By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox 360 Kinect Bundles Outselling Move PS3 Bundles By More Than 5-to-1

Psyberius said:
silicon said:
Psyberius said:
BHR-3 said:

2 bundles vs 1

dont know why sony didnt release 349 160gb with move

i believe the whole move starter pack cost about $50 to manufacture

a ps3 320gb probably cost around the same as the 160gb i would guess thats like $280

so its more of a trick b/c people think there getting a console that cost $350 since the 320gb replaced the 250gb that were $350 months ago and there getting the move starter pack for another $50 instead of the stand alone price of $100

when in reality is just a trick by sony to profit more so there probably making a $70 profit on those $400 move console bundles compared to a $20 they would had they bundled it with the 160gb

so i guess i answered my own question

but it still doesnt make sense arent they not profiting much with the stand alone 160gbs? they wouldnt be losing any more had they bundled move with it for $349

Sales of the hardware profit wise are pointless to discuss...the real importance is getting your hardware in peoples hands so that they can buy your games....the profit is in the games/online presence(content), not the hardware.

No.  It's never pointless to discuss the profit of hardware.

It is when it revolves around console hardware, if the makers could produce $0 consoles in order to sell their software and make their investors happy, we'd all be sporting $0 consoles.

The money in games is online content and software, it is not in making $20 off of 500,000 console sales.

Err... what?

If you're going to bring investors into this then you know why it's important. If you're going to invest in a console you need to consider both the cost of developing the hardware as well as the software if you're going to think about profit model. In your profit model software sales may make the most money, but you can't act as though the hardware numbers dont exist.

There's also peripheral sales, which I think are really profitable.

Around the Network

I'm confused. If we take the most recent week's sales as an example 1/5th of PS3 sales is about 120K, 1/2 of 360 sales is about 360K. That's about a 3:1 ratio not a 5:1. If we are talking total Novemeber sales then 1/5th PS3 vs 1/2 360 is likely to be even closer than 1:3.

If Pachter is only talking North America / USA then it makes sense. So for the purposes of this site which is really focussed on global sales then the information is a bit misleading unless it's put in the proper context.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Sweet so I was quite right when I said I guessed KINECT was moving about half the 360's that are selling.

crissindahouse said:
Mordred11 said:

Kinect doing the way it should considering it's marketing.

Move doing the way it should considering it's marketing.

ENOUGH said.

where do you come from? did you see the move advertisement in europe? adverts every day in every freaking tv break for month now (in germany).

kinect advertising? not only one advert since launch!

maybe in usa its vice versa but in europe sony is doing a lot and microsoft is doing nothing to sell kinect. dont know about uk but in germany its crazy and i dont think move is selling ten times better here but they should if you talk about marketing.

THANKS. I am German as well. Move gets some serious marketing these days.

I saw ONE Kinect 'commercial'. Well you could win one Kinect for the Klitschko fight, but the fight got canceled and therefore I haven't seen a Kinect ad since.

2 out of 5 main-sponsorships belong to Sony (Bravia and Playstation)
Sony was the main sponsor for the Fifa World Cup 2010...

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

I feel like people argue Kinect and Move sales because really there aren't any good games for either. I honestly feel like I am the only one who sees this. (No I do not hate HD consoles, I am a PS360 fanboy)

Around the Network

i think dance central is a very good game and YSFE is a good fitness program

fps_d0minat0r said:

its fun watching trends in the casual market and betting how long something will remain popular or not.

i think by the end of the year casuals will realise kinect doesnt really have anything to offer.

Same has always been said about the wii as well. We will see, I think it will be a beast. Word of mouth seems to be getting around and anyone who tries kinect, likes it.   Thats what I've seen and it has hit off with the older crowd as well.  Almost all my family is interested in it since thanksgiving. 

Maybe the casuals will pick up some FPS's. LOL that would shake things up." AH ha ha shot your face, marsha can you get me my tennis bag." "RICH! Your going to be late for tennis practice." BOOOM! "HA I love this gears of wars game, ha ha haaa!

There is a lot of casuals. So the one's that already own it might get tired of it or maybe not, I still play mine but I'm far from casual. Like party games when people come over and thats hat kinect offers for me accept for a extra workout and some fun with the lady. 

Women love KINECT!  WOMEN HAVE SPENDING POWER, I KNOW, MY WALLET FEELS THE PAIN. ENOUGH SAID.

As for marketing.

In Poland I see Move TV ADs everyday and non for Kinect.

In Japan I dont watch much TV but at the stores Kinect let alone the Xbox get no love. If they are in a game store they are always relegated to a corner with hardly any display space.

binary solo said:

I'm confused. If we take the most recent week's sales as an example 1/5th of PS3 sales is about 120K, 1/2 of 360 sales is about 360K. That's about a 3:1 ratio not a 5:1. If we are talking total Novemeber sales then 1/5th PS3 vs 1/2 360 is likely to be even closer than 1:3.

If Pachter is only talking North America / USA then it makes sense. So for the purposes of this site which is really focussed on global sales then the information is a bit misleading unless it's put in the proper context.

Don't be confused.  The 5 to 1 comment doesn't actually fit the numbers quoted as being behind it - i.e. it's wrong according to the numbers, so far as I can see.

In US, I can see data that could argue 4 to 1 (still big whipping) but not 5 to 1 while worldwide it more like 3 to 1.

The 5 to 1 comment is US only for a specific period of time and it seems probable it's actually an inaccurate ratio or 'somewhat bizarrely' a rounded up ratio from just over 4 to 1 to 5 to 1.  Also, I'd note that the whole ratio is based on trying to guess unique Move purchasers vs Kinect from bundles, etc.  In terms of actual, physical units it's unlikely to be anything like that.

The reality is in NPD, US info there's never seen as any need to call out US only, and when people quote or use US only info they also don't.  I can understand when a US based org reports on US it doesn't feel the need to call it out - makes sense - but as you say as soon as the info is quoted generally in a worldwide context it would be helpful if that was called out.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...