By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - You want Tales of to be localized? Buy their other games first!!!

Since it's such a pain in the ass to localise Tales of why don't they let someone else do it? Argh.

Around the Network

Heres an idea.

Instead of spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on famous VAs, try to find NEW VA namco. You'll be surprised how many good voice actors there are who don't charge an arm and a leg for their work.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

There is one thing I don't get.The dubbing part.Do J-rpg/anime/Tales fans really prefer the english dub than the original?Even if some do prefer it I'm sure the majority doesn't.Plus as alekth mentioned if Atlus can so can NB.But why is not releasing it at all better than releasing it without eng dub?

For some reason this reminds me of Capcom's PC SSFIV thing.We won't release the game for the PC because of the piracy and we won't make it steam exclusive as well because that would be unfair to PC owners...Yeah makes sense!

I'm really tired about all these localisation things.Especially when Nintendo and Namco Bandai are mentioned.

Namco seems to be one of the fewest company which didn't get the need of selling their games in the western market, that is to say the biggest market.

They do not want to translate without voice actors, but we're encouraged to import Japanese versions ? Seriously ?

Well, I used to think that most people prefer original voices and subs, but I've heard plenty of people opposing. Personally I'm all for subs, but English isn't my native language anyway, and I've been watching anime since forever, when not much was getting localized, and the huge majority of the existing dubs were truly awful. So I'm used to subs. I'm still very much in favour of dual-language tracks, as long as there is room on the media.

However there are quite a few points in namco's replies that don't make much sense:

- Vesperia's voices are done to a large extent. Did MS actually finance so much that the rest of the voicing wouldn't be covered by all Western PS3 sales?
- It's not below Namco to cut corners in voicing anyway (Abyss skits, a whole part of Legendia unvoiced)
- as mentioned, there are more voice actors out there than a few big names
- why refuse other publishers? Quality cannot possibly be a problem, Atlus do great at JRPG localization. There is a certain loss of developer identity in some cases (e.g. a lot of people quoting Demon's Souls as an Atlus game). However Tales of games always have Tales of in the title. It's not a single game, and a publisher cannot kidnap the brand forever.

And anyway, how is me importing games going to encourage Namco localizing them more often. Especially since I've spent quite enough this gen on Namco's platform hops, and if they finally release in the West one of the games I imported, they certainly won't see me buying that edition as well just to show them my appreciation for finally throwing the West a bone after all the petitioning.

Around the Network
Zlejedi said:

Why should i spend hard earned cash on sub-par titles they released here only to hope they might some day release the game which i would be interested in ?

Well, what do you know... sounds just like the Wii's core games dilemma, eh?

OT: As alekth pointed out, I'm not buying it. ToV PS3 especially still doesn't fit with what the guy said. Whatever, their loss

wyvers said:

so if i'd want to lay a girl, i would have to lay her best friend first to show my interest in her? i see..

If her bestfriend is hot, pretty and sexy. I wouldn't mind.

Games4Fun said:

Why would people buy games they dont want just to have the chance to buy the games they do want? Screwed up buisness model.

This made my day... maybe sell it in ebay =]

@wyver      this way you can have both at the same time

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

"If you want Tales of Whateveria, buy Splatterhouse first!" Fuck Namco.

If they weren't a so-so company (on a very, very good day), they would take XSeed up on their offer to localize the shit for them.