By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii 2 Definitely NOT in 2011

What kind of expansion could have the Wii?

Around the Network

I have no money for it, the Wii is still doing good (tracking above PS2) and X360 and PS3 are not selling that bad too.

Add 3DS to the equation and you got rough competition for the N6.

I wouldn't mind seing it release in 2011 though, but I wouldn't buy it.

Interesting graphs indeed:

Beuli2 said:

Surpise, surprise. When talking about th PS3 having a 10 years plan, everyone instantly believes, but when they say Wii 2 won't be released there are a lot of doubters.

Because what Sony reps usally do in public is spew PR BS, while Iwata constantly give us interesting inside info and food for thought like this^

Unfortunately for Nintendo fans, there will not be a Wii 2 in 2011.  It just flat out doesn't make any sense for them.  Why release a new console to absolutely kill the legs of your current one?   Looking at the graphics, it's obvious why Nintendo doesn't feel it needs a new console out yet.   I honestly believe you won't see a new Nintendo console till Late 2013 /  Early 2014 at the earliest.    The DS has been in stagnation / decline in Japan since around  early 2008. Similar trending in America since early 2009.

Nintendo should be in no hurry to release a new console as the market leader.  Sony and Microsoft aren't going to be in a hurry either as they're actually being successful in 2nd / 3rd place. 

revealed in 2012-2013

released in 2013-2015

Around the Network
Beuli2 said:

Surpise, surprise. When talking about th PS3 having a 10 years plan, everyone instantly believes, but when they say Wii 2 won't be released there are a lot of doubters.

I wouldn't take this as a slight against the Wii ...

We are rapidly approaching a point in the generation where everyone who is interested in console videogames will own a console (or more) and the only way to grow your userbase will be to attract new people into videogames or to convince owners of your competition's console to buy your system; neither of which is a particularly easy thing to accomplish, especially when the image you've built around your system may be in opposition to what these consumers are interested in.

At this point in time a new system is increasingly attractive to each of the console manufacturers because it is a blank slate, they can re-sell their system to their "Base" and push new concepts in gaming to try to appeal to new gamers and other console owners.

Many PS3 or XBox 360 fans may not be as willing to accept this and may believe this (in part) because they believe the new add-on devices for their systems will be able to meaninfully expand the life of the system. While there may be some truth to this, and (if amazingly successful) they could make the console live 12 months longer, it is mostly based on unrealistic expectations.

I would say it will be shown at e3 2012 and it will come out sometime in fall 2012/2013.

"To play or not to play, that is the question."- A wise man

Lifetime sales prediction

Wii 79/150 million

Xbox 360 47.7/73 Million

PS3 43.6/69 Million

Mr Khan said:
Beuli2 said:

Because both are lies. PS3 won't go any longer than 7 years without replacement at the absolute most, with 6 being the more likely one, and likely Wii 2 is coming, but it's obviously in Nintendo's interest to deny it

The misunderstanding is born from people on opposite fronts, both Sony fans and haters, that want to see a "10 years plan" for what it isn't. A 10 year plan can mean 6-7 years on the market as main console, as you write, and keeping on selling it as long as enough people buy it after the successive console is released and becomes the main console. PS2 is completing a ~10 yrs plan, but it was the main offer just for ~6yrs. And obviously, also Wii should be able to do the same, if not better, while PS3 could do roughly the same in time, thanks to having peaked later than Wii, but reaching lower total lifetime sales, most probably around 80M if things go satisfactorily but nothing more, 100M if things go very well, but reaching PS2 would be very, very unlikely. OTOH, Wii can reach 100M or more in 2012 without any problems, and it could beat even PS2 with a 10 years plan (that doesn't mean releasing Wii2 10 years after Wii).

2012-2013 makes sense the most, 2011 doesn't mainly for costs issues, releasing too early gave both to MS and Sony costs problems and to MS reliability ones too. Releasing Wii2 in 2011 would allow to barely make it twice as powerful as a PS3 and profitable, with very little margin to add also a camera with hands-free motion control, should Kinect sales show that it became necessary, and by then such a controller would be still too expensive for usual Nintendo strategies. And then there are a lot of other good reasons for not releasing so early.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Beuli2 said:

Ban them. You must put order on Beuli2Chartz.

OT: Holiday 2012. I think Nintendo wants tho holiday 2011 just only for the 3DS.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

I see a Holiday 2013 release at the earliest...I personally hope for a Holiday 2015 release.