By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - do you agree with the new TSA security measures?

do you agree with the new TSA security measures?

yes 24 25.26%

no 47 49.47%

don't care 11 11.58%

another great thread,from... 1 1.05%

it's all overblown 2 2.11%

the should use different tactics 9 9.47%

Total:94
Rath said:
Raze said:

Agreed with some here - bring back racial profiling and all is fixed.

How? As I just said, if these searches are 'against human rights' then they must be against all humans rights, they can't be ok for Arabs and not ok for everybody else.

This isn't even touching on the issue of whether racial profiling itself is ok by the way, that's a whole different kettle of fish.

I dont care about the being touched thing whatever, they do it at clubs and concerts all the time. Anyone who's been to a rock show has been frisked, its standard procedure.

The issue is with the fact that the TSA has to randomly select people, to make it look like everything's fair, when everyone is damn well aware that pretty much ALL of the plane bombings/hijackings have been coming from the middle east. You know who the target of your searches is, stop inconveniencing everyone else.

If you had a serial killer on the loose that fit the description of blonde hair, blue eyes, I doubt you'd do much searching in the afro-american communities.

Call a spade a spade and search suspects, not just "randomly". Racial profiling in this instance is the correct course of action.

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

Around the Network

I honestly do not care. If they want to pat me down then its for a reason. Its not like they are doing it just for shits and giggles. Even if they are, they are under A LOT of pressure. Its not biggie. People should just get over it.

Kasz216 said:
SamuelRSmith said:
Gnizmo said:
SamuelRSmith said:

I think the fact that it doesn't have a very high chance of being successful is what is preventing this from happening.

Have you seen the security at airports in the USA? I have. A fully armed dozen people out for blood would make it through fine. Especially with a handy number of body shields running around panicked out of their mind. Keep in mind that people keeping the peace would have to care a great deal about civilian casualties.

Yeah, I've seen the security at airports in the US, seems pretty tight. Do you realise how long it would take for terrorists to "shoot their way" to the nearest plane? Longer than the amount of time it takes for Emergency Response Units to reach the scene, I'm sure.

EDIT: Oh, and don't get me wrong, I voted "no" on the poll, I am very much against body scanners and the like, I just don't think your "what if" scenario is likely.

Why would anyone bother to shoo their way to a plane anyway?  A dozen fully armed people could probably do more damage as is, then trying to attempt another 9/11 style attack.

That's why the most recent terrorist information has been about gathering people in groups of 6 and arming them to just gun people down until taken down by police.

I have no idea why they would.

Raze said:
Rath said:
Raze said:

Agreed with some here - bring back racial profiling and all is fixed.

How? As I just said, if these searches are 'against human rights' then they must be against all humans rights, they can't be ok for Arabs and not ok for everybody else.

This isn't even touching on the issue of whether racial profiling itself is ok by the way, that's a whole different kettle of fish.

I dont care about the being touched thing whatever, they do it at clubs and concerts all the time. Anyone who's been to a rock show has been frisked, its standard procedure.

The issue is with the fact that the TSA has to randomly select people, to make it look like everything's fair, when everyone is damn well aware that pretty much ALL of the plane bombings/hijackings have been coming from the middle east. You know who the target of your searches is, stop inconveniencing everyone else.

If you had a serial killer on the loose that fit the description of blonde hair, blue eyes, I doubt you'd do much searching in the afro-american communities.

Call a spade a spade and search suspects, not just "randomly". Racial profiling in this instance is the correct course of action.

If you use the scanner then you can easily search everybody - including every Arab - and then there is no logical reason to racially profile no?

Gnizmo said:
twesterm said:

Wait, I'm confused.  Are you saying your own what if scenario couldn't happen?

Not really. The ultimate question is "Why isn't this happening?" There are a lot of other situations that make you ask the same. Some make me simply question the competence of our enemy while others make me questions their number. This is one to question their number.

Well if it's a question of numbers then I would imagine it would take a lot less people and less resources to hijack a plane than an airport.

And the ultimate answer to why they don't invade an airport-- because it would be ultimately stupid and not really work.  At best they would annoy the nation by grounding all air traffic.

Around the Network
oldschoolfool said:

Do you agree with the new TSA security measures. As you may know,if you don't go through the new full body scan machines,you have to be subjective to a pat-down,no matter who you are. So is this really being invasive? Are they just doing this to be extra safe. I personally don't see what the big deal is. Just go through the scan machine and be on your way. As long as I'm safe,I don't care. I think all of this is being way overblown in the media. This is just the world we live in,you want to travel bye plane,then expect these security measures. You can always travel by some other form of transportation. I don't travel that often,but I do every once in awhile,so this is no big deal to me. So how are the security measures in other countries? Should they just get rid of the TSA all together? So,what do you guys think?

#1 i saw an article rently that said frequent use of the machin might induce cancer (so people traveling a lot)

#2 I just came back from the states... 2 airports, in both, the people that took the regular line did not have any pat downs, although it was written on a board that they would. However, every woman in the scan coridor got pated down.... ridiculous (the pat is with the outside of the hand, basically as if you did a karate chop, so not really invasive, the attendent will only feel bumps, which is the intent).

so it's pretty much a ridiculous measure.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Hephaestos said:
oldschoolfool said:

#1 i saw an article rently that said frequent use of the machin might induce cancer (so people traveling a lot)

I'm guessing by frequent they want you to think over lifetime but what they really mean is in a row.

Just like drinking 100 sodas can kill you*!

*And we mean 100 sodas in a day, not spread out over 3 months.

Also, there's a big word you might not have picked up on-- might.

I can point to any cock and bull study and say something might happen.  I have no idea what story you're talking about (links to sources always help!) but those are the things that immediately jump out at me.  Remember, news writers will do whatever they can to get you to read/watch their story.

twesterm said:
Hephaestos said:
oldschoolfool said:

I'm guessing by frequent they want you to think over lifetime but what they really mean is in a row.

I can point to any cock and bull study and say something might happen.  I have no idea what story you're talking about (links to sources always help!) but those are the things that immediately jump out at me.  Remember, news writers will do whatever they can to get you to read/watch their story.

actually I did but I can see how my sentence wasn't clear. It was for business men or people comuting a lot. So if you take say your weekly doze of scan it's bad for you.

(I forgot which tech these scaners use, but most medical scaners use rays that are bad for your body... though once every 6 months is no problem.)

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Hephaestos said:
twesterm said:
Hephaestos said:
oldschoolfool said:

actually I did but I can see how my sentence wasn't clear. It was for business men or people comuting a lot. So if you take say your weekly doze of scan it's bad for you.

(I forgot which tech these scaners use, but most medical scaners use rays that are bad for your body... though once every 6 months is no problem.)

A weekly scan isn't bad for you, I imagine several scans an hour every day might do something and if that did then I would imagine the TSA people would be in more danger but two scans a week isn't going to hurt you.

twesterm said:

Well if it's a question of numbers then I would imagine it would take a lot less people and less resources to hijack a plane than an airport.

And the ultimate answer to why they don't invade an airport-- because it would be ultimately stupid and not really work.  At best they would annoy the nation by grounding all air traffic.

Ineffective doesn't add up for me. The kill count would be enormous, and there is little security outside of the security check points which, conveniently, have a large number of targets. Such an attack (or simple explosive)  would have ridiculous casualty rates, and really fuck up airport security. Looking to strike terror and make a statement? Go down as the guy who made everyone who goes near an airport needs to go through security.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229