By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - November NPD numbers released today

goldenpp72 said:
All I see is him questioning how npd or vgcharts may or may not be as reliabl as one or the other, that alone is enough to discredit the entire post. Which happens a lot on this site I find.

He was making fun of people who say that by using well-placed sarcasm. However, apparently even his little smilie face couldn't tip everyone off...

Around the Network

I don't see a wink smilie anywhere :p

Note: Some games in my collection are no longer owned, but have owned.

The smiley is there, but it shouldn't be necessary anyway... Oh well.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

How close is VGC to NPD usually, and do they make adjustments?

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

tokilamockingbrd said:
How close is VGC to NPD usually, and do they make adjustments?

Usually within 15%. There were some adjustments in the past, but nowadays vgchartz doesn't adjust to NPD. As far as I know, shipment numbers from financial reports are used for adjustments instead (taking into account that they're shipped to retailers, not sold to consumers of course).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

Not bad really, I am sure that VGC would like to be able to get it within the .05 alpha, but not bad.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

tokilamockingbrd said:
Not bad really, I am sure that VGC would like to be able to get it within the .05 alpha, but not bad.

It's really impossible for any tracking service without 80% retail sources to ever have less than 10% margin of error.  Even NPD isn't anywhere near this, and their numbers have in the past been far off of reported shipping numbers.  Media Create and Famitsu both hold about 60% retail data for Japan and yet disagree greatly on various things.  Being wtihin 15% is pretty good.  Past that VGC adjusts to official shipping reports and releases comparisons to NPD numbers.

Any update to the time frame?

naznatips said:
tokilamockingbrd said:

It's really impossible for any tracking service without 80% retail sources to ever have less than 10% margin of error. Even NPD isn't anywhere near this, and their numbers have in the past been far off of reported shipping numbers. Media Create and Famitsu both hold about 60% retail data for Japan and yet disagree greatly on various things. Being wtihin 15% is pretty good. Past that VGC adjusts to official shipping reports and releases comparisons to NPD numbers.

Media Create is holding over 90% of retail data, ChartTrack to, NPD ~ 65%

Orochimaru said:
naznatips said:
tokilamockingbrd said:

It's really impossible for any tracking service without 80% retail sources to ever have less than 10% margin of error. Even NPD isn't anywhere near this, and their numbers have in the past been far off of reported shipping numbers. Media Create and Famitsu both hold about 60% retail data for Japan and yet disagree greatly on various things. Being wtihin 15% is pretty good. Past that VGC adjusts to official shipping reports and releases comparisons to NPD numbers.

Media Create is holding over 90% of retail data, ChartTrack to, NPD ~ 65%

You are misinformed.  Media Create and Famitsu both operate on ~ 60% retail data.  NPD is somewhere between 60% and 65%.