By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - We all have been gamers for so long right, but where did it REALLY start?

My dad was a casual gamer at the time. He had an NES with a bunch of good games, even Gradius! Sadly, he didn't have The Legend of Zelda, but I remember we rented it quite a few times (and Zelda II: Adventure of Link). When I got The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past for a birthday gift one day though, that's when it really all started. And then a shitload of other great games came by like Donkey Kong Country, Star Fox, Aladdin (I prefer this version to the Genesis one), etc. The SNES was a great console.

One day, my dad had to quit his job for some personal reason and he started to take some computer courses and all. So we finally got our first computer when I was around 6 (old Compaq Presario). I started playing some good old DOS games, and the one I remember the most is Little Big Adventure. That game was great! A few years later we got a better computer and that's when I got introduced to Command & Conquer: Red Alert (my parents would say it was a bit violent for my age, haha) and roms and emulators. I remember I would transfer roms on floppy disks and create a box collection of the greatest ones I could find!

Good times, good times...!

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

Around the Network
leatherhat said:
Euphoria14 said:
leatherhat said:

Megaman 3 as well, basically any nes or genesis games my 2-6 year old self could scrounge up

I used to spend countless hours on Tiger-Heli, Ninja Gaiden and don't ask why, but The Three Stooges.

Because they're hilarious- obviously

I think it was just that something about tossing pies and running wild in a hospital to raise money for an orphanage caught my attention.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Euphoria14 said:
Shadowblind said:

With the greatest game ever made.

IDDQD b*tches

Correct me if I am wrong, but that is the God Code right?

Foolish knave. Of course it is.

It makes the invincible doom guy even more invincible. Now instead of simply being able to carry 300 lbs and of equipment and still run 57 mph, he can do it over green acid that would melt the feeble limbs off of any lesser man. Which is everyone.

The original Chuck Norris of gaming!

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

SHMUPGurus said:

My dad was a casual gamer at the time. He had an NES with a bunch of good games, even Gradius! Sadly, he didn't have The Legend of Zelda, but I remember we rented it quite a few times (and Zelda II: Adventure of Link). When I got The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past for a birthday gift one day though, that's when it really all started. And then a shitload of other great games came by like Donkey Kong Country, Star Fox, Aladdin (I prefer this version to the Genesis one), etc. The SNES was a great console.

One day, my dad had to quit his job for some personal reason and he started to take some computer courses and all. So we finally got our first computer when I was around 6 (old Compaq Presario). I started playing some good old DOS games, and the one I remember the most is Little Big Adventure. That game was great! A few years later we got a better computer and that's when I got introduced to Command & Conquer: Red Alert (my parents would say it was a bit violent for my age, haha) and roms and emulators. I remember I would transfer roms on floppy disks and create a box collection of the greatest ones I could find!

Red Alert! My god, I remember staying at my friend's house until like 2am just playing it or watching him play. That game was absolutely ace. I still have yet to enjoy a C&C game in the same way I enjoyed Red Alert.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Euphoria14 said:
leatherhat said:
Euphoria14 said:
leatherhat said:

Megaman 3 as well, basically any nes or genesis games my 2-6 year old self could scrounge up

I used to spend countless hours on Tiger-Heli, Ninja Gaiden and don't ask why, but The Three Stooges.

Because they're hilarious- obviously

I think it was just that something about tossing pies and running wild in a hospital to raise money for an orphanage caught my attention.

You would have a problem if that didn't catch your attention

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:
SHMUPGurus said:

Red Alert! My god, I remember staying at my friend's house until like 2am just playing it or watching him play. That game was absolutely ace. I still have yet to enjoy a C&C game in the same way I enjoyed Red Alert.

Yep, RA was a good series for C&C. Also, one of the greatest cutscenes ever:

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

The original Dizzy game on the ZX Spectrum is what got me into gaming. I still go on yolkfolk.com pretty regular as well to check out some of the fan made Dizzy games.

Shadowblind said:
Euphoria14 said:
Shadowblind said:

IDDQD b*tches

It makes the invincible doom guy even more invincible. Now instead of simply being able to carry 300 lbs and of equipment and still run 57 mph, he can do it over green acid that would melt the feeble limbs off of any lesser man. Which is everyone.

I was sure it was but not 100%, although Doom is the reason I originally discovered the internet!!! Doom 2 to be specific.

I had an old disc filled with like 120 shareware titles (Demos). Games like Doom, Barney Doom, Commander Keen, Epic Pinball, Duke Nukem, Stick Fighter, etc...

Anyways, with Doom II they had an online component that I wanted to try out but I didn't have internet. I was about 7-8 at the time I would say, maybe a year or so older, but I snatched my mom's credit card and signed up for America Online, back when they charged you per hour.

I started playing online and thought it was the greatest thing ever, until of course my mom got a HUMONGOUS AOL bill. She immediately knew it me and went ballistic, but we kept AOL. 

I will always remember Doom II for that reason.

Currently playing:

Euphoria14 said:
Shadowblind said:
Euphoria14 said:
Shadowblind said:

IDDQD b*tches

I was sure it was but not 100%, although Doom is the reason I originally discovered the internet!!! Doom 2 to be specific.

I had an old disc filled with like 120 shareware titles (Demos). Games like Doom, Barney Doom, Commander Keen, Epic Pinball, Duke Nukem, Stick Fighter, etc...

Anyways, with Doom II they had an online component that I wanted to try out but I didn't have internet. I was about 7-8 at the time I would say, maybe a year or so older, but I snatched my mom's credit card and signed up for America Online, back when they charged you per hour.

I started playing online and thought it was the greatest thing ever, until of course my mom got a HUMONGOUS AOL bill. She immediately knew it me and went ballistic, but we kept AOL. 

I will always remember Doom II for that reason.

Oh man. I remember those pay-per-hour subscription fees. They make Xbox Live look like a deal from heaven.

I still remember Mythic Games charging me 6 fracking dollars per hour that I played Splatterball online. Six. Fracking. Dolores.

Those were dark times

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

Euphoria14 said:

@ leatherhat

I always try so hard to get in Shining Force and hopefully one day it works. I am currently trying to play through Suikoden II on my phone.

@ Xen

I have never gone by score, with the main reason being that as a kid I would always read EGM or GamePro and only cared out flipping to the back of the magazine to read the RPG section. I remember going nuts when I saw pis of FFIX with Bahamut vs. Alexander thinking it was going to be the greatest thing ever. Then it would get like a 9 or above and after playing it and loving the card game (Triple Triad in FFVIII being my favorite) and everything else I knew it was the best game of the year, but they would never win.

From then on I just never really put any stock in review scores as 9 times out 10 they never lined up with my line of thinking, and I honestly feel that holds true with most people here, even if they don't realize it yet.

Dude, game high score, not review score :P