By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - is Joy Ride has AUTO-STEERING like this video?

Alby_da_Wolf said:
daroamer said:
deskpro2k3 said:
daroamer said:
deskpro2k3 said:

that was awesome, a revolution in gaming lol. the look on his face tells a lot while he play, or not play? lol

Who called Joyride a revolution in gaming?

hmm? sarcasm.

Yes, in order for that to be sarcasm someone must have been seriously calling Joyride a revolution in gaming.  I've never heard anyone call it that.  So I was confused.

You disappoint me. Frank Zappa is supposed to be able to get even the tiniest and best hidden amounts of sarcasm or irony!   

Heh, trust me, I got the sarcasm but you apparently didn't get mine

My point was he seemed to be directing his sarcasm at Kinect instead of Joyride.   Implying that Kinect didn't really work.  Trying playing Kinect Sports without moving and you're likely to get very disappointing results.

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Looks like that made Joy Ride too kid friendly.

Also, it seems the goal is to collect coins as you race, finish at record times, and win the race. You aren't accomplishing any of this leting it auto drive.

MS really should have sold this one at a budget price.

It was originally going to be a free game for Gold subscribers, before decided to make it a kinect game.

I'm aware.

Hopefully they'll come to their senses and make another Joy Ride that sticks to the original idea.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

kowenicki said:

People are still trying to say kinect doesnt work?  or dig as much as they can at anything kinect related... ?? poor. 

Kinect works... it works very very well, deal with it.

This game isnt very good, this is true... but having played the demo... and tryin this out, I can confirm that this is fake.

Oversensitive about defending Kinect's fragile feelings? Just one person looked like he could be implying that the whole Kinect was bad and not just the game, but the most negative thing about Kinect was written by a person that played the game and didn't want to attack Kinect, but he actually inadvertently did and he looks like he still doesn't realize it. I'll let you find who and where in the thread.   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

daroamer said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
daroamer said:
deskpro2k3 said:
daroamer said:
deskpro2k3 said:

that was awesome, a revolution in gaming lol. the look on his face tells a lot while he play, or not play? lol

Who called Joyride a revolution in gaming?

hmm? sarcasm.

Yes, in order for that to be sarcasm someone must have been seriously calling Joyride a revolution in gaming.  I've never heard anyone call it that.  So I was confused.

You disappoint me. Frank Zappa is supposed to be able to get even the tiniest and best hidden amounts of sarcasm or irony!   

Heh, trust me, I got the sarcasm but you apparently didn't get mine

My point was he seemed to be directing his sarcasm at Kinect instead of Joyride.   Implying that Kinect didn't really work.  Trying playing Kinect Sports without moving and you're likely to get very disappointing results.

LOL, I'm starting to think you put more sarcasm in this thread than anybody will ever realize...   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

PullusPardus said:

is that James Labrie playing?

he's going into Zero Degrees of inner Turbulence

I doubt it, as he didn't ruin the video with high pitched singing that resembles a 6 year old girl.

Around the Network

I found the source of this, and pasted it in a new threadl, but it was locked
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=120071&page=1&str=1072348505
The kowenickies of this forum aren't going to like it because of the conclusions it reaches:

http://gamebabble.wordpress.com/2010/11/22/kinect-gel-ride-the-full-story/

Kinect GEL Ride: The Full Story?

As I’ve said many times before, I generally try to keep excessively “bloggy” posts off this site. However, with one of my own videos going viral, I figured I’d give a little background. The video in question?

The video you see is indeed not a hoax as you’ll notice the on-screen flashes and photos at the end match up. So what’s going on here?

Well obviously I own a Kinect and had one hooked up while chatting with some friends on XBox Live. Knowing full well that chatting through the Kinect microphone is a mess (as it picks up the TV audio) I figured I couldn’t do much with it. Then I remembered I downloaded the demo of Kinect Joy Ride and decided to pop it in as I could probably still play it despite having a wired headset attached.

But as I raced I really didn’t feel like I was in much control. It felt like it was trying to automatically guide me along a track. So, I ran an experiment and tried just sitting there holding the “wheel”. To my amusement, it worked! So yeah, the next day I hooked up a camera and got the madness on film.

I figured it would make an amusing thing to show people on YouTube, but I didn’t expect it to go viral like it did. I should have known better.

You see, many gamers see the Kinect as a threat. Though Kudo Tsunoda has made statements to the contrary, the Kinect is being advertised as “the future” with Microsoft acting as though controllers are a bad thing. Obviously, nothing could be more wrong. While motion controls definitely have a place in gaming, it’s a place alongside standard control schemes as each has their strengths and weaknesses. But unfortunately, that’s not how Microsoft is billing the Kinect and that’s the problem.

Now, with the Kinect’s possible success looming on the horizon, gamers are scared and with good reason. The Kinect is not a very good controller. It’s an incredible piece of technology, no doubt about that, but it lacks functionality as a gaming device. It’s too sluggish and inaccurate for any sort of serious gaming application! Yes it works great for dancing games but beyond that it’s not capable of much else.

As such, the only other games that really work for it are very loose. Games designed so accuracy and control aren’t all that necessary. What this ultimately means is that, in an odd twist, the Kinect is only capable of playing casual games.

That fact annoys me greatly. As anyone who has seen my videos knows, I hold no grudge against the “casuals”. A good game is a good game and a bad game is a bad game. Ultimately whether you’re “casual” or “hard core” doesn’t matter in the end…usually. However the Kinect exists to change that. Many of the games on it, outside of the dancing game genre, are indeed bad games. However the technical wizardry of the Kinect makes them look much better than they actually are and can fool “casuals” into thinking these bad games are amazing.

That said, I wouldn’t hold my breath for the Kinect “destroying” the industry. You can only put a game on auto-pilot so much before people start to catch on and your gimmicky control scheme goes by the wayside. The story here isn’t how many Kinects sell before Christmas, it’s how many get returned in the following months.

Don’t get me wrong though, if you consider the Kinect “like Rock Band for dancing” then you’ll love it. Dance Central and DanceMasters are both great dancing games and are the reason why I am not completely enraged by my Kinect purchase.

Also, don’t go off thinking all motion control is gimmicky. I hate to act like such a blatant Sony flag waver, especially as I personally dislike the company, but the Move is incredible. Again, it shouldn’t replace standard controllers, but it does open up some tantalizing new possibilities. It’s responsive, accurate, and most importantly it provides more control than a regular controller and that’s what really matters.

That said, I have rambled too much and there is another element to this story. After the video went viral, many people wondered how I could be playing if I was sitting down. According to many people, the Kinect “doesn’t work” when sitting. That part isn’t entirely true. If all it has to do is detect hand movement, the Kinect works while sitting so menu navigation is just fine. However it did prompt me to try Kinect Joy Ride standing up and the end result was…odd.

(WARNING: TURN DOWN YOUR SPEAKERS!)

So it automatically drives you when you sit down? Was this an intentional feature? This revelation raises a number of questions. Questions which can only be answered by the development team at this point. Regardless, you know my stance.

---

http://theplaystationshow.com/2010/11/kinect-games-play-themselves/

"Well certainly with the Xbox 360, we had some challenges at the launch. Once we identified that we took control of it. We wanted to do it right by our customers. Our customers are very important to us." -Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb (10/2013). Note: RRoD was fixed with the Jasper-revision 3 years after the launch of 360

"People don't pay attention to a lot of the details."-Yusuf Mehdi explaining why Xbone DRM scheme would succeed

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360,”-Don Mattrick

"The region locking of the 3DS wasn't done for profits on games"-MDMAlliance

It looks like driving a new Volvo with all those fancy, grandma-friendly, driving aids on, and then some more added!   

But about having to stand up to turn some of those aids off: what vehicles are often driven standing up? Yes, funiculars and cableways. Maybe we've found two possible killer racing games for Kinect!   

I guess we have a new audience for gaming, lazy people. Sales for this game should exceed 1 million in a lifetime due to this video at least.

Rainbow Yoshi said:

I guess we have a new audience for gaming, lazy people. Sales for this game should exceed 1 million in a lifetime due to this video at least.

Well, Nintendo attacked people who wanted to get off the couch with the balance board and Wii Fit. Instead of trying to tap the same market, Microsoft decided to be the leader this time around and create a new one.

Farmageddon said:

What do you mean you can't win by just sitting there?

Edit: As someone said on comments, it's actually mind-controlled!

Yep, the driver's concentration is astonishing, I bet he could steer the whole TV set just staring at it!