By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - wiisports in top 10 million sellers

It all depends on the console/game combination.For example : GameBoy/Tetris & Wii/WiiSports should count, because those combinations were one of the main reasons for the following success of the hardware itself. Unlike most 360 budles(Kameo etc.),which in my opinion never really affected hardware sales.In other words : Wii sales would never be where they are now without WiiSports.XboX360 sales even without any gamebundles would be nearly the same as they are now.

Quality for Life

Around the Network

Atleast when Nintendo decides to bundle they do so with a good game-
If Microsoft does not stop this Forza/Marvel garbage soon we might have to look at them high up on the greatest sellers list... At least Wii sport actually has some relation to the sale of the console(most People want it) nobody would be buying those 2.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

It's at number 10 if you order by Others...

white devil said:
endurance said:
white devil said:
It's not a sale unless people can go in a store and say "I want to buy Wii Sports" and pay for it as a standalone game. It's bundled everywhere BUT Japan, this shouldn't count as 10 million sold.

even if it wasnt bundled it would of been really close to 10 million

That's an assumption though. Wii Sports in and of itself isn't that good of a game. If it retailed for the same price as other Wii games, whose to say that sales would have gone down significantly as other quality titles came out. On the flip side, if it retailed for a really low price or pulled a Wii Play and came with controller, sales might have been ridiculously high. Who knows? That's the reason why I don't like bundled games counting as a sale. You never know the factors that come into play and determine how something sells.

You lost me right about here. The game is ridiculously good for what it is. I have sold the Wii to at least 4 of my friends who do not game after 5 minutes of Wii Tennis. The other arguement for it being included is the list of the top selling games ever. Almost all of them were bundled, so you need to keep it to be consistent. It is either that, or use the attach rate from Japan to try and guess how many copies would be sold. That would unfairly favor the game because of the strong casual game market in Japan, but it is the closest thing to objective we have.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

People who don't want to count bundles are just mad because Nintendo is the only company with great bundle ideas that sell through the roof, and the stratosphere, and the ionosphere, etc. etc...

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Schwarz said:
It all depends on the console/game combination.For example : GameBoy/Tetris & Wii/WiiSports should count, because those combinations were one of the main reasons for the following success of the hardware itself. Unlike most 360 budles(Kameo etc.),which in my opinion never really affected hardware sales.In other words : Wii sales would never be where they are now without WiiSports.XboX360 sales even without any gamebundles would be nearly the same as they are now.

Good point. Bundled games that were important to the success of the system itself, definitely deserve to hold the position they are in on the million sellers list. There shouldn't be a debate about these games.

NES/Super Mario Bros. is another good example. I wanted the system because of this game and I think many others felt the same way.

EDIT: I am not saying that other bundled games should be taken off the list. I have no problems with them being on the list. It's just the constant "Wii Sports shouldn't be counted because it's no real software sale" debates that annoy me.

Sorry but NO.

Your point of view might be valid in a subjective way. But the base of tie ratio and the concept of "units sold" is economical data. It's all about money spent. Revenue.

If you don't pay specifically for a game, (which isen't the case in bundles), then there is no reason to include it. In a count. How can you put on the same level the Wiisport included in the Wii (US & EU) and the Wiisport sold in japan. They do not generate the same revenues (and same goes for the Forza/MUA/Motorstorm things).

If it was a matter of "how much ppl liked the game", then you would be right, and I would even go further : you would have to take in account the second hand market to get accurate picture of the "most loved games".

But that's not what "units SOLD" are about.

fkusumot said:
white devil said:
It's not a sale unless people can go in a store and say "I want to buy Wii Sports" and pay for it as a standalone game. It's bundled everywhere BUT Japan, this shouldn't count as 10 million sold.

Actually, the console is bundled with the game, not the other way around.

Well I'll be damned, it's the truth.  Lock this thread.  fkusumot won this round.

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

Cryoakira said:
RolStoppable said:
Schwarz said:

Good point. Bundled games that were important to the success of the system itself, definitely deserve to hold the position they are in on the million sellers list. There shouldn't be a debate about these games.

NES/Super Mario Bros. is another good example. I wanted the system because of this game and I think many others felt the same way.

EDIT: I am not saying that other bundled games should be taken off the list. I have no problems with them being on the list. It's just the constant "Wii Sports shouldn't be counted because it's no real software sale" debates that annoy me.

Sorry but NO.

Your point of view might be valid in a subjective way. But the base of tie ratio and the concept of "units sold" is economical data. It's all about money spent. Revenue.

If you don't pay specifically for a game, (which isen't the case in bundles), then there is no reason to include it. In a count. How can you put on the same level the Wiisport included in the Wii (US & EU) and the Wiisport sold in japan. They do not generate the same revenues (and same goes for the Forza/MUA/Motorstorm things).

If it was a matter of "how much ppl liked the game", then you would be right, and I would even go further : you would have to take in account the second hand market to get accurate picture of the "most loved games".

I understand bundles should be adjusted or taken out of certain questions, for instance with attach ratio Wii sports should be adjusted to account for it (but not taken out entirely)

I am not sure what the original poster thinks about what the top ten list means..... but it is clear you, and other posters, think it is something that it isn't...... it is just a list of the top ten most owned/purchased games, and has nothing to do with which of the consumers would have bought the game despite the bundle or whatever.
If that many people own the game, then it should be on that list because it is not about whether games are bundled or not..... the game is in fact SOLD irrespective of whether the consumer had a choice in the matter.

Please, no more arguments about bundles in the million sellers list, because that has absolutely NOTHING to do with it.

gahhh! i think i have ranted about this in 2 or 3 differnet threads... however a new point i have just thought of is what about store bundles when supply is limited like the Wii currently, here in the UK you would be incredibly lucky to find a Wii in a store without it being £400 because they pack 6 games in with it, people are buying them because it is the best way to get a Wii, yet i would guess few of them want any of the awful games that come with it.

Also i believe i predicted a long time ago (in one of, if not the first threads to be made about the top million sellers list) that Nintendogs would be the first to enter the top ten, but would be pushed out again by Wii sports, and finally entering the top ten again when it passes The Sims

Cryoakira said:
RolStoppable said:
Schwarz said:

Sorry but NO.

if it were strictly about revenue then should we readjust all game sales into fractions of a unit when, as they get older, they sell for a lower price?  Should all handheld games only count as a fraction of a game since they are always cheaper than consols?  hellz no.

bundled or no money is being made, how that money is distributed between consol/game is a moot point,  the customer has the game.  how much revenue the game made is a moot point, not all games sell for the same anyways.