By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Gran Turismo 5 CRITIC REVIEWS & Metacritic Watch Thread!

I gotta admit reviews are lower than I and many other people thought it was gonna get, but like cgi said it was most likely hugely hurt because of all the perfection talk sony had had. I think the game must be great, but long dev time and all that talk brought the reviews a bit down.

Around the Network
Cypher1980 said:
libellule said:
Hyruken said:

Most deffinatly not the best racing game ever...

GT5 is a good game but it doesn't tick all the boxes. Especially if we are comparing to Forza 3. The sound is not as good, the crash physics are not as good, the tracks overall are less varied and not as good, the AI is nowhere near as good, the customization is nowhere near as good, the ability to design your cars is not in it, the menus are basic, has less cars that look detailed 200 compared to Forza's 400 etc.

The areas where i think Gt5 is better is the graphics of the overall game. The 200 premium cars look better then any other cars ever created, period. The racing world looks awesome from the green grass to the racing stands.

I am a huge racing fan, if you look at my gamer tags your see i have pretty much every racing game this gen on both consoles. GT5 is a really good game, but best racing game this gen in terms of simulation still belongs to Forza 3. I think overall the reviews reflect that.

Driving physics are better than any console game. Period.

It is still the best driving simulator, perhaps not the best racing game ...

LINK ????

IGN Final Impressions: "This is the best driving simulation available for consoles... and by some margin."
"After six long years, it's reaffirmed itself as the king of simulation."

Eurogamer: "This is the Holy Grail of racing sim games."

GamePro: " I know that while it’s the best racing game out there, with just a bit more focus in some key areas it could have been even better."

PlayStation LifeStyle: "Gran Turismo 5 is the pinnacle of the racing simulation genre"

I'm Back! - Proud owner of the best doomed handheld of all time!

IM BACK!

Seems like GT5 did deliver in sense of being the best racing sim. It was kinda expected that all the hype and expectations wouldn't be met in a 9-10/10 sense, atleast to me.

PD REALLY got lucky, the reviews could have been FAR worse. Talking mid 70s in meta. It should end at low-middle 80s unless the reviews that are to come are drastically better than the current ones, which I for some reason doubt.

Hopefully PD will get their act together and pull out a GT6 WITHOUT ANY DAMN STANDARD CARS. I mean for instance, GameReactor gave GT5 a 7/10 and in graphics department.. 7 TOO! It was a 7 on all points, gameplay, graphics, replay value, presentation. The standard cars set the presentation on a horrible point, the graphics on a horrible point. If GT5 would have had 300 premium cars and NO standard cars, released in 2008 or 2009, I can honestly think this game would have gotten shitloads of 9s and 10s.

The game looks really fun and good. Cant wait to get the collectors edition with the GT offical logitech wheel today! I hope online will be fun aswell. I expect more from GT6 whenever it arrives.

Now Sony, go announce Uncharted 3 at VGA and give us Mr. G O T Y like the guy in this thread said lmao. This  years GOTY won't be a Sony exclusive. Next most likely will just alike 2008 and 2009.

haxxiy said:

Still sounds like a good game, but not quite delivering it considering it was 6 years on the making. I wonder if that's another doing of the japanese developer curse that hit this gen... maybe it's time for Sony to reconsider leaving GT to PD's hands. 

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

So basically every review says it is the best game this gen regarding simulators.  That cannot be a bad thing. 

So in aspects like customization and menus it has some of its biggest faults.  I think this game is a victim of the hype train, it's been hyped to be the Second coming, but it seems like people on got to see the Holy Spirit and were disappointed haha.

Around the Network
iWarMachine said:
IGN Final Impressions: "This is the best driving simulation available for consoles... and by some margin."
"After six long years, it's reaffirmed itself as the king of simulation."

LOL every time I read that on IGN review... after all the "best driving simulation... by some margin" = 8.5

Aldro said:

IM BACK!

Seems like GT5 did deliver in sense of being the best racing sim. It was kinda expected that all the hype and expectations wouldn't be met in a 9-10/10 sense, atleast to me.

PD REALLY got lucky, the reviews could have been FAR worse. Talking mid 70s in meta. It should end at low-middle 80s unless the reviews that are to come are drastically better than the current ones, which I for some reason doubt.

Hopefully PD will get their act together and pull out a GT6 WITHOUT ANY DAMN STANDARD CARS. I mean for instance, GameReactor gave GT5 a 7/10 and in graphics department.. 7 TOO! It was a 7 on all points, gameplay, graphics, replay value, presentation. The standard cars set the presentation on a horrible point, the graphics on a horrible point. If GT5 would have had 300 premium cars and NO standard cars, released in 2008 or 2009, I can honestly think this game would have gotten shitloads of 9s and 10s.

The game looks really fun and good. Cant wait to get the collectors edition with the GT offical logitech wheel today! I hope online will be fun aswell. I expect more from GT6 whenever it arrives.

Now Sony, go announce Uncharted 3 at VGA and give us Mr. G O T Y like the guy in this thread said lmao. This  years GOTY won't be a Sony exclusive. Next most likely will just alike 2008 and 2009.

can't have GOTY EVERY year.  ;)  Gotta give someone else a chance before Sony takes 2011.

NYANKS said:

So basically every review says it is the best game this gen regarding simulators.  That cannot be a bad thing. 

So in aspects like customization and menus it has some of its biggest faults.  I think this game is a victim of the hype train, it's been hyped to be the Second coming, but it seems like people on got to see the Holy Spirit and were disappointed haha.

Pretty much this.

From personal experience (and this is my opinion), GT5 rivals the simulation levels of iRacing and GTR-2, and even surpasses them in some aspects. While the game does have it's flaws and inconsistencies, for what it is and for what it was meant to achieve, GT5 did it perfectly, simulation at it's finest.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

NYANKS said:
Aldro said:

IM BACK!

can't have GOTY EVERY year.  ;)  Gotta give someone else a chance before Sony takes 2011.

Yeah... we'll just settle for graphics every year xD.

2008 - MGS4
2009 - Uncharted 2 ...& Killzone 2
2010 - GoW3
2011 - Uncharted 3? ...& Killzone 3 ........LAST GUARDIAN?! Yeah I dunno XD.

Have a feeling games like Crysis 2 and Rage won't beat Killzone :> just a hunch.

Shit, getting off topic. Back to GT5,

What do you think the meta will end up being?

I think a Sony exclusive will win goty this year, but lets leave that for another thread.