By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Our all-digital future? Was microsoft right and blu-ray wrong?

flagship said:

Yes and no.

Physical media won't die easily or quickly however blu-ray being an unneeded niche product probably will.

Well, Blu-ray is already more than a niche product.  It's doing 50% or more on first weeks on some new releases.

Blu-ray is here to stay for a while - like it or not.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Around the Network

OntheEdgeofthemirror said:

MS was completely wrong, physical media isn't never going to die, blu ray is the obvious future here are some things to think about 

-Storage size: the average game is about 8 gigs (behind held back by dvd) on 360 and ps3 exclusives are like 15-20 gigs on average there's no way you could build up a decent collection with DD only, not to mention if you wanted movies and other things on your harddrive, there just isn't the space

-The rest of the world: NA has pretty much the best internet network and still they can't stream blu ray quality movies, UK is next best and japan is up there I think everything else would be pretty much impossible to reliably download full size games or movies on, when you can just ship a dvd or blu ray to it the same as anywhere else and get sales, I mean MS doesn't even have xbl up in half the countries they ship too, and pretty much everywhere besides US they have a poor network so again not going to happen

-Price compare to HDDs: blu rays are cheaper to make then a harddrive of the same size, much cheaper, so for the consumer when buying something that takes up alot of space it's cheaper to buy blu rays then invest in a massive harddrive which still might not be enough 

Don't get more wrong DD is going places, it makes it much easier, cheaper and faster for smaller files and works out great, but storage media is just so much farther ahead in terms of storage capacity and don't rely on online networks, storage media isn't going anywhere until the entire world is covered in wifi thats capable of downloading gigs a minute and even then we'll probably have storage media being set to a mars colony or something 

Defintely agree with you.  While most games this gen can fit on a single DVD (sans a few multi disk 360 releases/PS3 exclusives), the same won't be the case next gen.  Not when the standard for every game will be 1080p (which to look great requires hi-res textures), as well as longer than 5 hr campaigns and larger levels/worlds.

Then you have to take into account other people's internet access.  I believe I read sometime back that only ~ 50% of Americans have high-speed internet in their homes.  This number must be way less in other countries, especially the smaller ones Sony, MS, and Nintendo ship to.  Going digital only would mean very poor console sales in those countries.  It would also mean less retailers would stock them, even in larger regions, since they make very little off the sale of consoles and would no longer be making money off of the sales of video games.

Price compared to HDD's was one I hadn't actually thought about.  Granted by the time next gen starts, 1-2 TB laptop HDDs will probably be the norm and will probably only cost a little over $100.  But, games discs will still only cost you ~ $50-$60.  Now imagine if it was DD only.  Not only would you have to pay ~ $40 (if they are nice and lower the price) for a game, but you have to also pay for multiple HDDs.  And 1TB may seem like a lot, but when your downloading games every 2-3 weeks at 10-20 GBs a pop (not to mention space for DLC, patches, and save files per game) and putting music/videos on your system, that TB won't last you very long.  And god forbid your HDD fails and you have to re-download and re-install everything.  Or if the online store you buy games from goes out of business and/or stops supporting your games.  You're screwed.

Which brings me to another point.  People like to complain about installing games on the PS3, but if you have DD only, every single game you have has to be installed.  But when Sony puts a 6x or 8x Blu-ray drive on the PS4, you can pretty much kiss installs and load times good-bye.

Both were right. BR is here to stay and they sell millions of them every week. Ditigal systems are here aswell. Both will exist at the same time for a long long period and since physical sales still massively dwarf digital sales its a long time from now that digital distribution will be market leader.

Nah the future will be those 500 gig disks that I can't remember the name of xD

Around the Network
Linkasf said:

I think you're talking about HVD's, or Holographic Versatile Discs.  There's a few problems with those, though.  One, Blu-ray is already starting to take hold of the HD market, so coming out with that tech in the next few years, if they come out with it at all, would definitely be seen as pointless and not needed.  Two, the price of initial players are estimated to be at ~ $15,000, while a disc would be ~ $120.  Who's going to pay that much when Blu-ray is already selling around the price of DVD's and HVD offers no real advantage?  Which brings me to point three, space.  The advantage of any of these new discs is space available.  HVD HOPES to eventually be able to do 4 TB, but have only been able to accomplish 500GB.  In 2008, Pioneer already unveiled a 400 GB Blu-ray disc that can be played on current players with a firmware update, hoping to have a 1 TB by 2013.  And earlier this year, Sony announced they are working on a slightly altered blue laser that will make 1 TB, and maybe above, Blu-ray discs easier to do.  So basically, soon we'll have a Blu-ray that holds more than most have in their laptop, right now.  I think Blu-ray is here for the long haul.

Edit:  Whoops.  Forgot another negative about HVD's.  They use a green laser, which is more powerful than the ones Blu-ray and DVD players use.  In other words, a new stronger plastic will have to be made for the discs.  So, no backwards compatability with Blu-rays or DVDs.  Unless, of course, you want to melt the plastic off the disc.

DonFerrari said:
STEKSTAV said:

I thought they predicted HD DVD was the future?

Better believe they were right by being wrong about them, and right about the wrong the other made.

And not using other method being right by default.

Because when you want to win a fanboy war the easy way is just say the other is wrong so you perhaps is right.

So the war is over? I WON?! OMGOMGOMG!!!

MS needs to downplay Blu-ray because it is a key feature for the PS3.

Panasonic receives royalties on Blu-ray players and Sony receives royalites on the discs.

I'd expect the next gen Xbox to be able to read Blu-ray in the very least, but I doubt the games will be on Blu-ray discs.

thismeintiel said:
Linkasf said:

I think you're talking about HVD's, or Holographic Versatile Discs.  There's a few problems with those, though.  One, Blu-ray is already starting to take hold of the HD market, so coming out with that tech in the next few years, if they come out with it at all, would definitely be seen as pointless and not needed.  Two, the price of initial players are estimated to be at ~ $15,000, while a disc would be ~ $120.  Who's going to pay that much when Blu-ray is already selling around the price of DVD's and HVD offers no real advantage?  Which brings me to point three, space.  The advantage of any of these new discs is space available.  HVD HOPES to eventually be able to do 4 TB, but have only been able to accomplish 500GB.  In 2008, Pioneer already unveiled a 400 GB Blu-ray disc that can be played on current players with a firmware update, hoping to have a 1 TB by 2013.  And earlier this year, Sony announced they are working on a slightly altered blue laser that will make 1 TB, and maybe above, Blu-ray discs easier to do.  So basically, soon we'll have a Blu-ray that holds more than most have in their laptop, right now.  I think Blu-ray is here for the long haul.

Edit:  Whoops.  Forgot another negative about HVD's.  They use a green laser, which is more powerful than the ones Blu-ray and DVD players use.  In other words, a new stronger plastic will have to be made for the discs.  So, no backwards compatability with Blu-rays or DVDs.  Unless, of course, you want to melt the plastic off the disc.

xD good read :p

Is this before or after microsoft supported hd-dvd??