By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - EG Article on Kinect impact (or lack of) on competitors in UK

One of the big questions with the launch of Move then more recently Kinect was how would this affect demand betweem consoles.  At least in the UK, according to Eurogamer, the result is essentially zero, with Kinect boosting 360 sales but not seeming to harm PS3/Wii demand and of course by extension we can see that despite the nice launch of Move it hasn't stopped 360/Kinect surging ahead.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-17-uk-ps3-sales-unaffected-by-xbox-surge

My feeling comming up to the launches was that this might well be the case - that each console would see a boost, particularly in territories that they were strong in, but that overall neither new device would turn out to be a killer blow in terms of harming the others sales.

If this holds true more globally, then Kinect/Move will likely be more about how much additional sales/demographic install base they can help secure for PS3/360 vs actually hurting sales of the other.  Perhaps more interestingly, with minimal impact on the Wii's sales/trends they may not slow the Wii's natural sales curve from progressing either.

Of course, the month or so might show some changes, but for now I think Kinect/Move are more about what they can do for their console vs actually slowing the competition down.

In short, it's still a three horse race with one a fair bit in front and two neck and neck and that's probably not going to change anytime soon from a worldwide perspective, although certain territories are probably now cemented in stone.

Thoughts?

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network

I'm not entirely suprised by this outcome as PS Move and Kinect were seemingly going for seperate parts of the market (core vs casual respectively) and Wii is already fairly well established.

What I am suprised by is that all consoles are doing so well when we're in a recession...

Gee's its only been a week. Same week COD launched on PS3 and Wii coming off the back of new bundles and a red console. Far far too early to tell anything.

I think this holiday will actually be a good time to have this discussion at the moment it really is too soon what with Kinect only just launching in Europe and today in Aus an alike coupled with Black Ops I do not think we have enough data to make this kind of statement.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.

Guess why: Motion Control fashion has been here since 2006.

Only internet forum users, aka, the minority, cared about trolling it before and love it after it was announced for other platforms 4 years late to the party.

The majority of the public don't use internet regularly to check on gaming news, and they only see Wii wannabes on kinect and move. Just like every phone with a touchscreen its an iphone wannabe for the masses.

Around the Network

The only problem I see with this comparison is that the sale of Black Ops confounds the analysis.  Specifically, by introducing Black Ops into the mix it's hard to say that Kinect did not in fact keep demand for the PS3/Wii flat, when it otherwise might have risen.

That being said, I'm NOT suggesting that Kinect did keep demand for other consoles flat, only that the data this is based on is not conclusive.

For the record let me state that I have never expected Move or Kinect to kill-off the Wii or the oppossing platform.  Well I'm sure Microsoft and/or Sony would love it if that were the case I think the would both be happy with re-invigorating demand for thier consoles going into the Holiday season.

Far to early to tell. Not to mention I dont believe anyone thought that Kinect would kill PS3 sales.  The real question is does Kinect accelerate 360 sales.  I do believe that Kinect and Move slow Wii sales.  Wii no longer has Motion controls to themselves.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

WHAT

Are you suggesting that kinect, that incredibly pierce of hardware that is THE ULTIMATE GAME CHANGER will not allow the 360 to demolish the PS3 has the Xbox community is hopping for despite an insane marketing ?

Are you suggesting that kinect despite good (thx u hardcore hyped fans) initial sales and hardware boost will not succeed to steal the casual crowd from the Wii in the longterm because outside Dance Central Kinect doesnt bring anything worth the value to get a 360 ? 

you can't be serious man !

More seriously, yeah, it is perhaps too late for a game changer during this gen
we need the january hardware sales !

Time to Work !

Mr.Metralha said:

Guess why: Motion Control fashion has been here since 2006.

Only internet forum users, aka, the minority, cared about trolling it before and love it after it was announced for other platforms 4 years late to the party.

The majority of the public don't use internet regularly to check on gaming news, and they only see Wii wannabes on kinect and move. Just like every phone with a touchscreen its an iphone wannabe for the masses.

good point

even if I consider game like dance central (full motion recognition) could change this

Time to Work !

TRios_Zen said:

The only problem I see with this comparison is that the sale of Black Ops confounds the analysis.  Specifically, by introducing Black Ops into the mix it's hard to say that Kinect did not in fact keep demand for the PS3/Wii flat, when it otherwise might have risen.

That being said, I'm NOT suggesting that Kinect did keep demand for other consoles flat, only that the data this is based on is not conclusive.

For the record let me state that I have never expected Move or Kinect to kill-off the Wii or the oppossing platform.  Well I'm sure Microsoft and/or Sony would love it if that were the case I think the would both be happy with re-invigorating demand for thier consoles going into the Holiday season.

It is not like the CoD bundle was exclusive to the Xbox360 ...

Time to Work !