By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - EG Article on Kinect impact (or lack of) on competitors in UK

libellule said:
TRios_Zen said:

The only problem I see with this comparison is that the sale of Black Ops confounds the analysis.  Specifically, by introducing Black Ops into the mix it's hard to say that Kinect did not in fact keep demand for the PS3/Wii flat, when it otherwise might have risen.

That being said, I'm NOT suggesting that Kinect did keep demand for other consoles flat, only that the data this is based on is not conclusive.

For the record let me state that I have never expected Move or Kinect to kill-off the Wii or the oppossing platform.  Well I'm sure Microsoft and/or Sony would love it if that were the case I think the would both be happy with re-invigorating demand for thier consoles going into the Holiday season.

It is not like the CoD bundle was exclusive to the Xbox360 ...

I'm not sure your following my argument...

It's precisely because Black Ops HAD an effect on sales for all three consoles at the same time that Kinect had an effect that confounds the analysis.

Around the Network
Scoobes said:

I'm not entirely suprised by this outcome as PS Move and Kinect were seemingly going for seperate parts of the market (core vs casual respectively) and Wii is already fairly well established.

What I am suprised by is that all consoles are doing so well when we're in a recession...

The recession is a lie!

Its normal in holidays for systems to increase

perhaps if Kinect hadn't have launched PS3's increase would be biggeer

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

TRios_Zen said:
libellule said:
TRios_Zen said:

The only problem I see with this comparison is that the sale of Black Ops confounds the analysis.  Specifically, by introducing Black Ops into the mix it's hard to say that Kinect did not in fact keep demand for the PS3/Wii flat, when it otherwise might have risen.

That being said, I'm NOT suggesting that Kinect did keep demand for other consoles flat, only that the data this is based on is not conclusive.

For the record let me state that I have never expected Move or Kinect to kill-off the Wii or the oppossing platform.  Well I'm sure Microsoft and/or Sony would love it if that were the case I think the would both be happy with re-invigorating demand for thier consoles going into the Holiday season.

It's precisely because Black Ops HAD an effect on sales for all three consoles at the same time that Kinect had an effect that confounds the analysis.

except that the bundle IS exclusive to one of the 3 console suggesting that BOps effect will push further this console

in clear, so the "kinect bump" is paritally du to blackops too

Time to Work !

BTW, we have see since YEARS that it is VERY hard, perhaps impossible, to "suppress" console sales.

For example, if u make a price drop for the console X, then the sales for this console will increase but you will never see the sales for the console Y/Z decrease ...

Time to Work !

libellule said:
TRios_Zen said:
libellule said:

except that the bundle IS exclusive to one of the 3 console suggesting that BOps effect will push further this console

I absolutely agree.  In fact everything you said agrees with everything I said...

The sales of Black Ops confounds any true analysis of the effect of Kinect.  Is that clearer?

In order to normalize the data and thus estimate a comparison (and it would just be an educated guess, not hard verifialbe facts) you would have to estimate the effect of Black Ops on the sales of all consoles at this week, and remove those #'s from the totals and THEN look for an effect of Kinect on the 360 and it's competitors.

Around the Network
thx1139 said:

Far to early to tell. Not to mention I dont believe anyone thought that Kinect would kill PS3 sales.  The real question is does Kinect accelerate 360 sales.  I do believe that Kinect and Move slow Wii sales.  Wii no longer has Motion controls to themselves.

- UK sales of PS3 and Wii were not impacted by the recent surge in Xbox 360 sales
- neither PS3 or Wii registered a noticeable slump
- Wii outsold Xbox 360 in the week preceding Kinect's launch
- both Wii and PS3 posted numbers consistent with their previous weeks' totals
- weekly sales of all three major home console formats rose considerably in the period leading up to Kinect's launch
- Nintendo DS has been the best-selling console in the UK over the past five weeks

^ Summary copy-pasted from GN.

Did the red Wii come out in the UK the week before Kinect or after?

For the most part it seems that the sales of the consoles don't effect each other too badly in the short term. Even with the PS3 price cut of last year or the 360 one in 2008 you couldn't really say the other console suffered too greatly from the fact that the price of the consoles suddenly came down.

Tease.

TRios_Zen said:
libellule said:
TRios_Zen said:
libellule said:

I absolutely agree.  In fact everything you said agrees with everything I said...

The sales of Black Ops confounds any true analysis of the effect of Kinect.  Is that clearer?

In order to normalize the data and thus estimate a comparison (and it would just be an educated guess, not hard verifialbe facts) you would have to estimate the effect of Black Ops on the sales of all consoles at this week, and remove those #'s from the totals and THEN look for an effect of Kinect on the 360 and it's competitors.

huh ... so basically, I took ur post the wrong way ... sorry

Time to Work !

ioi said:
Seece said:

Gee's its only been a week. Same week COD launched on PS3 and Wii coming off the back of new bundles and a red console. Far far too early to tell anything.

Indeed... pretty stupid article IMO

How does that add to the debate?  As an administrator and moderator of the site other users look to you to demonstrate what is, and is not, acceptable.  You may not realise it but you have a responsibility to set an example in the way you conduct yourself on these forums.

OT:  While I agree it is early days it will be interesting to see the effects of each system's motion control efforts.  Will they simply cancel each other out (in terms of HD market share)? If so, will it be the case in all markets or will we see Xbox strengthen further in NA and PS3 strengthen in Japan/Europe?  It's going to be a fascinating few months.