By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Possible for PS3 to be 4th on GT5s launch week?

Possible for PS3 to be 4th on GT5s launch week?

You're crazzzy! 125 32.13%

Yup DS>Wii>360>PS3 166 42.67%

I have no idea 26 6.68%

I want to see results! 72 18.51%

Total:389
BenVTrigger said:

Really over pricing pre-owned games?  This is the most hilarious argument we here all the time.  The problem is that gamers apparently don't know anything about how you run a business.  You do realize we have to make a profit correct?  You also do realize that we buy more games from customers than we sell back to customers at over a 2:1 ratio correct?  That means that for every one game we sell back to another customer there's another one we bought off someone that is just sitting back in the stock room or warehouses that is just lost money.  On top of that you have to factor in not every dollar of a resale goes to straight OMGZ GUYZ GAMESTOP PROFIT! LETS SCREW GAMERS! We also have to pay the expenses of our over 5,000 stores and thousand upon thousands of employees.  Not to mention money that we pay to Nintendo, Sony, EA, Activision, etc for other promotional deals.  

Are there going to be some problems?  Of course any time you factor in the human element there will stuff that slips through the cracks but the hate we get at Gamestop is straight up laughable.  I personally manage and know several hundred employee's and I can tell you right now nearly every one of them loves games and gaming in general just as much as anyone else on these forums and quite frankly its not cool the way they get disrespected.

Anyways I won't take up anymore of this space going off topic.

1.) I know Gamestop is a business, but it still doesn't change the fact that you guys screw people over when buying and selling games. You buy a game for 59.99 on launch and the next day they'll give you 25 bucks? WTF is that shit? Also you see used games in Gamestop going for higher than it would cost you to buy it for new at places like Walmart, Amazon, and eBay. (NEW, not USED)

2.) Your store isn't Gamestop as a whole. Half the people I have seen who work there don't give a rats ass about gaming or know anything about it. Like the person I went I talked to about Final Fantasy XIV. She told me it didn't exist and that I should get WoW instead because other people buy it. WTF is that?

Side Note: I will not buy games from Gamestop anymore UNLESS it is on launch date simply because of that USED Game New sticker shit. That is not right and I hope they get sued. Also I have heard by several managers that employees get to take home games and return them/repackage/and sell.

Around the Network
richardhutnik said:
Wagram said:
BenVTrigger said:
Wagram said:

I actually helped a woman buy a PS3 today at my local Gamestop. I pissed the sales clerk off bad. He was trying to sell her a used 60GB PS3 for like 350 bucks. She wanted backwards compatability but I talked her into a new PS3 for 299.99. I could never work at Gamestop, that business is horrible.

Really Gamestop is horrible?  I'm a district manager for Gamestop and I can tell you straight up we are far from horrible.

I have just had bad experience with that business for a very long time. Ranging from over pricing used games. Trying to sell used games as new ones. A new sticker with a scratched game IS NOT NEW. How can you sell a USED 60GB PS3 for 300-350 dollars? Hopefully you are an exception.

How?  Because, outside of harddrive size, it is superior to the newer PS3 models that have less features, particularly a lack of backwards compatibility.  Like, how many USB ports does the newer PS3 model have?  My 60GB model has 4.  With that, I can hook up Move, a USB keyboard, and have room for two controllers. 

Anyhow, I would speak about your comments about Gamestop in general.  They are what they are.  They managed to be able to sell videogames and specialize in that area being able to be operated by fanboys the way that McDonalds is able to be operated by teenagers.

I'm not stating that it is wrong to buy the Backwards compatible PS3. I'm just saying when you see a new 160GB PS3 for 299.99 and you have a store trying to sell you a USED PS3 that you can get on eBay for NEW at around the same price. Why would you waste your money. The woman agreed with me obviously as she bought the new one for $299.99

I own a backwards compatible PS3 btw.

ANYWAYS: If you guys would like to discuss this further, put it on my wall so we don't derail this thread. :)

Could inch past the 360 because of Japan, but I don't think it'll pass the Wii. It would need an unprecedented rise.

Wagram said:
BenVTrigger said:

Really over pricing pre-owned games?  This is the most hilarious argument we here all the time.  The problem is that gamers apparently don't know anything about how you run a business.  You do realize we have to make a profit correct?  You also do realize that we buy more games from customers than we sell back to customers at over a 2:1 ratio correct?  That means that for every one game we sell back to another customer there's another one we bought off someone that is just sitting back in the stock room or warehouses that is just lost money.  On top of that you have to factor in not every dollar of a resale goes to straight OMGZ GUYZ GAMESTOP PROFIT! LETS SCREW GAMERS! We also have to pay the expenses of our over 5,000 stores and thousand upon thousands of employees.  Not to mention money that we pay to Nintendo, Sony, EA, Activision, etc for other promotional deals.  

Are there going to be some problems?  Of course any time you factor in the human element there will stuff that slips through the cracks but the hate we get at Gamestop is straight up laughable.  I personally manage and know several hundred employee's and I can tell you right now nearly every one of them loves games and gaming in general just as much as anyone else on these forums and quite frankly its not cool the way they get disrespected.

Anyways I won't take up anymore of this space going off topic.

1.) I know Gamestop is a business, but it still doesn't change the fact that you guys screw people over when buying games. You buy a game for 59.99 on launch and the next day they'll give you 25 bucks? WTF is that shit? Also you see used games in Gamestop going for higher than it would cost you to buy it for new at places like Walmart, Amazon, and eBay. (NEW, not USED)

2.) Your store isn't Gamestop as a whole. Half the people I have seen who work there don't give a rats ass about gaming or know anything about it. Like the person I went I talked to about Final Fantasy XIV. She told me it didn't exist and that I should get WoW instead because other people buy it. WTF is that?

I don't manage a store.  I manage 23 stores.  Gamers should be thankful they are even offered an opportunity to trade in their games for store credit.  You don't like our prices sell em to your friends.  That easy.  I have no problem with that at all.  The fact is however we take significant risk in what we do and try to help gamers experience.  You say how its ridiculous that we take a new game back for 25 bucks but you wouldn't think that at all if you went into one of the backrooms of my stores and saw the pile of 50 God of War 3 games all bought back from customers for 25 dollars a piece and aren't going anywhere.  We aren't a Mom and Pop shop, we are the single largest retailer specialized in gaming on the planet and when we are talking price points we aren't discussing the difference between 25 dollars and 60 dollars.  We are discussing the difference between 25 million and 75 million dollars.

I'd say it's a bit more than possible. Honestly, I don't think it's even going to be really close. I get the impression that a lot of people are overestimating 360's advantage over the PS3 in North American sales for Black Friday. I predict the PS3's advantage in Japan sales due to GT5's launch will be about even to 360's advantage in America due to Black Friday. Then you have Europe will will heavily favor PS3 as well being the biggest region for Gran Turismo games.

If I were going to make a bold predition, I'd say that the gap between Wii and PS3 will be less than twice as wide as the gap between PS3 and 360. Essentially Wii>>>>>PS3>>>360

Around the Network
richardhutnik said:

How?  Because, outside of harddrive size, it is superior to the newer PS3 models that have less features, particularly a lack of backwards compatibility.  Like, how many USB ports does the newer PS3 model have?  My 60GB model has 4.  With that, I can hook up Move, a USB keyboard, and have room for two controllers. 

Anyhow, I would speak about your comments about Gamestop in general.  They are what they are.  They managed to be able to sell videogames and specialize in that area being able to be operated by fanboys the way that McDonalds is able to be operated by teenagers.

You do realize there is an adaptor you can get for the Slim that's like $15-$20 that gives you 3 extra USB ports, as well as the memory card readers?  Though, I do wish there was B/C with PS2 games.  Oh well, maybe when Sony stops selling PS2's they'll come out with a SW emulator.

Nah.., whatever.., i'll pass...

i'll wait for official Q4 ps3 shipped/sold number from Sony....

Wagram said:
richardhutnik said:
Wagram said:
BenVTrigger said:
Wagram said:

I actually helped a woman buy a PS3 today at my local Gamestop. I pissed the sales clerk off bad. He was trying to sell her a used 60GB PS3 for like 350 bucks. She wanted backwards compatability but I talked her into a new PS3 for 299.99. I could never work at Gamestop, that business is horrible.

Really Gamestop is horrible?  I'm a district manager for Gamestop and I can tell you straight up we are far from horrible.

I have just had bad experience with that business for a very long time. Ranging from over pricing used games. Trying to sell used games as new ones. A new sticker with a scratched game IS NOT NEW. How can you sell a USED 60GB PS3 for 300-350 dollars? Hopefully you are an exception.

I'm not stating that it is wrong to buy the Backwards compatible PS3. I'm just saying when you see a new 160GB PS3 for 299.99 and you have a store trying to sell you a USED PS3 that you can get on eBay for NEW at around the same price. Why would you waste your money. The woman agreed with me obviously as she bought the new one for $299.99

I own a backwards compatible PS3 btw.

ANYWAYS: If you guys would like to discuss this further, put it on my wall so we don't derail this thread. :)

backwards ps3's are in heavy demand hence the huge price. As they are as rare as the dreamcast (if not more so) so most of the time as soon as they appear they go.

You may be able to buy a 160gb new ps3 for 299 but that doesnt have backwards compatibility so people will pay more for that feature. I would for example.

Bet with Conegamer and Doobie_wop 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

thismeintiel said:
richardhutnik said:

You do realize there is an adaptor you can get for the Slim that's like $15-$20 that gives you 3 extra USB ports, as well as the memory card readers?  Though, I do wish there was B/C with PS2 games.  Oh well, maybe when Sony stops selling PS2's they'll come out with a SW emulator.

And that is the point. You have to get additional adaptors, its not the adaptors that bother me, the fact that the 60gb comes with it. You cant compare apples to oranges. They are the same system they shouldnt have taken those things away.

Wagram cant be in retail, why? because a customer comes in for one thing so the salesman tries to sell what the customer wants, someone who thinks they know what they are doing/talking about comes in a tells the customer something else.

The customer thinks oh the salesman doesnt know what they are talking about (even if they do). It is a shocking move to do by Wagram and the customer didnt even walk away with what she wanted.

Bet with Conegamer and Doobie_wop 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

I voted yes thought U're talking about US market but worldwide no it won't happen my predection

1- DS

2- WII

3- PS3

4-360

5- PSP