By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - FIFA World Cup 2018 & 2022 host nations announced.

PS3beats360 said:
pizzahut451 said:
Kasz216 said:

Except... all the stats seem to show it hasn't... it doesn't help the countries economically and "smaller market" teams seem to shrink from the pressure rather then improve.

Heck, look at South Africa.  Anywhere else in the world... I think they preform better then they did.

Africa as a whole underperformed.  Everyone thought Africa would get a boost like Europeon and South American teams get, but in the end they cracked under the pressure and if anything played worse.

Having home field advantage in the cup only helps a team if the team has the swagger and belief they deserve to be there in the first place.  Otherwise they're just worried about surviving long enough to not embaress themselves.

You gotta be in it to win it.

1930 Uruguay host = Uruguay wom

1934 Italy host = Italy won

1966 England host = England won

1974 Germany host = Germany won

1978 Argentina host=Argentina won

1998 France host = France won

2002 South Korea host= South Korea 4th (their best achivment yet, i believe)

Theres your stats...

6 times the host nations have won the World Cup out of 18 World Cup events is a brilliant 33% winning percentage for the host nation. 

2  times the host nation has finished runner up at the World Cup they hosted. Quite a few times the host nation has finished third or fourth. 

There is a good chance the host nation will make it to a World Cup Semi-Final. 

I will take anyones bet who wants to bet that Qatar will make the World Cup Semi-Final.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
PS3beats360 said:
pizzahut451 said:
Kasz216 said:

Except... all the stats seem to show it hasn't... it doesn't help the countries economically and "smaller market" teams seem to shrink from the pressure rather then improve.

Heck, look at South Africa.  Anywhere else in the world... I think they preform better then they did.

Africa as a whole underperformed.  Everyone thought Africa would get a boost like Europeon and South American teams get, but in the end they cracked under the pressure and if anything played worse.

Having home field advantage in the cup only helps a team if the team has the swagger and belief they deserve to be there in the first place.  Otherwise they're just worried about surviving long enough to not embaress themselves.

Theres your stats...

6 times the host nations have won the World Cup out of 18 World Cup events is a brilliant 33% winning percentage for the host nation. 

2  times the host nation has finished runner up at the World Cup they hosted. Quite a few times the host nation has finished third or fourth. 

I will take anyones bet who wants to bet that Qatar will make the World Cup Semi-Final.

I'll take anyone's bet that Qatar get out of the group stages, I'll also give good odds on them failing to score a single goal.

JazzyJeez said:
Kasz216 said:
PS3beats360 said:
pizzahut451 said:
Kasz216 said:

Theres your stats...

I'll take anyone's bet that Qatar get out of the group stages, I'll also give good odds on them failing to score a single goal.

I'd maybe bet on them scoring a goal.  I could see the last stages of group, one team up 6-1 pulling all their first stringers deciding to let them score one because the next stage is already set   I could see a pity goal.

Then again i'm american and therefore not as cutthroat about the game.

Russia for 2018 is awesome... I won't need another language, a hotel, or money... also... Russia can put up a huge show... so hell yeah go Russia!

Kasz216 said:
JazzyJeez said:

I'd maybe bet on them scoring a goal.  I could see the last stages of group, one team up 6-1 pulling all their first stringers deciding to let them score one because the next stage is already set   I could see a pity goal.

Then again i'm american and therefore not as cutthroat about the game.

I'm only jesting, who knows what will happen in 12yrs, I can only judge their national team as it is now, they could be pumping money into the grassroots to reap the rewards in 12yrs, but I find it unlikely.

Around the Network

Only 3 nations have hosted the World Cup more than once:

Italy(1934 and 1990)

France(1938 and 1998)

Germany(1974 and 2006)

5 time World Cup winners Brazil will become the 4th second time host of the World Cup in 2014. Brazil lost as host in an epic WC final to Uruguay in 1950. 

PS3beats360 said:

Italy(1934 and 1990)

France(1938 and 1998)

Germany(1974 and 2006)

5 time World Cup winners Brazil will become the 4th second time host of the World Cup in 2014. Brazil lost as host in an epic WC final to Uruguay in 1950. 

You're wrong...

Mexico hosted it on 1970 and on 1986

So Brazil would be the fifth...

Laurel Aitken said:
PS3beats360 said:

Italy(1934 and 1990)

France(1938 and 1998)

Germany(1974 and 2006)

You're wrong...

Yep, originally in 1986 it was supposed to go to... I wanna say Colombia?

However Colombia (or whoever) had financial prblems... and then in the emergency bid system Mexico won.

Laurel Aitken said:
PS3beats360 said:

Italy(1934 and 1990)

France(1938 and 1998)

Germany(1974 and 2006)

You're wrong...

I forgot Mexico hosted the  WC twice. I remember 1970 the greatest WC of all time and the greatest Brazilian team of all time. 
I never knew Mexico hosted the WC in 1986, only 16 years after first hosting it. 

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/dec/09/qatar-2022-world-cup-neighbouring-countries