By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Gran Turismo 5 Review Summary

So after looking at a couple of the reviews, I think the general consensus is that as a simulator, it's the best one out there (at least for consoles). As a game however, it's lacking in some current gen features (online gameplay for example). I think Polyphony will eventually update some of the problems reviewers stated over time.

What are your impressions on the current reviews out for Gran Turismo 5?

Around the Network

Underrated.

All reviews wrote big words like "Best sim", "Perfect gameplay"... and give a 7-8 score.

Make no sense for me.

Seems to me like it was reviewed with a higher criteria than other racing games that have come out in the past couple of years. All I can say is I've spent more time with it than any other racer this generation; so that's gotta count for something. And yes I own a 360 too.

It's a beast, I can't stop playing it...so, see ya!

I had a silly grin when I hooked up my force feedback steering wheel to GT5.  Now if only I can get the head tracker to work.

Around the Network

The reviews raise some good points (although some are blatant nit-picking). The loading is slow, the graphics inconsistent and the interface, whilst nice looking, is cumbersome and needs some streamlining.

With that said, since release I've probably average around 6-7 hrs a day playtime and am still only lvl 21 A-spec and lvl 8 B-spec. That's a little under 56 hours put into this game. I've completed RPGs quicker. I've also probably put in more time than a lot of the earlier reviewers did, which says a lot about the state of video games journalism.

Worst.........LOADING............EVER!!!!!

Seriously, there are loads so long that I thought the game had locked up. 

EMULATION is the past.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

My impression is that reviews generally bring up points that are both valid and true and I understand their complaints. However, it seems like a lot of them have detracted a whole lot mostly because of rather the minor issues when they think the gameplay is world class and simply epic. Too much hype I guess.

I don't disagree with the reviews, I have played better games that GT5 but I can't say that I've played a better racer so I'm kind of torn. The idea of an 85 average score is fine by me but it also makes me scratch my head when I see utter tosh getting 9's and 10's sometimes (games like Crysis). There are way too many high scores this generation, I always end up disappointed when I try these highly acclaimed titles so I'm actually kind of glad that some have the audacity to treat a huge blockbuster with critical eyes, I just wish they would have done the same with a lot of other titles.

I would have given a score in the high to mid 80's myself to this title, I absolutely love this game! But it does have issues, not the glitches and minor flaws but sheer game design issues.

I think it got a lot of shit on a few little details that people chose to use for the scoring rather than the rest of the game. The only issue I really have with the game is the new leveling up system. Very annoying to have several nice used cars available for purchase as your first car but cannot because they are lvl 2.... Silly system that I am no fond of.

BTW Go Karts are alot of fun, and the VW Vans on the Top Gear track are slow as hell..... Haven't gotten into the NASCAR portion of the game yet though. I know most people focus on the number of cars when they think of how much the game has to offer, but in the variety of gameplay itself it also has alot to offer.

darklich13 said:

Worst.........LOADING............EVER!!!!!

Seriously, there are loads so long that I thought the game had locked up. 

Install it. Load times arent long at all?