By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Pachter: Kinect and Move Shortages are manufactured, Move didnt sell 2.5m

psrock said:

I can understand Sony trying to spur demand, but how is MS doing that?  When he himself stated MS can't keep Kinect in stores and keeps supplying new shipment constantly.

And Move is in great demands, just not the bundles.

So what Pachter is saying is that Sony is deliberatly shorting supply of the single Move controllers, making only the bundles available, in an effort to spur demand of the higher priced sku.

Thus by "shorting" availability of the Move controllers, they are manufacturing a "demand" for them that they actually could meet.

He further compares them to Microsoft, stating that Microsoft is doing this same thing (stand alone cameras to bundles) but that they started doing it first, and that is why Sony is "following" them.

Please note, I've made no comment on my feelings on what he said, just trying to clarify what was stated, as it seems there are a few in this thread that are confused by it.

Around the Network
badgenome said:

Pachtard strikes again.

How could Sony have overshipped and manufactured a shortage?

The PS3 only does everything.

But seriously, the excuse he uses makes no sense.  It's been over 2 months since the release of Move, so Sony should definitely be able to change their production to keep up with demand.  Producing less bundles and more stand alone controllers.  Cause right now is definitely not when you want to be low on supply, since it's the holidays and this is when people are going to buy your products in full force.  And if we do a quick look online we see:

Walmart: Finally has standalones after being sold out for weeks.  However, the PS3 Move bundle is sold out.

Target: Still sold out of PS Eyes and standalone Move controllers.

BestBuy: Still sold out of standalone Move controllers.

Amazon.com: Still sold out of standalone Move controllers.

And didn't we have an article awhile back on VGC about how this kind of thing is just a myth (I believe it was mostly speaking about the Wii at the time).  Which makes sense because if your product is selling well (especially during the holidays), why hold back supply just to make your product always seem "sold out", when you could actually be selling that product and making money off of it.

Heh, funny that when Nintendo was sold out of Wiis for so long everyone was accusing them of purposely holding back shipments when clearly they weren't (they were shipping record amounts in a very short time and even later added factories), yet the evidence seems to point at Sony actually doing this on purpose with the Move and nobody says a peep about it..

He gets paid for trolling? I want that job. Soooo bad.

Inbe4 ethomaz with the undertracked comment.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

Pachter, how has this guy still got a job?

Around the Network
Metallicube said:

Heh, funny that when Nintendo was sold out of Wiis for so long everyone was accusing them of purposely holding back shipments when clearly they weren't (they were shipping record amounts in a very short time and even later added factories), yet the evidence seems to point at Sony actually doing this on purpose with the Move and nobody says a peep about it..

I, for one, don't think either Sony or Nintendo are doing this.  What does that make me?  I think Sony under-estimated the single controller sales and over-estimated the SC bundle sales.  I don't think it's any more conspiracy than that.  I guess I don't really hate either Sony or Nintendo, though.  I strongly dislike MS's strategy right now, but that's a different story.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

TRios_Zen said:
psrock said:

I can understand Sony trying to spur demand, but how is MS doing that?  When he himself stated MS can't keep Kinect in stores and keeps supplying new shipment constantly.

And Move is in great demands, just not the bundles.

So what Pachter is saying is that Sony is deliberatly shorting supply of the single Move controllers, making only the bundles available, in an effort to spur demand of the higher priced sku.

Thus by "shorting" availability of the Move controllers, they are manufacturing a "demand" for them that they actually could meet.

He further compares them to Microsoft, stating that Microsoft is doing this same thing (stand alone cameras to bundles) but that they started doing it first, and that is why Sony is "following" them.

Please note, I've made no comment on my feelings on what he said, just trying to clarify what was stated, as it seems there are a few in this thread that are confused by it.

This actually makes some sense to me. It makes sense to try to increase revenues by driving people toward the more expensive bundle.

By the headline, I thought it was the old "they're ingeniously trying to sell more by not making enough" line that so many leveled against Nintendo. It was bullshit to say so about the Wii and it would be bullshit to say it about Kinect/Move.

But manufacturers trying to sell a few more bucks worth of software? That makes sense.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Patcher is an idiot, doesn't know anything about sales numbers.

whatever ya say, Pachter

Seece said:
Grimes said:

Unless you didn't read the article, he's saying that they shipped more bundles than individual controllers. If you're going to criticize him, at least take the time to get it right or it makes you sound even dumber.

I think some people are being purposefully dense, the article makes perfect sense if people actually read it. Whether it's actually happening is up for debate, but it's a perfectly reasonable assumption to think they're creating a false hype by sending out little standlone (thus selling out) but tons of bundles (to create high sales aka shipments) same goes for Kinect.

READ THE ARTICLE PEOPLE.

reading comprehension for the win. It seems like nobody read all the words and actually understood them except for a few. I can disagreeing with him, but most of you do not seem to understand what he was saying. I can see it being like he said, but it seems like an idea that could backfire on either company if the product doesn't pick up steam and they have too many bundles out that do not sell and not enough standalones that do sell.