By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - UK agrees to skilled migration cap.

Of employees outside of the Europeon Economic Zone.

Which makes me ask... what's the point?

Seems like a fairly pointless piece of legislation meant to appease the right.

As long as you have free immigration across the EU trying to control immigration seems pointless.

Also, Skilled labor i'd think would be the immigrants you'd want?  I mean, brain drain is supposed to be good for the country doin the draining.

Around the Network

It is pointless because of the EU. A skilled qualified worker in the UK who is from outside the EU is still needed as they would have never been hired unless they were the best for the job.

It's not non-EU workers that cause so many people issues, it's workers from lesser EU countries like Poland (as seen with the mass migration when they joined). The only people who really do have an issue is those who claim they are taking their jobs but are too lazy to get off their arse and work a decent days work in proper physical labour in factories and farms of this nation. There is a reason why farmers hire migrant workers and that is that they are willing to do it.

Will this affect football?

Hmm, pie.

Maybe it's because in probably one of the least ethnically diverse places in the country, but I've never seen the problem with immigration.

And surely skilled immigrants aren't the ones who are apparently a 'burden', it's the unskilled ones

Yep, it's a stupid idea. It's because our government wants to look tough on immigration but can't because we have to allow anyone from the EU to enter, so we have no control over the majority of immigrants anyway. And it is unskilled EU immigrants who don't learn English and don't find work that are the problem.

I voted for this government, but since they raised tuition fees I have vowed never to vote for them again.

@The Fury

I'm almost certain will be a backdoor so footballers, highly-paid businessmen and anyone the major corporations or government want to hire can bring people in. You watch.

Why? I can only see negatives with this legislation. It seems more symbolic than anything. I mean, what's the point of a skilled labour cap? Surely these people are more useful to us than any other type of immigrant.

Around the Network

look stupid to me too

it is not only immigration but the whole europe stuff that has to be think again ... it is just painfully wrong

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance/ambroseevans-pritchard/100008667/the-horrible-truth-starts-to-dawn-on-europes-leaders/

Time to Work !

That's pretty retarded, skilled labourers are almost never the problem. It's the other type of immigrant where the problems come from.

libellule said:

look stupid to me too

it is not only immigration but the whole europe stuff that has to be think again ... it is just painfully wrong

It works as a free-trade area. Reducing some of the unneccessary differences in legal system, currency and immigration/trade rules is desirable economically. Going this far (trying to create a United States of Europe), though, has indeed produced problems.

The worst part is having rules forced on a country in the EU by other countries in the EU or the EU Commission et cetera. The result is not democratic because EU-wide voters have little actual say in who's in power or what decisions get made when they vote for their MEP.

Soleron said:
libellule said:

look stupid to me too

It works as a free-trade area. Reducing some of the unneccessary differences in legal system, currency and immigration/trade rules is desirable economically. Going this far (trying to create a United States of Europe), though, has indeed produced problems.

The worst part is having rules forced on a country in the EU by other countries in the EU or the EU Commission et cetera. The result is not democratic because EU-wide voters have little actual say in who's in power or what decisions get made when they vote for their MEP.

so this means overall it is bad ...

Time to Work !

This is exactly why I'm being drawn closer and closer towards UKIP.

Also this:

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective