By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft favorite to buy Rock Band developer Harmonix?

Critic review wise Rock Band and Dance Central would be pretty big exclusives to have for MS, namingly Rock Band as thats the best rated music game on the market. Guitar Hero does not appeal as much anymore and does not garner great reviews as of late.

Would be good for MS since they've been lacking exclusives the last few year or so.

It's just that simple.

Around the Network

I think MS is going to buy them. It makes sense. :P

LOL

so much people talking about Rock band ...

what matter is DANCE CENTRAL and KINECT !

not some old gen rock band game !

Time to Work !

priteshmodi said:

I don't think what they do is "Music Games" completely. In fact I'd say they're more in the business of finding new ways to play. Sure all their games are music oriented but the other common factor is that they all provide unique experiences from the rest of the games out there. They like reinventing and re-establishing genres. Case: They made the original Guitar Heroes. After doing so twice they got tired of doing the same thing and decided to split off and make Rock Band; a similar game with an entirely new dynamic of playing as a team. They've only reinvented that further with the marketplace, improved instruments greater resembling their real counterparts and creative game modes. Now they come out with Dance Central - another game with no true competitor in experience.

Microsofthas much to gain from purchasing Harmonix. They just released Kinect. Harmonix is known for making peripheral driven games with new experiences given their track record. It's not so much the franchises they will be getting now... it's the future franchises that Harmonix could possibly come out with to make Kinect even more appealing.

Whether MS is actually considering this purchase is beyond my knowledge. I can only comment that I think it's a good fit. MS is restructuring their first party studios. Ensemble is closed, yes, but a great deal of the team went on to form new studios with MS's help. For example, Robot Entertainment is set to release a new FTP Age of Empires published by MGS. I do wish they left Ensemble alone but it's not all doom and gloom.

Unlike Ensemble and Bungie, Harmonix develops more unique experiences that resonate with a very broad audience and different audience. Ensemble and Bungie both delivered top notch games but they did so in a very highly populated and competitive market. Harmonix on the other hand has either invented new genres or redefined the standards with their games. For MS this makes Harmonix look very promising when you consider Kinect and what Harmonix have already managed to do with it. None of MS's other internal studios do this out of the box development. They all provide core experiences to well established genres (ie. racers, shooters, action-adventures, RPGs, RTSs).

Let's pray Activision doesn't pick them up. I'd be happy settling with ANY other outcome (barring no one losing their job)

I've been hankering to get into a good discussion with a fellow Canadian

I think you give Harmonix alittle too much credit. Ther were other great music instrument games before GuitarHero and Rockband. Harmonix looks at the music genre and sees potential, they seem to like making things feel more real. They didn't want another Maracas or drums game they thought man we could do exactly what these guys are doing with Guitars and it would be a huge hit. Then they saw how much people loved faking to play the Guitar that they decided to go and give gamers drums and they saw how much success Sony was having with SingStar and decided why not give consumers all three experiances together. That is hardly innovation, then RockBand 3 with the real instruments well Power Gig thought of that too, they simply launched the idea everyone was having. Geez I was at PAX and I played the new game "The Gig" which is essentially the same thing as RockBand and Power Gig. Not to mention the other ones on display at PAX seriously their was like five.

Then theirs dancing. Konami and others have created DDR and other Dance games that defined and created a new genre of gaming. Natal gets announced and Harmonix is again not the first to come up with a great idea. Alongside Harmonix Konami the company that really brought us the dance Genre also has Dance Masters. Both products are nearly identacle except for the obvious better sound track for Dance Central and an obviously larger budget.

But when has Harmonix actually created something unique that nobody else was doing? They had a niche market with RockBand, GuitarHero and now Dance Central. But they fail to hold onto that Niche, they don't offer consumers enough new content to drive future software. Many have said we expect Dance Central 2 in the next year or two if the first is successful. Then maybe they will expand into another music driven game I dunno, the music game developers  are grasping at straws with titles like DJHero for example. The music games industry is getting crowded and Harmonix does offer top of the line music based games but what else can they offer? Not to mention others offer those same experiances and more and more studios are playing follow the leader entering an over loaded market.

When Microsoft is cutting staff closing studios and letting others go independant it doesn't make sense for them to spend over 90-mill (Estimated price MTV wants) on a studio that doesn't actually offer any intellectual properties. A large reason Microsoft bought Rare and Bungie was for their IP's it wasn't the staff in the studio so much as the marketability of the games. Here's what Microsoft knows would happen if they bought Harmonix, several staff probubly many high ranking and critical ones would choose to leave the company and form new studios. They would have to clean house and hire tons of new staff with little to know experiance with Harmonix titles. Then they would be left with a studio that has two IP's and none of its critical staff left.

Now lets say on the off chance that all the staff is retained. What games can they do outside their genre (Music/Rythm games?) I mention Ensemble because they were very similiar they created great AAA quality RTS games now they closed and guess what the staff forming new studios all want to make RTS games. It was in Microsoft's best interest to groom Robot Entertainment is taking over for Ensemble with AOE.

It just doesn't make much sense to buy a studio who has never actually been outside the music games market. Without any IP's to offer (RockBand barely sells now) in a saturated music market. Where is the benefit for Microsoft?

Also yah I love debating and chatting with other Canadians!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

It makes sense for MS to do this and I expect that they will

Around the Network

Well its official the music games biz is going down. Activision just closed BudCat the developers of Band Hero and most of the recent Guitar Hero games. So don't worry fellow gamers Activision isn't likely to invest a whopping 90-mill on a developer to make games in a dead genre.

I think Konami might be interested though, if Dance Central goes over very well they might want to pick up the IP and studio to make future dance games. But again since MTV spent over 90-mill on the studio I doubt they will sell for less or at least they will try not to sell for less.

I really hope Konami takes them or MTV changes their mind because Dance Central does amazing.

-JC7

From my personal sight as a gamer, I think Microsoft should rather buy Remedy because they make absloute unique games in an great quality.

But from the sight of Microsoft Harmonix would be a better deal, Harmonix make gerat games many peopele like there Games. There Games bring a lot of many, they would bring more money then the games of Remedy ( this is sad because i love the games from Remedy)and Harmonix fit perfekt for Kinect.

Joelcool7 said:

I think you give Harmonix alittle too much credit. Ther were other great music instrument games before GuitarHero and Rockband. Harmonix looks at the music genre and sees potential, they seem to like making things feel more real. They didn't want another Maracas or drums game they thought man we could do exactly what these guys are doing with Guitars and it would be a huge hit. Then they saw how much people loved faking to play the Guitar that they decided to go and give gamers drums and they saw how much success Sony was having with SingStar and decided why not give consumers all three experiances together. That is hardly innovation, then RockBand 3 with the real instruments well Power Gig thought of that too, they simply launched the idea everyone was having. Geez I was at PAX and I played the new game "The Gig" which is essentially the same thing as RockBand and Power Gig. Not to mention the other ones on display at PAX seriously their was like five.

The fact that they did these things and got them right before anyone else is what makes them a quality and visionary dev. It's much like Apple. The concept of the tablet was toyed with before Apple launched the iPad. The iPad did it right and thus is a huge success and credit is given to Apple for the tablet Marketplace. Same with the touch screen cell-phone. The LG Prada came before the iPhone but again Apple did it the way consumers wanted and enjoyed it. Guitar Hero, Rock Band and now Dance Central are experiencing the same type of success. Everything they've touched has been quality and genre redefining. It's engraved into the mainstream consumers' minds that Harmonix did it right and better than anyone on multiple occassions and that brand association with quality is something that's incredibly hard to change. Apple has had failures and shortcomings (antenna problems, faulty graphics chips in macbooks, etc.) but consumers still consider their products heavily and ignore these issues. If MS buys Harmonix and they create a new experience, they've got a great marketing back for whatever it is just by saying "They changed the music game industry and redefined dance games... From the creators of Guitar Hero, Rock Band and Dance Central...". Yes there are competitors that are doing what Harmonix has already done but that's what they will be seen as by the mainstream; alternatives to the original.

Then theirs dancing. Konami and others have created DDR and other Dance games that defined and created a new genre of gaming. Natal gets announced and Harmonix is again not the first to come up with a great idea. Alongside Harmonix Konami the company that really brought us the dance Genre also has Dance Masters. Both products are nearly identacle except for the obvious better sound track for Dance Central and an obviously larger budget.

Again they are the first to execute the great idea well and that's really all that matters when it comes to mindshare. And market share follows mindshare. As far as being identical products, one clearly has taken the market by storm and will be getting a stronger following for the reasons mentioned above. 

But when has Harmonix actually created something unique that nobody else was doing? They had a niche market with RockBand, GuitarHero and now Dance Central. But they fail to hold onto that Niche, they don't offer consumers enough new content to drive future software. Many have said we expect Dance Central 2 in the next year or two if the first is successful. Then maybe they will expand into another music driven game I dunno, the music game developers  are grasping at straws with titles like DJHero for example. The music games industry is getting crowded and Harmonix does offer top of the line music based games but what else can they offer? Not to mention others offer those same experiances and more and more studios are playing follow the leader entering an over loaded market.

Harmonix created the music game Frequency which was launched in 2001 and a follow up called Amplitude  in 2003. That's extremely early in the creation of the music game genre. It's undeniable that they played a big role in carving out the genre and an even bigger role in making it a mainstream success with Guitar Hero. Benefits of this console gen is a short term way of looking at things. When next gen rolls around the entire playing field will again be a blank slate and MS and Harmonix can simply jump on and establish market dominance in the entire genre. Competitors will again only be seen as alternatives (looking back at the smartphone market) and Harmonix will find success due to their established name as long as their products remain quality. In the meantime they may help MS define their experiences on new markets. Other companies have done music/gesture games on handhelds. MS just releaased Windows Phone 7. There's a perfect opportunity for both companies to establish dominance and appeal in a growing market and again finding a way of doing it right for that format. There are a number of things Harmonix can help MS with. It could even boil down to creating something special for WMP and WMC which would only be available for Windows operating platforms.

When Microsoft is cutting staff closing studios and letting others go independant it doesn't make sense for them to spend over 90-mill (Estimated price MTV wants) on a studio that doesn't actually offer any intellectual properties. A large reason Microsoft bought Rare and Bungie was for their IP's it wasn't the staff in the studio so much as the marketability of the games. Here's what Microsoft knows would happen if they bought Harmonix, several staff probubly many high ranking and critical ones would choose to leave the company and form new studios. They would have to clean house and hire tons of new staff with little to know experiance with Harmonix titles. Then they would be left with a studio that has two IP's and none of its critical staff left.

They were restructuring MGS during the economy meltdown. The closures and sell-offs were known well before they actually happened. Ensemble knew a good 8 months or so before Halo Wars even launched that it would be there last project as Ensemble. MS even helped existing employees form a new studio and are funding their first project as I said earlier. You can't simply look at only the closures. Along the way they also created the internal Fire team and 343 Studios. So really the only loss in terms of first party is Bizarre Creations.  You also speak as if it's a guarantee Harmonix will fall apart if bought. Did Ensemble fall apart when initally bought by MS? Did Bungie? Bizarre? Rare is but one example where that happened. It has equal chance og going either way. That's also not an excuse for why MS shouldn't buy them as that's equally possible for any potential buyer.

Now lets say on the off chance that all the staff is retained. What games can they do outside their genre (Music/Rythm games?) I mention Ensemble because they were very similiar they created great AAA quality RTS games now they closed and guess what the staff forming new studios all want to make RTS games. It was in Microsoft's best interest to groom Robot Entertainment is taking over for Ensemble with AOE.

It doesn't necessarily have to be outside of their genre. It just has to be different to what they've already done. They could be used to offer their talents to emerging or untouched markets (Windows Media and Windows Phone 7) or something like making a cross platform music studio that syncs up between your 360, Windows Phone and PC through your Live account. Something where you can generate music based on pre-recorded sounds, synthesized musical notes of a plethora of instruments and be able to publish it to popular online services, put it up for sale on a marketplace.... Pretty much doing for music what youtube has done for self created videos.

It just doesn't make much sense to buy a studio who has never actually been outside the music games market. Without any IP's to offer (RockBand barely sells now) in a saturated music market. Where is the benefit for Microsoft?

It's not so much the products they have released that I'd be interested in if I was MS. It's the skills that they've picked up (identifying user interface experience problems and overcoming them excellently, creating an unnoticed marketplace, knowing their music and sounds, programming new ideas from scratch, etc.). These skills would allow them to come up with great products based on great ideas in more than just the gaming realm. Hell, I'm a 22 year old kid on the interwebs coming up with these ideas. Imagine would MS and Harmonix could think up. I would be absolutely honored if they read this and even considered one of my ideas good enough to pursue.

This is my first actual civil discussion on this site and I must say I'm greatly enjoying it. Looking forward to some great rebuttals.

libellule said:

LOL

so much people talking about Rock band ...

what matter is DANCE CENTRAL and KINECT !

not some old gen rock band game !

People talk about Rock Band because it absolutely stomps anything else in the music rhythm genre. 

priteshmodi said:

This is my first actual civil discussion on this site and I must say I'm greatly enjoying it. Looking forward to some great rebuttals.

Wow, sort of suprised this is your first civilized discussion on VGChartz. Glad to have this civil debate with you.

The fact that they did these things and got them right before anyone else is what makes them a quality and visionary dev. It's much like Apple. The concept of the tablet was toyed with before Apple launched the iPad. The iPad did it right and thus is a huge success and credit is given to Apple for the tablet Marketplace. Same with the touch screen cell-phone. The LG Prada came before the iPhone but again Apple did it the way consumers wanted and enjoyed it. Guitar Hero, Rock Band and now Dance Central are experiencing the same type of success. Everything they've touched has been quality and genre redefining. It's engraved into the mainstream consumers' minds that Harmonix did it right and better than anyone on multiple occassions and that brand association with quality is something that's incredibly hard to change. Apple has had failures and shortcomings (antenna problems, faulty graphics chips in macbooks, etc.) but consumers still consider their products heavily and ignore these issues. If MS buys Harmonix and they create a new experience, they've got a great marketing back for whatever it is just by saying "They changed the music game industry and redefined dance games... From the creators of Guitar Hero, Rock Band and Dance Central...". Yes there are competitors that are doing what Harmonix has already done but that's what they will be seen as by the mainstream; alternatives to the original.

Your absolutely right Harmonix has definatly improved on existing idea's big time. They also have that unique partnership with MTV which gives them a music edge over competition. Its true they have created great alternatives. No argument there.

Again they are the first to execute the great idea well and that's really all that matters when it comes to mindshare. And market share follows mindshare. As far as being identical products, one clearly has taken the market by storm and will be getting a stronger following for the reasons mentioned above.

The question of mind share. If you go around asking gamers what their favorite Harmonix game is, I bet most will be like "Who". Now I'm not saying asking at PAX or a game convention. Just asking normal gamers, the mind share isn't going to be nearly as high as it is for us educated gamers. But if you asked what did you like better Guitar Hero or RockBand then you might get answers. I believe franchising is what drives market share and mind share. Brand awareness is what drives these things. Harmonix as a brand is little known outside the hardcore gaming world. Its the franchises that are known and drive the marketshare.

Harmonix created the music game Frequency which was launched in 2001 and a follow up called Amplitude  in 2003. That's extremely early in the creation of the music game genre. It's undeniable that they played a big role in carving out the genre and an even bigger role in making it a mainstream success with Guitar Hero. Benefits of this console gen is a short term way of looking at things. When next gen rolls around the entire playing field will again be a blank slate and MS and Harmonix can simply jump on and establish market dominance in the entire genre. Competitors will again only be seen as alternatives (looking back at the smartphone market) and Harmonix will find success due to their established name as long as their products remain quality. In the meantime they may help MS define their experiences on new markets. Other companies have done music/gesture games on handhelds. MS just releaased Windows Phone 7. There's a perfect opportunity for both companies to establish dominance and appeal in a growing market and again finding a way of doing it right for that format. There are a number of things Harmonix can help MS with. It could even boil down to creating something special for WMP and WMC which would only be available for Windows operating platforms.

Yes their are plenty of things Harmonix could do if bought by Microsoft. But not much Microsoft themselves couldn't do without Harmonix. Infact if you and I can think of great idea's why couldn't Microsoft themselves come up with these idea's? Again Harmonix while being a great studio doesn't offer much that Microsoft can't do without them and there for why purchase them?

They were restructuring MGS during the economy meltdown. The closures and sell-offs were known well before they actually happened. Ensemble knew a good 8 months or so before Halo Wars even launched that it would be there last project as Ensemble. MS even helped existing employees form a new studio and are funding their first project as I said earlier. You can't simply look at only the closures. Along the way they also created the internal Fire team and 343 Studios. So really the only loss in terms of first party is Bizarre Creations.  You also speak as if it's a guarantee Harmonix will fall apart if bought. Did Ensemble fall apart when initally bought by MS? Did Bungie? Bizarre? Rare is but one example where that happened. It has equal chance og going either way. That's also not an excuse for why MS shouldn't buy them as that's equally possible for any potential buyer.

Actually yes the purchase of those studio did cause the companies to fall apart. AOE for example was big in 1990's and AOE:Age Of Kings is credited for many advancements in the RTS genre. However after getting aquired by Microsoft several staff left the studio and the studio reworked how they made RTS games. The games they released as a Microsoft studio (Age Of Mythology and AOE 3, HaloWars) were arguably no where near as good as AOE and Age Of Kings. What about Bungie? again shortly after Microsoft took over staff began to leave the company. Alexander Seropian  one of the co-founders of Bungie got upset with Microsoft's handling of Bungie and left to form his own studio (WideLoadGames) Other founders and even many of the creators of Halo began leaving in droves between 2003-2009. Before finally Microsoft let Bungie go independant. In most cases when a studio gets bought up by a publisher it looses core staff.  Notice of the studios you mentioned two are either closed or close to being closed, one has gone independant.

It doesn't necessarily have to be outside of their genre. It just has to be different to what they've already done. They could be used to offer their talents to emerging or untouched markets (Windows Media and Windows Phone 7) or something like making a cross platform music studio that syncs up between your 360, Windows Phone and PC through your Live account. Something where you can generate music based on pre-recorded sounds, synthesized musical notes of a plethora of instruments and be able to publish it to popular online services, put it up for sale on a marketplace.... Pretty much doing for music what youtube has done for self created videos.

Good idea's but as I said earlier if you can come up with these idea's whats stopping Microsoft's internal teams with coming up with equally good ideas without Harmonix? For example Microsoft could form their own music based studio, hire some of the BudCat team that worked on Band Hero and Guitar Hero. Maybe hire some Harmonix staff and mix in some of Microsoft's existing staff. Whoola you have a great music genre studio that could probubly produce better games then Harmonix and at half the cost or even less. Why buy a studio with no valuable IP's, when you can create your own new studio like Microsoft did with 343Studios? No need to blow 90-mill.

It's not so much the products they have released that I'd be interested in if I was MS. It's the skills that they've picked up (identifying user interface experience problems and overcoming them excellently, creating an unnoticed marketplace, knowing their music and sounds, programming new ideas from scratch, etc.). These skills would allow them to come up with great products based on great ideas in more than just the gaming realm. Hell, I'm a 22 year old kid on the interwebs coming up with these ideas. Imagine would MS and Harmonix could think up. I would be absolutely honored if they read this and even considered one of my ideas good enough to pursue.

Exactly imagine what Microsoft could come up with, on their own without Harmonix. Then tell me that it is worth 90-mill for Microsoft to purchase Harmonix? The only way I see it benefiting Microsoft is if perhaps they secured an exclusive agreement with MTV for music content in all Microsoft's future games. If Microsoft could aquire the liscenses and support of MTV then it might be worth it. But for the stand alone studio I really doubt its worth all the trouble.

Plus Market share for Harmonix games has gone to hell. Also when BudCat took over Guitar Hero it continued to sell well without Harmonix. Again its brand recognition that drives mind share and market share. Now that RockBand and Guitar Hero brands are waining they are no longer valueble. Even Activision realizes that , I mean they closed BudCat which was arguably Harmonix only real competition in the music genre.

The fact that MTV wants to sell also shows that Harmonix just isn't worth what they were a few years ago. Their brand's and IP's and even their quality has diminished. Once taken over that would continue to deminish.

-JC7