By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Capcom - Monster Hunter 3 PS3 to Wii switch is no big deal

naznatips said:
rocketpig said:
naznatips said:
rocketpig said:
Wow, everybody jumping on Ck for that one... Anyway, I don't mind Capcom doing this. IMO, they're approaching this split platform problem this generation more intelligently than any other company around.

Got a game where motion controls might take precedence over graphics? Is the game also slightly more casual? Put it on the Wii. Put your other more hardcore games on PS3/360.

It makes far too much sense for anyone to complain about.

Wow, did I just see someone call Monster Hunter casual?  You sir don't know what hardcore is till you've played Monster Hunter.  One of the most difficult games currently on the market.  

Also, it seems Capcom has a multi-platform strategy, which is smart.  They aren't ignoring any one platform.  I respect them for that, and I wish more developers actually focused on developing quality titles of varrying genres across all platforms.

Hahah, no. I implied that Capcom is taking more of their casual games to Wii, not that it means Monster Hunter is casual because it's on the Wii.

I should have mentioned return vs. investment also. Capcom probably felt that it would be much easier to recoup the money on a limited market game like Monster Hunter on the Wii over the PS3/360.

Oh?  And what casual games would those be?  Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles, Monster Hunter 3, Okami, and Zack & Wiki represent their major efforts on the Wii so far.  None of those (least of all the insanely challenging Zack & Wiki) could be classified as casual.  

RE4 was a direct port. It was a savvy move to port it but it hardly involved any risk on their part. I would consider RE:UC a somewhat casual game... after all, it is a rail shooter. Not exactly hardcore stuff there.

Z&W and MH are definitely not casual... Which is why I clarified that not all games going to the Wii are casual but casual games are more likely to succeed on the Wii than PS3/360. I also mentioned that for games like Z&W and MH, they're rather limited in mass appeal... Which also makes sense to put them on the Wii. Companies like Capcom don't have to worry that selling 400k or less will bomb when their development cost is 1/2 of that of the 360 or PS3.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
naznatips said:
rocketpig said:
naznatips said:
rocketpig said:
Wow, everybody jumping on Ck for that one... Anyway, I don't mind Capcom doing this. IMO, they're approaching this split platform problem this generation more intelligently than any other company around.

Got a game where motion controls might take precedence over graphics? Is the game also slightly more casual? Put it on the Wii. Put your other more hardcore games on PS3/360.

It makes far too much sense for anyone to complain about.

Wow, did I just see someone call Monster Hunter casual? You sir don't know what hardcore is till you've played Monster Hunter. One of the most difficult games currently on the market.

Also, it seems Capcom has a multi-platform strategy, which is smart. They aren't ignoring any one platform. I respect them for that, and I wish more developers actually focused on developing quality titles of varrying genres across all platforms.

Hahah, no. I implied that Capcom is taking more of their casual games to Wii, not that it means Monster Hunter is casual because it's on the Wii.

I should have mentioned return vs. investment also. Capcom probably felt that it would be much easier to recoup the money on a limited market game like Monster Hunter on the Wii over the PS3/360.

Oh? And what casual games would those be? Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles, Monster Hunter 3, Okami, and Zack & Wiki represent their major efforts on the Wii so far. None of those (least of all the insanely challenging Zack & Wiki) could be classified as casual.

RE4 was a direct port. It was a savvy move to port it but it hardly involved any risk on their part. I would consider RE:UC a somewhat casual game... after all, it is a rail shooter. Not exactly hardcore stuff there.

Z&W and MH are definitely not casual... Which is why I clarified that not all games going to the Wii are casual but casual games are more likely to succeed on the Wii than PS3/360. I also mentioned that for games like Z&W and MH, they're rather limited in mass appeal... Which also makes sense to put them on the Wii. Companies like Capcom don't have to worry that selling 400k or less will bomb when their development cost is 1/2 of that of the 360 or PS3.

right on, rocket. that is why i make the bold statement to say we will see innovative games on wii and "blockbuster" type games on the other consoles. since development cost is lower, risk is lower and hence willingness to try something new and to experiment is higher. 

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

I agree with most of your statement except that RE:UC is casual because it's a rail shooter. I still haven't managed to beat it on normal and I consider myslef good at FPS games. Technically RE4 Wii is not a direct port because they had to go back and upgrade the visuals of the extra content that was PS2 exclusive to the GC graphics standard, but it certainly wasn't a major investment. Nor was Zack & Wiki, despite it's awesomeness. I doubt Z&W cost 1/4 the amount of the average PS3 or 360 game. It was beautiful in its simplicity.

Branko2166 said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:
I really hope Capcom isn't banking on the PS3's momentum lasting past christmas, they really need to stop being so fickle and make up their mind. And what evidence is there that people aren't just buying it as a Blu-Ray player, with the still poor attatch rate of games for the PS3 despite its renewed sales, one can only wonder. I could see RE5 going the same route as MH3 given the surprising success of RE4 and RE:UC, but this late into development, its unlikely. I wonder if this interview was just to try and warm up the PS3 crowd who has been dissapointed with them lately? Or do they yearn to suckle from Sony's cock once more?

No matter how you may like to spin it fangirl, Capcom will make decisions which benefit the company. There is no logical reason why they can't benefit from all the consoles. Why would they deny themselves the oppurtunity to sell to millions of potential customers??

As for evidence of the ps3 being used for other things besides a bluray player please refer to the ever improving software sales across all regions.

Software Sales are improving for the PS3, but they are still disproportionate to the increase in PS3 hardware. Do a little math, your computer should have a calculator program on it.

Capcom sees it has a solid base on the Wii and the only reason DMC4 and RE5 aren't currently slated for the Wii is due to the fact development began before the Wii upset the video game world. RE4 and REUC are testaments to the strength of the RE franchise on the Wii, it would be foolish to ignore a system whose userbase is starved for hardcore games as oppossed to the 360 which is saturated with them and the PS3 which has unpredictable software sales.

Girl Gamer Elite said:
Branko2166 said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:
I really hope Capcom isn't banking on the PS3's momentum lasting past christmas, they really need to stop being so fickle and make up their mind. And what evidence is there that people aren't just buying it as a Blu-Ray player, with the still poor attatch rate of games for the PS3 despite its renewed sales, one can only wonder. I could see RE5 going the same route as MH3 given the surprising success of RE4 and RE:UC, but this late into development, its unlikely. I wonder if this interview was just to try and warm up the PS3 crowd who has been dissapointed with them lately? Or do they yearn to suckle from Sony's cock once more?

No matter how you may like to spin it fangirl, Capcom will make decisions which benefit the company. There is no logical reason why they can't benefit from all the consoles. Why would they deny themselves the oppurtunity to sell to millions of potential customers??

As for evidence of the ps3 being used for other things besides a bluray player please refer to the ever improving software sales across all regions.

Software Sales are improving for the PS3, but they are still disproportionate to the increase in PS3 hardware. Do a little math, your computer should have a calculator program on it.

Capcom sees it has a solid base on the Wii and the only reason DMC4 and RE5 aren't currently slated for the Wii is due to the fact development began before the Wii upset the video game world. RE4 and REUC are testaments to the strength of the RE franchise on the Wii, it would be foolish to ignore a system whose userbase is starved for hardcore games as oppossed to the 360 which is saturated with them and the PS3 which has unpredictable software sales.

If you read my post again you would see that I wasn't saying Capcom should ignore the wii but that it seems more beneficial for them to sell across all consoles as it will make them more money. And you can do the math 37 million user base combined is a better market then 16.5 alone for the wii.

I can see now that your original post was more about your frustration that certain games will not be coming to the wii than it was about Capcom support for the wii. From my perspective Capcom has been one of the most supportive devolopers when it comes to the wii but you should accept that it is simply not possible to make games like RE5 or DMC4 on the wii without seriously scaling back on the graphics. Also I don't think the wii controls are well suited for the kind of gameplay that DMC is renowned for.

Around the Network
Diomedes1976 said:
gamingdevil said:
ckmlb said:
Not a big deal except PS3 graphics versus something that'll look like the PS2 MH games.

Yeah because:

1) From the trailer it looked like a PS2 MH game and
2) SMG and MP3 look like PS2 games.

It's not on the platform you like, get over it. It is a high-profile game from Capcom so the graphics will be the best on the Wii. It's not a low-budget spin-off like RE:UC. 

True ,it wont look as a PS2 game ,more like a Game Cube game ,just as those two games you just mentioned .

Since when did SMG look like a GC game? Diomedes, you always have so much hate for everything that is not Sony. You are a pure-bread fanboy. But I guess that just lumps you in with 95% of the members on this site muahahaha =)

Just kiss the tip.

Branko2166 said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:
Branko2166 said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:

If you read my post again you would see that I wasn't saying Capcom should ignore the wii but that it seems more beneficial for them to sell across all consoles as it will make them more money. And you can do the math 37 million user base combined is a better market then 16.5 alone for the wii.

I can see now that your original post was more about your frustration that certain games will not be coming to the wii than it was about Capcom support for the wii. From my perspective Capcom has been one of the most supportive devolopers when it comes to the wii but you should accept that it is simply not possible to make games like RE5 or DMC4 on the wii without seriously scaling back on the graphics. Also I don't think the wii controls are well suited for the kind of gameplay that DMC is renowned for.

Of course scaling back graphics is a given. And there is no reason a game shouldn't be on the Wii if supporting all consoles is the course of action you suggest.

TheBigFatJ said:
ckmlb said:
Not a big deal except PS3 graphics versus something that'll look like the PS2 MH games.

Christ, I don't even know what to say when the trolls make claims this outlandish. You don't see people making a huge deal out of the fact that the 360 is graphically more powerful than the PS3, do you?

That is because its not, when the SPE's are utilized fully.  Now I'll prepare for the tirade of false anti-PS3 claims to the contrary that I will ignore. 

So he just basicly said," We have rejected the ps3 and are porting old X360 titles on to the ps3 so we can make some money and get all the old ps3 exclusives and make them on X360 then port it to ps3 later on so we can make some money.

And cancel Monster hunter 3 because the game is not important I dont care if it sucks. The money is more important to us than anything. "

I love capcom.

mM
Girl Gamer Elite said:
Branko2166 said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:
Branko2166 said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:

Of course scaling back graphics is a given. And there is no reason a game shouldn't be on the Wii if supporting all consoles is the course of action you suggest.

Time will tell although I don't think they will be making any dmc port for the wii anytime soon, having said that if the wii picks up sales even more then Capcom may reconsider.