafood and the response is "Well I do live right next to the Ocean."

People usually use the "Russia from her house" phrase precisely because of her saying she can see Russia from Alaska, Tina Fey took that line, added it more spice, and did the SNL bit with her as Palin and Amy Poelher as Hillary, so it became "And i can see Russia from my house".

This is not the complete clip, but it has the line.

No I know that's why.  Using that line just makes you look stupid though because you are essentially bashing them for nothing they've said and it makes you sound like your so ignroant you can't divide fantasy like SNL and the Daily show from reality.

Well, that's true, using that line seriously is not accurate at all from what she really said...

Now, talking about the actual line, it's true on some levels (like seeing Big Diomede from Little Diomede or seeing some mainland from high points), but the point about saying this was proving that Sarah Palin has experience on foreign affairs, and even if she could see the Kremlin from Alaska that doesn't give her expertise on the matter... 

I dunno if that's true.  Afterall, being that close to Russia, you'd have to assume she's had to deal with them on the state level. 

I believe Russia and Alaska have individual trade deals, and as the govenor you can bet is briefed whenever the russian's invade Alaska's airspace. (Or come close to it anyway.)

I bet the Govenor of Texas knows Mexico better then most politicians, and the Govenor of Florida knows cuba better then most politicians.  It's only natural that the leaders of border states would have a greater knowledge and recieve briefings about adjacent countries.

If she really had experience with Russia she would have said the experiences she had with russia, not simply saying you can see russia from 1 little tiny island in alaska.  Wouldn't that be a real answer to the question that she was asked?

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

johnsobas said:
Kasz216 said:
The Anarchyz said:
Kasz216 said:
The Anarchyz said:
Kasz216 said:

Also, why do people keep thinking Sarah Palin said she could see Russia from her house.

She never said that.

She said she could see Russia from Alaska.  Which is true... and was meant to mean that she's often had to deal with Russia on a state level.

Also likely true... I believe she's actually negotiated with Russia before and no doubt has been briefed on Russia's military capabilties.

It's like asking someone if they know good seafood and the response is "Well I do live right next to the Ocean."

People usually use the "Russia from her house" phrase precisely because of her saying she can see Russia from Alaska, Tina Fey took that line, added it more spice, and did the SNL bit with her as Palin and Amy Poelher as Hillary, so it became "And i can see Russia from my house".

This is not the complete clip, but it has the line.

No I know that's why.  Using that line just makes you look stupid though because you are essentially bashing them for nothing they've said and it makes you sound like your so ignroant you can't divide fantasy like SNL and the Daily show from reality.

Well, that's true, using that line seriously is not accurate at all from what she really said...

Now, talking about the actual line, it's true on some levels (like seeing Big Diomede from Little Diomede or seeing some mainland from high points), but the point about saying this was proving that Sarah Palin has experience on foreign affairs, and even if she could see the Kremlin from Alaska that doesn't give her expertise on the matter... 

I dunno if that's true.  Afterall, being that close to Russia, you'd have to assume she's had to deal with them on the state level. 

I believe Russia and Alaska have individual trade deals, and as the govenor you can bet is briefed whenever the russian's invade Alaska's airspace. (Or come close to it anyway.)

I bet the Govenor of Texas knows Mexico better then most politicians, and the Govenor of Florida knows cuba better then most politicians.  It's only natural that the leaders of border states would have a greater knowledge and recieve briefings about adjacent countries.

If she really had experience with Russia she would have said the experiences she had with russia, not simply saying you can see russia from 1 little tiny island in alaska.  Wouldn't that be a real answer to the question that she was asked?

Her response on if she had foreign policy expierence was "Well you can see Russia from Alaska."

This sounds roughly analgous to someome asking

"Can you fish" and your response being "Well, I can see Lake erie from my house."

Sounds like a pretty obvious "of course."

HappySqurriel said:

Back to the original topic ...

It is common for former presidents to be called "Mr President" but that isn't the real problem with the video. Whether it is fair or not, Obama has received criticism since before he was elected for receiving jobs he wasn't qualified for and letting someone else do the work; and the most prominent case before the election was on his time at the Harvard Law Review, and since the election people have been critical of him not promoting his agenda and leaving the work to the Democrat leadership. Now, I've seen former presidents have a press conference at the White House before, and I've seen former presidents defend the agenda of a sitting president before, but I have never seen a sitting president hand off a press conference at the White House to a former president to defend their own agenda. Regardless of whether it is true or not, this move gives off the impression that Obama isn't (or can't) do the job of being the President of the United States.

That's similar to my thoughts too (though in fairness it could have been the case that it wasn't planned to go this way and Clinton kind of "hijacked" the press conference).

One thing's for sure, segments of this video will end up in campaign advertisements for the 2012 election if Obama is a candidate then.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957