By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So I finally finished Final Fantasy XIII...and I didn't really like it

the battle system is pretty much MS word's menu right now

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

Around the Network
Teo said:

Every Final Fantasy is linear to some extent, ffxiii was only a bit more. The real problem is the lack of little sidequests any where in the game as you progressed through the story line. In that sense, the only thing ffxii and VS have in common is the lack of towns. Which is why it is such a poor comparison when there are games closer to it (12 other final fantasies).

FF12 and VS share key factors in common - real time battle, art style, theme.

Back on topic, FF13 - the game, not the title - would have been viewed as the second coming of jesus christ were it considered a new IP. Its too bad people don't always have an open mind when they first listen to a new song, see a movie, or play a new game, because when they do everything changes and everything they believed before is no more.

What I don't really understand is how amazed people are people didn't like FF13. Remeber how only four years ago people were complaining about FF12 being too "vast and overwhelming?" This is #13 and we still haven't learned a thing. I would bet my car FF15 is going to get the same reception from another crowd and they will be just as loud.

Are you serious, i think if the name Final Fantasy wasnt on the front cover it wouldnt sell over a million copies, yet alone 6. the western audience accepted JRPGs with FF7, if FF7 never happened, this game would just be another JRPG that fades into the night, like many other RPGs have.

this is completely different, FF12 was a broken, game. the director left half way because he didnt want poor storytelling, and unrealistic characters like Vaan, (like FF13s cast) in the game. FF12, is simply a broken game, that was broken by a troubled development.

FF13, is specifically made this way so Square could reach the same success as FF7, thats the point of Fabula Nova Crystalsis. only the developers had no idea, that games are about gameplay, not about watching 6 hours of melodrama. (which some people compared to soap operas, but i wouldnt say that personally).

KillerMan said:
routsounmanman said:
Mummelmann said:

Easily my biggest disappointment this gen. I don't understand why people love the battle system, it is by far my most hated feature and a sign of where RPG's as a genre is headed (actionland).

I'm at the beginning/middle of chapter 11 but can't muster the energy to play any longer and haven't picked up the game in months to be honest.

This. This x100!!!

I hated this game's battle system with a passion. I don't get what's so wrong with traditional turn based play. The only ones whining about it are the CoD and GoW (God of War) "hardcorez" who don't buy these kinds of games anyway.

Ironically, most companies try to cater to their needs, alienating the JRPG fans. >_>

It's really shame that turn based combat system is pretty much dying away at least on home consoles. Lost Odyssey is still pretty much only turn based JRPG on HD consoles. Where are my turn based JRPGs. =( LO sold just fine considering that it's on X360.

just grab a DS (I would say a PSP as well, but your profile says you already have one), IMO its got all the best RPGs this gen.  Even excluding the remakes and ports, its still got the 2 Mario & Luigi games, Final Fantasy 4HoL, Final Fantasy Tactics A2, Dragon Quest IX, Both Dragon Quest Monsters Joker games, Golden Sun DD, all the Pokemon RPGs and loads more.

radha said:

the battle system is pretty much MS word's menu right now

It could actually be improved by adding the tutorial paperclip guy.

The only thing missing from FFXIII battle system to make it less RPG-like is the "Toasty!" guy from Mortal Kombat.

GameOver22 said:

You summed up my intended response perfectly. Saying that Ravager/Commando/Ravager sums up the battle system is a minimal explanation for the gameplay. If this type of minimal explanation was used for any game, I could make the game seem like a shallow, repetitive experience. Especially in some of the later battles, particularly the Cie'th missions, I would actually say it is necessary to use all of the different classes in the same battle and be proficient at switching back and forth between them very quickly depending on the situation. I also must say I completely agree with your final two sections(the edited part).

You know what, i'm going to concede this point, because you both seem to have enjoyed the battles. for me, however i liked the battles at times when we had 3 party members. but a lot of it boring for me, but i suppose it wasnt the fault of the battle system itself, it was just the awful story, characters etc, which made the battles monotonmous for me. but imo the battles were far too reptititive anyway, maybe if the game was a lot better, then i couldve appreciated them in a different way, but a game cannot depend on a battle system alone.

Around the Network
MrT-Tar said:
KillerMan said:
routsounmanman said:
Mummelmann said:

Easily my biggest disappointment this gen. I don't understand why people love the battle system, it is by far my most hated feature and a sign of where RPG's as a genre is headed (actionland).

I'm at the beginning/middle of chapter 11 but can't muster the energy to play any longer and haven't picked up the game in months to be honest.

This. This x100!!!

I hated this game's battle system with a passion. I don't get what's so wrong with traditional turn based play. The only ones whining about it are the CoD and GoW (God of War) "hardcorez" who don't buy these kinds of games anyway.

Ironically, most companies try to cater to their needs, alienating the JRPG fans. >_>

It's really shame that turn based combat system is pretty much dying away at least on home consoles. Lost Odyssey is still pretty much only turn based JRPG on HD consoles. Where are my turn based JRPGs. =( LO sold just fine considering that it's on X360.

just grab a DS (I would say a PSP as well, but your profile says you already have one), IMO its got all the best RPGs this gen.  Even excluding the remakes and ports, its still got the 2 Mario & Luigi games, Final Fantasy 4HoL, Final Fantasy Tactics A2, Dragon Quest IX, Both Dragon Quest Monsters Joker games, Golden Sun DD, all the Pokemon RPGs and loads more.

Yeah. I really need to start to go trough PSP library. DS also has of course awesome library of all kinds of Japanese games but somehow I really prefer JRPGs with 3D world and VA so I have yet to pick DS. I will probably buy 3DS so after that I can play trough the best turn based JRPGs on DS. Still some turn based JRPGs on home consoles would be neat also. =(

KillerMan said:
routsounmanman said:
Mummelmann said:

This. This x100!!!

But FFXIII is turn based because you can not move around in Real-Time.

and Star Ocean,Tales have always been Real-Time and I guess you hate Grandia and all all  Level 5 JRPGs except for DQVIII. 

Japanese Pop Culture Otaku

A203D said:
Teo said:

Every Final Fantasy is linear to some extent, ffxiii was only a bit more. The real problem is the lack of little sidequests any where in the game as you progressed through the story line. In that sense, the only thing ffxii and VS have in common is the lack of towns. Which is why it is such a poor comparison when there are games closer to it (12 other final fantasies).

Back on topic, FF13 - the game, not the title - would have been viewed as the second coming of jesus christ were it considered a new IP. Its too bad people don't always have an open mind when they first listen to a new song, see a movie, or play a new game, because when they do everything changes and everything they believed before is no more.

What I don't really understand is how amazed people are people didn't like FF13. Remeber how only four years ago people were complaining about FF12 being too "vast and overwhelming?" This is #13 and we still haven't learned a thing. I would bet my car FF15 is going to get the same reception from another crowd and they will be just as loud.

Are you serious, i think if the name Final Fantasy wasnt on the front cover it wouldnt sell over a million copies, yet alone 6. the western audience accepted JRPGs with FF7, if FF7 never happened, this game would just be another JRPG that fades into the night, like many other RPGs have.

this is completely different, FF12 was a broken, game. the director left half way because he didnt want poor storytelling, and unrealistic characters like Vaan, (like FF13s cast) in the game. FF12, is simply a broken game, that was broken by a troubled development.

FF13, is specifically made this way so Square could reach the same success as FF7, thats the point of Fabula Nova Crystalsis. only the developers had no idea, that games are about gameplay, not about watching 6 hours of melodrama. (which some people compared to soap operas, but i wouldnt say that personally).

You obvioulsy don't get what I'm even talking about. What does sales have to do with being critically acclaimed? Demons Souls, were it FF13, it would be "the worst FF ever" THIS IS A FACT.FF13 is nothing like other FFs and could pass for a new IP like FF10 and FF12.

I love how the rumors of FF12's development can simply become fact over the internet if someone just keeps repeating it.I prefer my "broken game" thank you very much, over what ever you think is a great game.

A203D said:
Teo said:

Don't make up your own truth and stat it as Real Facts Yasumi Matsuno left for heath resigns and nothing more. 

and I guess that mains you hate MGS4 to.

Teo said:
hikaruchan said:
Teo said:
hikaruchan said:

I am just going to say this for ALL the People who believe that Final Fantasy XIII is the "WORST GAME EVERS" if you liked Vagrant Story then you are Hypocrites.

Final Fantasy is Final Fantasy because it dose NOT conform to a set mold that is why every Final Fantasy is DIFFERENT from the last except for compilation pieces of cores.      

It's FF12 that is the perfect Vagrant Story 2 if it were to exist. FFXIII is nothing like it.

So Final Fantasy XII is as has no towns and is just as Linner as Vagrant Story now is it LOLZ.

any you failed to see my point every Final Fantasy is DIFFERENT there is no mold that Final Fantasy is made in that is the entire point about the Final Fantasy Games.

Great post but FFXIII to me is more of an Action RPG with a Turn Based Battle System and the FFVXIII is developing into a traditional FF with an Action RPG battle System.