By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Move Sells Over 4.1 Million Units

OK, the confusion is end.

According to IGN, KINECT is sold to consumers 2.5M in 25 days.

According to so many updates, MOVE is sold to retailers 4.1M till now.

Both are great numbers. Stop fighting, fanboys.

Around the Network
zhao3gold said:

OK, the confusion is end.

According to IGN, KINECT is sold to consumers 2.5M in 25 days.

According to so many updates, MOVE is sold to retailers 4.1M till now.

Both are great numbers. Stop fighting, fanboys.

Very good.  There was absolutely no need to bring Kinect numbers in the fashion it was represented in to this thread.  Both are selling well so all is good.

Kinect will dies soon, it has no games. What future games are coming to Kinect? As for move, Sorcery, LBP2, KZ3, Socom4, etc....

Frank_kc said:

Kinect will dies soon, it has no games. What future games are coming to Kinect? As for move, Sorcery, LBP2, KZ3, Socom4, etc....

I don't think you paid attention to TGS 2010 MS Keynote.

gameonbro said:
zgamer5 said:
Nsanity said:

Update: There seems to be some confusion as to whether this figure represents the number of Moves actually purchased by consumers or sold to retailers. Though the U.S. press release revealing the sales posted after the jump explicitly says "sold," the Japanese press release mentions "the quantity delivered to the dealer" in a footnote. We've contacted Sony for clarification.

Update 2: A Sony representative explained that the 4.1 million actually represents Move units shipped to stores, adding "While we don't disclose our exact sell-through number, the key is that our retailers continue to ask for more Move units and are taking every unit we can supply them with based on their sales." Which, you know, would have been a cool thing to put in that press release, we think.

no shit sony always reports shipped numbers just like everyone else.

the difference microsoft said sold to customers with the 2.5 million

im talking in general sony and ms say shipped numbers.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

Around the Network
Darth Tigris said:
Torillian said:
Darth Tigris said:
Torillian said:
Darth Tigris said:

I still don't see how anyone can be comfortable with how Sony is reporting sales for Move.  Well, unless you really are a hardcore fanboy that doesn't value sustainable success.

you mean how they're reporting shipped or how they aren't giving us a clear idea of the userbase?

Exactly.

Well I don't really see how you can expect different since reporting shipped numbers is absolutely the norm in the game industry.  Whenever we get any numbers from the big three we assume that they're shipped until told otherwise, I don't see why you would expect this to be different.

Microsoft announced "sold through to consumers" numbers for Kinect.  My hope was that Sony would do the same in response but they chose not to.  Why?  Likely because Move's shipped numbers are so much higher than Kinect's sold numbers.  I don't like that.

If your competition gives a measurable number, you should give one that is comparable.

If you think Microsoft numbers are sold through to consumers you are deluding yourself, these companies simply don't know how much the retails have sold, they only know they're shipped numbers, if the number was confirmed as sold through that just means the shipped/sold are close enough to get away with, or MS just guessed how many were sold through

Frank_kc said:

oh please..:P, there are already two people banned in this thread..., you wanna be the third..?!?

kinect dont need games it has hackers lol...

watch when kinect capable websites show up.  mac users, ps3 owners, pc users, linux,  with zero interest in xbox will buy kinect  and already doing it.  those hackers are doing more for kinect than ms

nightsurge said:
Hapimeses said:
nightsurge said:
Cunning_Linguist said:
ethomaz said:

I just read now...

This number is a cumulative number since its release date until November 2010, which does not include sales of stand-alone PlayStation Eye cameras or stand-alone PlayStation Move navigation controllers. That certainly puts those figures into perspective then.

Just bundled Moves??? Just Started Kits??? 4.1m shipped (or sales?) Started Kits in the world???

It's not just GREAT. It's AMAZING.

Way better than I expected.

I read that as bundles and individual move wands

This.  He said no NAVIGATION controller or PS EYE stand-alones were counted, but still every PS Move stand-alone controller and PS Move bundle was counted.  Considering every person who buys the Move will need at least one more PS Move stand-alone controller and up to 3 more, it really makes it pretty hard to interpret.

Nonsense. Sure, some will want more, but not, necessarily, need more. I know two people very happy with just one Move controller (neither is me; I bought two). Don't dilute your very good point (that the numbers are bloody hard to interpret) with untrue statements.

While it is true you can get by with just one for a while, to get the full experience of some games you will need at least 2 Move controllers which is what I meant.  I didn't meant to imply that everyone would feel they needed to buy that second controller as not everyone will feel they need that full dual-Move experience and some will be content with just one Move.

It's only been two months and the controller supply seems pretty contained I'm sure alot of people will picked up a second eventually but I don't believe they all have already, I think the best way to track psmove numbers is just track pseye and make a guess to how many only have a pseye, the margin for error would be much lower 

Why does Sony only want us to know what they shipped to retail instead of sold to consumers?