By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Move vs Kinect- Shipped vs. Sold

Why is there no qoute function on new post on this board? Story in italics instead since there is no qoute function.

http://worthplaying.com/article/2010/11/30/editorials/78555/

"Shipped" is not the same as "Sold."

When Microsoft announced that it sold through 2.5 million units, company spokespeople were very clear that number represented actual, retail sales. Those aren't units that are sitting on store shelves or in a warehouse somewhere. Every single one of those 2.5 million Kinect units was purchased by a consumer.

Sony on the other hand announced that it had shipped 4.1 million units to retailers. The company has not disclosed how many of those 4.1 million were actually bought by consumers. There is no way for anyone outside of Sony to know if those units are simply sitting on retailer shelves collecting dust, or if consumers are lining up to buy them.

So why didn't Sony simply announce the number of units sold?

No one really knows the answer to that outside of Sony, but it does beg the question, if Move really was outselling Kinect, why wouldn't Sony want to highlight that fact?

Instead of giving us actual numbers, Sony issued a press release which merely highlights how adept the company is at producing Move units. It says nothing to the question of how well they actually sell.

Microsoft on the other hand, laid bare its actual sales numbers without any pretense.

While it is impossible to do a direct sales comparison between the two announcements, one thing is certain -- Microsoft's position shows that the company has much more confidence in Kinect than Sony does in Move.

Sometimes what a company chooses not to say can be just as telling as what it does say.

Around the Network

Well, if Sony reported 2.5m shipped last month and 4.1m shipped this month, you can be confident they would have sold most of their last shipment already. So although they may not have as impressive numbers as kinect, I doubt their sell through is anything less than 2.5m

One of our users in this site, jezze_jamez, supplied us with a quote that shed a little more light in the matter:

"'While we don't disclose our exact sell-through number, the key is that our retailers continue to ask for more Move units and are taking every unit we can supply them with based on their sales,' a Sony Computer Entertainment spokesperson told CNET."

from http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20024165-17.html

So my personal response to jezze_jamez was:

"So it's obvious that the retailers see that there is a demand, and SONY is trying to supply them. Thanks for the link. It's good to know that the Move is doing rather well."

But why jezze_jamez deleted his post which sipplied the link I don't know since it was very helpful.

An edit: I just noticed that jezze_jamez was banned.  Maybe it has something to do with his post being deleted.  Sorry.

*awaits funny comments*

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

snfr said:

*awaits funny comments*

Getting Psyched!!!

Around the Network
snfr said:

*awaits funny comments*

This was fair.  Sure, it doesn't paint Sony in the best light, but there is no bias in this reporting.  It's just looking at the facts and deciphering what they tell us.

Shipped are the most accurate numbers.

No way can MS track it down to a tee , they have  estimated alot to come up with there 2.5 number.

snfr said:

*awaits funny comments*

Too much pressure now.... I'm out... maybe badgenome or d21lewis can make one...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

NiKKoM said:

Too much pressure now.... I'm out... maybe badgenome or d21lewis can make one...

I hope so, but probably won't happen

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3