By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - What is your favorite part about Kinect?

First off, lets keep to the trolling to a minimum.  We don't care that you think the Kinect is a copy of the Eyetoy, requires a lot of space, barely works, or any other troll post you might make.  If you don't have anything positive to say, don't bother posting in this thread.  This isn't the thread for that.

Now that that's over with, what is your favorite part of Kinect?

I've had a blast with friends playing Kinect Adventures and Your Shape was pretty cool in that it's an actual workout that destroyed my legs the first time I played (it made me do four sets of lunges in a row, my legs still hurt!) but I don't think that's my favorite part.  I do think controlling the Kinect HUB with my hand is fun and it's nice to be able to lounge and control it, but it can be finicky and isn't really my favorite part either.  Using ESPN and Zune was pretty cool, but ESPN didn't seem to have a lot of options and Zune's UI was hard to navigate.

My favorite part has been the voice commands.  They just work, they're awesome, and they can only get better.

Right now they're pretty limited but even with the limited options it's still just damn cool.  I like just being able to say "Xbox, play disc" and your game starts.  That's neat but that's not the real reason I like that feature the best.

I was cleaning my home yesterday and had Last.fm playing as I usually do.  I was in the kitchen doing dishes when a song came on that I didn't really feel like.  Usually I would just have to put up with the song or dry my hands, get my remote, and go to the next song but then I realized I had Kinect.  I didn't expect it to work all the way in the kitchen while facing away with the water running so I said in a bold void "Xbox, next" and to my surprise it worked!

I was in awe.

So the whole two-ish hours it takes me to clean my home I was happy to be able to have complete control over my music without having to take any sort of break from cleaning.  I couldn't get it to work while vacuuming (I even tried standing directly in front of my Kinect and yelling but no luck there) but it was still a pretty awesome experience.

I can't wait until they add more voice commands, as I said it can only get better.

Around the Network
twesterm said:

I was cleaning my home yesterday and had Last.fm playing as I usually do.  I was in the kitchen doing dishes when a song came on that I didn't really feel like.  Usually I would just have to put up with the song or dry my hands, get my remote, and go to the next song but then I realized I had Kinect.  I didn't expect it to work all the way in the kitchen while facing away with the water running so I said in a bold void "Xbox, next" and to my surprise it worked!

That is awesome. I'd get it just for this. The amount of time i've been in the same position, doing the washing up when a crap Vidzone tune comes on...

If only Sony :(

Atari 2600, Sega Mega Drive, Game Boy, Game Boy Advanced, N64, Playstation, Xbox, PSP Phat, PSP 3000, and PS3 60gb (upgraded to 320gb), NDS

Linux Ubuntu user

Favourite game: Killzone 3

I have only tried one session of table tennis, so my experience is pretty limited, but voice commands are definitely what I'm most excited about. Using your body for interacting with your content is definitely exciting too, but good voice command is something I've been crazy about having more of since I played EndWar. Hopefully it'll start getting used in games soon, I really hope there is a lot to do with it once I get a Kinect at some point.

I always thought that this device could have a lot of potential as a control of interfaces, but I am not interested in it as a gaming control.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

1.Dance Central Demo, damn that game is fun (my wife was laughing hard@ my moves the whole time)

2.Adventures, I am working my way to Avanced Level. My body sore today after 30 mins of non stop work outs from that game. It is also fun!

3. the Voice commands, and the hand gestures gives me that futuristic feelings.

Around the Network

I have yet to personally experience Kinect so for the time being my favourite part about Kinect are the youtube videos of people getting hurt.

Soon I'll have a go at it when people stop hogging it at Best Buy and FutureShop.

Hey there,

i got mine today, 2 days earlier (i live in germany) :D

So long, my favorite part about Kinect is that it really does work very well, even in my small room. Just played adventures and the dance central demo, but its fun as hell. Cant wait to see what other developers do with kinect.

Cant use the voice commands thought... its locked till next year in none english countries. Maybe i can get it to work if i create a US account.. will test that later.

Overall, i really like kinect and hope it sells very well.

Greetz

Video: Samsung 37" LCD, Topfield 7700HSCI (HD-Sat), Denon DVD-2500BT (BluRay), Denon DVD-1940 (DVD)
Audio: Teufel System 5 THX @ Denon AVR 1910
Consoles: Homebrew Xbox 360 (500GB), Xbox 360 Slim (4GB) + Kinect, Homebrew Nintendo Wii, Homebrew Playstation 3 Slim (250GB)

A hero need not speak. When he is gone, the world will speak for him - BELIEVE

I have enjoyed the voice commands as well but there is somthing wrong with the make me a sandwich command it doesn't detect my voice correctly with or without vacums.

"They think I'm crazy, but I know better. It is not I who am crazy, it is I who am MAD!"

"Bolshe, luchshe, I kruche"

roland32 said:

I have enjoyed the voice commands as well but there is somthing wrong with the make me a sandwich command it doesn't detect my voice correctly with or without vacums.

You're probably not saying the correct command: Xbox, emit sandwiches.

when you issue voice commands do you speak in a casual manner. or do you have to say it robotic and in a loud clear voice?

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...