By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Mike Pachter: Move and Kinect are neck a neck in actual consumer sales

http://www.videogamer.com/news/pachter_move_sales_closer_to_2_5_million.html

Sony has sold around 2.5 million PlayStation Move units, Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter has told Eurogamer.

That's around 1.5 million units less than the reported 4.1 million units sold which Sony announced yesterday, a figure which actually represented units shipped.

The figure puts Sony's motion controller neck and neck with Microsoft's Kinect for Xbox 360, albeit over the longer period on the market.

"I understand that they sold through around one million through the end of October (tracking NPD results and extrapolating for Europe), and it's reasonable that with the Japanese launch they have sold through another 1.5 million in November, but I'd peg the sell through number at closer to 2.5 million, or exactly on par with Kinect," said Pachter.

Around the Network

Cool story bro.

Why leave out the other half of the article?

Though currently level with Kinect sales, PS Move could find itself at a significant disadvantage by the year end. Microsoft maintains it will sell five million Kinect units to customers by the close of the holiday season, a total which appears some way beyond the reach of PlayStation Move.

From a publisher/developer standpoint it's also worth considering that whereas each Kinect sold represents a unique and potential consumer to sell games to, Sony has said that Move customers are buying more than one controller, meaning the installed base is less than the number of units sold.

Neato. I wonder how he'll contradict himself a week from now.

badgenome said:

Neato. I wonder how he'll contradict himself a week from now.

LOL!

OT: sigh patcher again......

Around the Network

These numbers are all very vauge, the true numbers that matter to devs is install base. Don't we have Kinect outselling move install base 2:1 by end of year? In less time, more expensive product .. damn impressive!

Seece said:

These numbers are all very vauge, the true numbers that matter to devs is install base. Don't we have Kinect outselling move install base 2:1 by end of year? In less time, more expensive product .. damn impressive!

And also expected.  Their marketing blitz almost ensured this alone.  I actually thought the fact that Move is still ahead/close was the more impressive feat. If they mean shipped I bet Sony is higher than 2.5.  Anyway, I still question his knowledge of the situation, he seems to contradict himself every other week and just comes out with an I'm sorry.  Kind of irritating actually. 

wait, weren't those sales also manufactured by Sony and MS??

Edit: sorry drunk again, forgot he's Pachter

Wasn't it just a month ago that he said Kinect wouldn't be able to sell as many units as Move... and now he's saying that Move has sold far less than everyone's saying?

I haven't seem something legitimate or logical come out of this man's mouth in ages.

Both of these devices have no games. So why anyone would buy them is a mystery.

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype