By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Motion Controller Lag Comparison (Wii,Move,Kinect)

those wii remotes figures are the same with or without the motion plus?

Around the Network

The lag with Kinect doesnt annoy me. When playing i even dont recognize it really... just bought Dance Central and Kinect Sports for 40EUR each. I love kinect and how good it actually works.

Video: Samsung 37" LCD, Topfield 7700HSCI (HD-Sat), Denon DVD-2500BT (BluRay), Denon DVD-1940 (DVD)
Audio: Teufel System 5 THX @ Denon AVR 1910
Consoles: Homebrew Xbox 360 (500GB), Xbox 360 Slim (4GB) + Kinect, Homebrew Nintendo Wii, Homebrew Playstation 3 Slim (250GB)

A hero need not speak. When he is gone, the world will speak for him - BELIEVE

Counti said:

The lag with Kinect doesnt annoy me. When playing i even dont recognize it really... just bought Dance Central and Kinect Sports for 40EUR each. I love kinect and how good it actually works.

It entirely depends on the type of game. You simply can't expect games like rail shooters (think House of the Dead) that require lightning-fast reflexes. Dancing games shouldbe just fine on Kinect.

"Well certainly with the Xbox 360, we had some challenges at the launch. Once we identified that we took control of it. We wanted to do it right by our customers. Our customers are very important to us." -Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb (10/2013). Note: RRoD was fixed with the Jasper-revision 3 years after the launch of 360

"People don't pay attention to a lot of the details."-Yusuf Mehdi explaining why Xbone DRM scheme would succeed

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360,”-Don Mattrick

"The region locking of the 3DS wasn't done for profits on games"-MDMAlliance

I have the Wii and the Kinect and personally the Wii has more of a noticeable lag then the Kinect. It comes down to this, whether or not all the Kinect technology is new or if pieces are taken from other products, it does do it better then it's predecessors. If there were not haters in the world, there wouldn't be any need for internet forums. So hate on......

Paul

Troll always troll.

Good article... and I guess online games had more lag yet because internet connection... maybe some cases near 0,5 second lag is not impossible and very very noticeable.

Around the Network

According to that numbers the Move has less lag than Wii Remote, it's funny but everyone (including me) that have a Wii and tries out the Move have a different opinion. Where did you get those numbers?

Supposedly the IR technology on the Wii Remote is much more responsive than a common camera even if the camera captures movement at 60 fps.

Am i wrong with my statement?

Damnyouall said:

Apparently this isn't common knowledge, so a new thread is in order.

Hardware Latency:

Playstation Move: 22 milliseconds
Wii Remote: 50 milliseconds
Kinect: 100-150 milliseconds (the cam runs at 30hz=30fps, this alone translates to a minimum of ~100ms lag)

This is the speed at which the hardware reacts; no amount of software tweaking can improve it. Add to this the unavoidable delay caused by the software side: For modern console games, the additional software lag appears to be between 55 and 130ms. Some bad offenders such as GTA IV have even more, around 180ms.

Lowest Possible Total Lag:

Playstation Move: 78 milliseconds
Wii Remote: 105 milliseconds
Kinect: 175 milliseconds

Average Total Lag:
Playstation Move: 115 milliseconds
Wii Remote: 143 milliseconds
Kinect: 218 milliseconds

This is why the lag in Kinect games is much more noticable than for Wii and Move: http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/kinect-latency-tests

do you have any sources for those numbers? i couldn't find them on that page

Counti said:

Dance Central doesn't track real moves... just track points and gesses the better pre-defined move.

Kinect Sports I don't know.

QuarantineStudio said:

I have the Wii and the Kinect and personally the Wii has more of a noticeable lag then the Kinect.

Yeah i did notice this too. And the wii mote often has problems recognizing my moves correctly whereas with kinect i dont have such problems.

Dont know why... but kinect works better for me.

ethomaz said:

Dance Central doesn't track real moves... just track points and gesses the better pre-defined move.

Kinect Sports I don't know.

Kinect Sports and Adventures does track your moves, cause your avatar does act like you in these games. It does the same moves as you do.

Video: Samsung 37" LCD, Topfield 7700HSCI (HD-Sat), Denon DVD-2500BT (BluRay), Denon DVD-1940 (DVD)
Audio: Teufel System 5 THX @ Denon AVR 1910
Consoles: Homebrew Xbox 360 (500GB), Xbox 360 Slim (4GB) + Kinect, Homebrew Nintendo Wii, Homebrew Playstation 3 Slim (250GB)

A hero need not speak. When he is gone, the world will speak for him - BELIEVE

FAMEL said:

According to that numbers the Move has less lag than Wii Remote, it's funny but everyone (including me) that have a Wii and tries out the Move have a different opinion. Where did you get those numbers?

Supposedly the IR technology on the Wii Remote is much more responsive than a common camera even if the camera captures movement at 60 fps.

Am i wrong with my statement?

Maybe but the Table Tennis for Move is much more reponsible than similar on Wii with Remote Plus... the Wii version doesn't track all movements.