By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Wikileaks + US diplomacy = biggest "diplomatic" storm ever incoming !

^ http://213.251.145.96/

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
Badassbab said:
Kasz216 said:

As for the actual leaks... this one is pretty hilarious.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11917398

It makes the UK government sound like... I dunno. 

"we're still super special best friends right?"

This is my point though, about stuff that's funny... but there was no real reason to release it.

Hello Kaz. I can see your once again defending democracy hating elite centres of power from criticism.

As for this post, this is one of the many thousands of documents released. I don't think WikiLeaks cherry picked what and what not to release. The fact that the UK state funded BBC decided to focus on this particular story well you have to take it up with the BBC.

Oh and you and I have quite different tastes in humour.

Democracy hating elite centers of power?  Huh?  I'm not even sure who you are referring to here.

Also, actually that's my point.  Wikileaks SHOULD cherry pick what to release and what not to realse.

The majority of this stuff being released serves nothing excpet making private conversations inside governments impossible... which is needed for diplomacy.

I mean, imagine a sports league like the NBA trying to carry out trades with other teams if everything they said had to be public at all times.  You'd never get any deals done.

A certain level of secrecy before the deals are public is needed for negotiating... the only kind of closed diplomacy that is bad is deals that STAY secret.

It's irresponsible to just post any and all secret information you gain, even if that information is not a crime.

So what your saying is Wikileaks should do what the corporate media do and impose on itself self censorship? One of the problems with our Governments is there is far too much secrecy and the public are barely involved in the decision making processes of our elected representatives. The contempt for democracy with the latest leaks is very revealing. Wikileaks is a some ways a response to the piss poor job the mainstream business orientated media is doing.

Badassbab said:
Kasz216 said:
Badassbab said:
Kasz216 said:

As for the actual leaks... this one is pretty hilarious.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11917398

It makes the UK government sound like... I dunno. 

"we're still super special best friends right?"

This is my point though, about stuff that's funny... but there was no real reason to release it.

Hello Kaz. I can see your once again defending democracy hating elite centres of power from criticism.

As for this post, this is one of the many thousands of documents released. I don't think WikiLeaks cherry picked what and what not to release. The fact that the UK state funded BBC decided to focus on this particular story well you have to take it up with the BBC.

Oh and you and I have quite different tastes in humour.

Democracy hating elite centers of power?  Huh?  I'm not even sure who you are referring to here.

Also, actually that's my point.  Wikileaks SHOULD cherry pick what to release and what not to realse.

The majority of this stuff being released serves nothing excpet making private conversations inside governments impossible... which is needed for diplomacy.

I mean, imagine a sports league like the NBA trying to carry out trades with other teams if everything they said had to be public at all times.  You'd never get any deals done.

A certain level of secrecy before the deals are public is needed for negotiating... the only kind of closed diplomacy that is bad is deals that STAY secret.

It's irresponsible to just post any and all secret information you gain, even if that information is not a crime.

So what your saying is Wikileaks should do what the corporate media do and impose on itself self censorship? One of the problems with our Governments is there is far too much secrecy and the public are barely involved in the decision making processes of our elected representatives. The contempt for democracy with the latest leaks is very revealing. Wikileaks is a some ways a response to the piss poor job the mainstream business orientated media is doing.

Really?  Let me ask you a couple questions.

How well do you think polticians would be able to talk to each other if their aids weren't aloud to give honest opinions about the other leaders to each other before they met?

How do you think nuclear negotiations  to stop the Iran nuclear weapons program would go if the US government published transcripts of the entire event?

A program they aren't even publicly admitting exists.  Do you think there would be any negotiatons?  Or that we would just be forced to go to war?

Why was it that open negotions couldn't get a peace deal done in WW1, but they got the deal shortly after the deal went quiet?  (Because nobody wanted to give in publicly, privately each could explain away why the harsh terms weren't harsher.)

Private negotions is the ONLY way to get MOST diplomacy done.  What's the difference just so long as the entire result and deal is published?

Public negotions and full transparency would only lead to much more military action needed to be taken, and for negotions to become more partisan and more deadlocked as the people of both nations end up demanding exactly what was initally offered.

Hell, ever work with people you dislike at a job you've worked at?  Or went to school with someone you disliked?

Do you think it'd be easier if you told them to their face you thought they were an asshole?  Or do you think that might hurt the ability to foster communication?

Kasz216 said:

Hell, ever work with people you dislike at a job you've worked at?  Or went to school with someone you disliked?

Do you think it'd be easier if you told them to their face you thought they were an asshole?  Or do you think that might hurt the ability to foster communication?

It's like the airing of grievances from Festivus from Seinfeld, something i've always thought would be a neat idea but no-one else has ever agreed with, and probably for good reason. I don't tell my boss she's very scatterbrained, and she doesn't tell me whatever negative things she may or may not have to say about me

Anyway, he's apparently seeking asylum in Switzerland now

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
Kasz216 said:

It's like the airing of grievances from Festivus from Seinfeld, something i've always thought would be a neat idea but no-one else has ever agreed with, and probably for good reason. I don't tell my boss she's very scatterbrained, and she doesn't tell me whatever negative things she may or may not have to say about me

Anyway, he's apparently seeking asylum in Switzerland now

I think it'd be a great idea too, but truth is, most people are too sensitive for that, and basically all governments are.  

I see that Wikileaks released a list of the locations of  Vital US national secuirity intrests too.

I'm sure that REALLY needed to be leaked for the wellbeing of the world.  Where all the US' important communication hubs and workers and such are.

There is no real useful reason for leaking it.  Outside of giving terrorists a check list.   It's why just dumping all this info is just reckless and stupid.

Apparently he is hiding in the south east of England. Maybe I will see him walking around.

Switzerland would make sense too... what with it's achieving Universal sufferage for women in 1990.

For someone who's supposed to be all about honesty and free spread of information and wanting politicians to stand for their crimes...  he sure seems to be running pretty hard from a crime he says he didn't do.

Dude seems seriously paranoid.  I think he should hand over the website to the other founders.  I noticed his lawyer said they noted how people as "High up in the Us as Sara Palin has called for his assassanation."

So... as high up as a reality TV show star who has less of a chance of being elected president then Snooki.  I mean she's not in government.

Not sure Swiss Asylum will work, what with their funds being frozen by the Swiss.

Kasz216 said:

Switzerland would make sense too... what with it's achieving Universal sufferage for women in 1990.

For someone who's supposed to be all about honesty and free spread of information and wanting politicians to stand for their crimes...  he sure seems to be running pretty hard from a crime he says he didn't do.

Dude seems seriously paranoid.  I think he should hand over the website to the other founders.  I noticed his lawyer said they noted how people as "High up in the Us as Sara Palin has called for his assassanation."

So... as high up as a reality TV show star who has less of a chance of being elected president then Snooki.  I mean she's not in government.

Not sure Swiss Asylum will work, what with their funds being frozen by the Swiss.

So having sex with a condom is a crime to run from?! After all, it's not like the swedish government is filled with liars and US-led idiots....

Assange and Assange's lawyer has agreed several times to to talk and meet with the people in charge of the case, yet the swedish guys have always declined.

Apparently the file he's threatening to dump if something happens to him or his company contains really sensitive stuff, like names of active spies. He's hoping that'll keep the assassins off his back

EDIT: and now the Swedish arrest warrant has finally reached the hands of Scotland Yard. The hunt is on.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.