By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Donkey Kong Country Returns is coming Dec 9 to Japan

TheSource said:

The last Mario Bros. game on a console (besides Yoshi's Island) did well 20 years ago and the new one, NSMB Wii is still on pace to sell 25m copies or whatever. Why would you expect a disconnect with DKC over a shorter period?  Returns should be bigger than DKC in the West since the Wii base is double (65m) the SNES base (32m) and comparable to DKC in Japan given the Wii base (10.8m) is only 20% smaller than SNES (12.9m) was when DKC released.

Your theory doesn't hold if we analize, for example, Kirby sales on the Wii vs the previous consoles.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network

It wont be that big, there havent be any 500k selling DK game in the last 10 years

Well i mean even though mario 2D stopped coming in japan, but mario was still there! they still got M64 and sunshine that did 1.9mil and 800k respectively... DK had donkey konga(considered not one of the main series) on the GC that did around 600k, but hasnt been here this gen. Anything is possible, and i sure expect it to be bg in japan, but just how big? 500k plus  or 1.5 mil plus , well it's all possible imo. We can at least look at preorders to know where it might stand

I think people are gonna be surprised at how well this game does in Japan. This is totally their type of game, despite being from a western developer.

How much is considered big in Japan. 100k, 300k or 500k?

Around the Network
MANUELF said:

It wont be that big, there havent be any 500k selling DK game in the last 10 years

Maybe it's because there weren't any mainstream DK games? I would never buy those crappy DK games on the GC at all.

Linkasf said:
MANUELF said:

Maybe it's because there weren't any mainstream DK games? I would never buy those crappy DK games on the GC at all.

ehi, jungle beat was a really brilliant game, if only it wasn't so short

Become a fan of I Love Videogames on facebook! The most updated and fun italian videogame fanpage on facebook! click here!

Also visit I Love Videogames: a new and fresh italian videogaming site! click here!

Linkasf said:
MANUELF said:

donkey kong jungle beat>>>>>>>>>>>>dkc...that is all 

I'll be there to get it on day 1. Can't wait!

Need something off Play-Asia? http://www.play-asia.com/

Baddman said:
Linkasf said:
MANUELF said:

donkey kong jungle beat>>>>>>>>>>>>dkc...that is all 

Sorry man but I disagree with you completely. ;)