By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Black Ops Wii-First review from ONM-Official Nintendo Magazine

Here is the first review for Black Ops Wii. Score at bottom page.

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=21287.

Anyone concerned that the Wii version of Black Ops would be a shonky port shouldn't worry. Black Ops on the Wii is more or less identical to its HD brothers in terms of game modes, even if it can't compare when it comes to graphical oomph. Anyone concerned that the Wii version of Black Ops would be a shonky port shouldn't worry. Black Ops on the Wii is more or less identical to its HD brothers in terms of game modes, even if it can't compare when it comes to graphical oomph.

Black Ops is set during the Cold War (mainly the 1960s era) so you'll be fighting through communist countries such as Cuba, Russia, Vietnam as you get caught up in situations involving Fidel Castro and President Kennedy. It's an interesting setting and the globetrotting keeps things fresh.

War D'ya Think Of That
Visually, the game's a huge improvement over last year's Modern Warfare. There aren't too many ropey textures, the frame rate is smooth for the most part (though it does fall apart a bit when things get frantic) and the explosion and smoke effects are decent enough.

Unfortunately, the enemy AI is a bit rubbish with many any of your enemies refusing to take cover, leaving themselves fully exposed. However, poor enemy AI isn't unique to the Wii version of the game.

So the single-player campaign is enjoyable, but Call Of Duty was always about the multiplayer and the Wii version of Black Ops is no different. Like GoldenEye, this can handle loads of players at once with no noticeable lag.

The standard Call Of Duty online multiplayer is present, and earning XP and getting new perks and weapons is still as addictive and rewarding as ever. Possibly more interesting though is the new Wager Match option, which features four multiplayer modes that have players betting 'CoD Points' on the outcome.

These new modes offer great takes on the standard deathmatch theme. One In The Chamber gives you only one bullet. If you hit someone when you shoot, you get another bullet. If you miss, you lose the bullet and are stuck with your knife until you die, so accuracy is vital.

Duty And The Beast
Finally, the famous Zombies mode makes its Nintendo debut. This puts you (either on your own or with a bunch of mates) in a big sealed area as Nazi zombies are trying to get in from the outside. Playing Zombies mode with a few other friends is a great laugh.

The main grievance we have with online multiplayer is the complete lack of support for WiiSpeak. You can use a special 'Headbanger Headset' for voice chat, but this is a slap in the face for gamers who bought WiiSpeak for voice chat in games like The Conduit and now have to spend another £25 so they can do exactly the same thing.

This aside, it's easily one of the best online multiplayer games on the Wii. If you're trying to decide whether you should get this or GoldenEye, it really comes down to whether you want both local and online multiplayer, since Black Ops doesn't have local split-screen multiplayer. Both games, however, are superb Wii shooters that we strongly recommend.

Black Ops on Wii is a fantastic shooter packed with all the features of its HD brothers, with the only exception being split-screen multiplayer.

Incredible online multiplayer
  Zombies mode is fun
  Looks great for the Wii
  Tight, customisable controls
  No local multiplayer

 

Around the Network

Nowhere seems to mention anything like the 'chop till you drop' treatment in Nazi Zombies.

Thank you Treyarch for no gimp-ment!

Cant wait to play it. Just waiting for Amazon.

I suppose that now we will see wii version beating at least the ps3 version.

Antabus said:

You mean reviews or sales? Actually don't bother, not gonna happen either way.

Around the Network
blunty51 said:
Antabus said:

Sales. I've seen a lot of reasons why a wii game does not sell as well as the hd-versions. Now those usual reasons don't apply (gimped,old/lame port,no marketing,not a big ip and whatever), so the game will sell more than those hd-versions.

Antabus said:
blunty51 said:
Antabus said:

Sales. I've seen a lot of reasons why a wii game does not sell as well as the hd-versions. Now those usual reasons don't apply (gimped,old/lame port,no marketing,not a big ip and whatever), so the game will sell more than those hd-versions.

That would be amazing.

Antabus said:
blunty51 said:
Antabus said:

If that happens, then it will definitely boggle many minds. Mine certainly will.

Great score! As for sales i don't think it will outsell HD versions, not even close, but it could become the best selling CoD on the Wii so far because it isn't dumbed down at all!

Antabus said:
blunty51 said:
Antabus said:

In the beginning people did believe, justifiably, that those reasons were the reason why a multi-plat Wii game failed to outsell its HD cousins. However, with this particular genre at this stage in the generation its just not going to happen as those who play this genre and own an HD console would generally want the overall experience on the HD console over the Wii for this type of game.

I am a big Nintendo fanboy, however, if I were to buy a FPS game that came out on both systems  (my wii and my PS3), I'd end up choosing the PS3 version. I do prefer the Wii's controls, but with this type of game the better graphics and local multiplayer just make it the better purchase. Now, had Wii also had the local split screen, then I'd probably stick to the Wii version as the controls alone trump the better graphics.